Roof Bars on W213 Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dazadd

Car
E-Class 220D AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
Does Anyone know if the Mercedes Roof Bars for the New E class estate allow the sunroof to open, all other makes of bad say no and the dealers don't seem to know if the oem ones will, if they don't it makes the choice far greater. Thank you.

I don't have the Merc roof bar (Thule for me) but the sunroof certainly looks close the bolts that hold on my roof box. There is no way I'd chance trying to open the sunroof with the bars on. I'd ask - why would you want to??

On long journeys the dogs sometimes have to stay in the car for 10mins whilst we use 'the facilities', it would just be an easy way or getting air in the car instead of the windows.

I have the S213 and use the Thule roof bars, I thought about the same and when I take a good look its not the height between the sunroof and the bottom of the bar that's a problem but the fact that the sunroof is the full width of the metal roof between the bars and would foul on the feet of the roof bars when lifted because they are narrower than the bars.

Hope this makes sense :doh:

Hope the pic helps.

Attachments

• Roof.jpg
    Roof.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Does Anyone know if the Mercedes Roof Bars for the New E class estate allow the sunroof to open, all other makes of bad say no and the dealers don't seem to know if the oem ones will, if they don't it makes the choice far greater. Thank you.

I don't drive estate car but Ive heard doesn't allow to open . Double check with dealer . Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Thule Wing Bars on my S213 and I able to open the sunroof all the way - clearance is tight but perfectly safe. Selected the ones suggested instore by Halfords.

Here you go - sunroof fully open. They are the standard feed recommended when you enter your reg into the Halfords configurator on their website.

Image-1.jpg Image-3.jpg

Mmm they look like the same as mine!

When I looked at mine in situ it looked as thought the roof would foul on the inside of the feet and I wasn't willing to open the roof to try it. It looks like I may have to now :)

Sorry if I gave duff information earlier good people.

Many thanks for your input Ozboy

There is about 1/2 mm clearance on each side with the rear feet but it's totally fine.

How is your car going, any issues? My Lane Assist, active braking and a few other related safety features have failed and I am taking it in tomorrow to have the rear radar replaced under warranty. Disappointing with less than 500 miles on the clock!!

There is about 1/2 mm clearance on each side with the rear feet but it's totally fine.

How is your car going, any issues? My Lane Assist, active braking and a few other related safety features have failed and I am taking it in tomorrow to have the rear radar replaced under warranty. Disappointing with less than 500 miles on the clock!!

.5 of a mil that is close no wonder I didn't try it lol.

Mine doesn't have all the gadgets yours does it only has premium pack, upgrade wheels and interior trim and darkened windows.

However I have a rear door which is standing well proud of the correct line, a rear seat belt which is fitted twisted, a wing liner which was not fitted correctly (the latter I fixed myself) others will have to wait until the first service is due they are not life threatening. I've done about 6.5K in it up to now.

But for a 44k car not good really, I'm used to Audi and never had problems like this in 25 years of owning them and changing them every 3 ish years.

Still its a nice car far better than the older model in my opinion, I would never have gone for the old one.

Last edited:
I agree I had a E250 CDI 212 and this engine (220) is so much better to drive around central london.

Hi all I have Thule bars for my W213 eastate can anyone please let me know how far from the windscreen should the bar be. I understand from there is supposed to be 700 mm between the bars.

The front bar sits directly above the B pillar and the rear is 700 mm behind.

The front bar sits directly above the B pillar and the rear is 700 mm behind.

Well I never knew that. Thank you, I've learnt something today :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom