Roof Bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speedireedy

Car
B class AMG Premium line
Hi! I’m new to this site so apologies if this post is in the wrong category.

I drive a B class AMG premium line 66 reg, registered in Jan 2017(W264). I have just bought some Mercedes roof bars from eBay with manual. The are roof bars are for a W264 however the rear bar is too short. The front bars are slightly bigger.
I have tried adjusting them but they are still about 2 inch too short.

Am I doing something wrong? Or do the AMG premium line need different roof bars for the year of car?
I’m perplexed why they won’t fit.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, would have thought that all B class,W246’s would be the same size. No difference in the roof, just body styling. Have you tried fitting them the other way round, front at the back…are they MB roof bars ??

Yes Mercedes roof bars and yes I’ve tried them on the front, (it’s the rear ones which appear too short) they tell you where to put each foot, NS front, OS rear etc.
I Just don’t understand it!

You could try calling roofbox.co.uk, I found them excellent when buying roof bars and a roof box. They’re very knowledgeable indeed and I ended up buying lower-cost items than I had planned as they suggested better and cheaper alternatives. I’m just wondering if they might have encountered your situation and have some free advice.

You could try calling roofbox.co.uk, I found them excellent when buying roof bars and a roof box. They’re very knowledgeable indeed and I ended up buying lower-cost items than I had planned as they suggested better and cheaper alternatives. I’m just wondering if they might have encountered your situation and have some free advice.
Thanks I will try!
It’s as if the rear bars have been cut down to fit

Thanks I will try!
It’s as if the rear bars have been cut down to fit
Try fitting the rear bars further forward. They’re designed to fit in quite specific locations, and so if you’re trying to mount the rear bar too far back then they may not fit.

On the ML below you’ll see that the roof bars sit surprisingly far forward when in the correct position - they’re not long enough to be mounted further back than this.

Click go open the photo and then zoom in to see in more detail.

full

Last edited:
Try fitting the rear bars further forward. They’re designed to fit in quite specific locations, and so if you’re trying to mount the rear bar too far back then they may not fit.

On the ML below you’ll see that the roof bars sit surprisingly far forward when in the correct position - they’re not long enough to be mounted further back than this.

Click go open the photo and then zoom in to see in more detail.

full
Thanks but the B class has fixed points rather than rails

Thanks but the B class has fixed points rather than rails
Ahhh, in that case I’m all out of ideas. Are they definitely for the same generation of B-Class?

A couple of years ago I purchased a set of Genuine MB roof bars on EBay for my S205 estate and had similar problems. The listing for the bars showed them fitted to the vendors car and also had a picture of the instruction leaflet that listed my car C Class estate (S205), GLC (X253) and GLA (X156) Bars arrived and would not fit my C Class. With the lockable covers open I could read the part number which showed that they are for GLA as the part code started A156. Contacted vendor who said that they fitted his GLA and as the C estate and GLC also appeared on the fitting instructions he had listed them as fitting the C Class as he believed this was the case. Bars returned to vendor and the correct bars obtained a little later with the all important A205 part number. It seems that MB have tried to save printing costs with one set of instructions covering 3 different cars. The bars fit in the same way but are different lengths for each model.

Have you checked the part number? I believe for the B Class it should start A264, the label is only present on one of the feet but will be clear when the cover is unlocked. It could be that the instructions cover more than one model as was the case with mine. If the bars are incorrect you will need to contact the vendor to request a refund as part is not as listed. The vendor then sends a return label and upon return of the goods you will be refunded.

OP , if they are genuine MB they should have a part number on them , can you post those numbers on here ?

A couple of years ago I purchased a set of Genuine MB roof bars on EBay for my S205 estate and had similar problems. The listing for the bars showed them fitted to the vendors car and also had a picture of the instruction leaflet that listed my car C Class estate (S205), GLC (X253) and GLA (X156) Bars arrived and would not fit my C Class. With the lockable covers open I could read the part number which showed that they are for GLA as the part code started A156. Contacted vendor who said that they fitted his GLA and as the C estate and GLC also appeared on the fitting instructions he had listed them as fitting the C Class as he believed this was the case. Bars returned to vendor and the correct bars obtained a little later with the all important A205 part number. It seems that MB have tried to save printing costs with one set of instructions covering 3 different cars. The bars fit in the same way but are different lengths for each model.

Have you checked the part number? I believe for the B Class it should start A264, the label is only present on one of the feet but will be clear when the cover is unlocked. It could be that the instructions cover more than one model as was the case with mine. If the bars are incorrect you will need to contact the vendor to request a refund as part is not as listed. The vendor then sends a return label and upon return of the goods you will be refunded.
Thanks Farmer boy, that’s exactly what has happened!
I have check the part number and they are for an A class. The feet are compatible with both A & B class but the bars are different lengths! And as you say MB use one manual for both variants!
Just not confusing enough!!!!

Thanks for all your help! 👊👊

When I bought my MB roof bars for the W124 they didn't fit either but there is an adjustment nut and bolt underneath to make them. Have a look to see if the feet can slide along the bars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom