Roof down/sub-zero

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gaz_l, Feb 3, 2019.

1. gaz_l

gaz_l Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mini Cooper S, VW Beetle Cabrio
    Been out in the VW today with the roof down, people look at you like you're mental. As far as I'm concerned it was a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky and as I own a convertible the roof goes down. It's the law, you know.

I used to take the SLK out with the roof down too, although it could get a bit hairy when the roads were slippery (the Beetle can't pull the skin off a rice pudding). I must admit, I was missing the SLK's air scarf today though.

So does anyone else go topless in this weather, or is it just me?

Cheers,

Gaz

GeeJayW, Pontoneer, doo01 and 2 others like this.
  2. Oldbrook

Oldbrook Member

Car:
    Mercedes ML350
    Hi not me but saw a black slk on the A1 yesterday Cambridgeshire with the roof down

Pontoneer likes this.
  3. MissyD

MissyD Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E200 1993, CLK 350 2005
    Was actually thinking of doing this yesterday was lovely here. People already think I crazy, so it wouldn't bother me.

Pontoneer, baxlin and gaz_l like this.
  4. Rorywquin

Rorywquin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Facelift SL400 AMG Line
    Yes !!-If it is a nice day, the roof is always off. Heated seats, air scarf, good a/c and a wind deflector all help make the journey quite pleasant.

GeeJayW, Pontoneer and baxlin like this.
  5. baxlin

baxlin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo C70 and JZR 3 wheeler
    Out in the Volvo C70 with the top down yesterday, lovely. That’s why I bought it.

It’s been off the road for a few weeks, though, waiting for a turbo part, so when Mrs B needed her car I’ve had to use the JZR three wheeler. This is Morganesqe, with no heater or weather gear at all, apart from smallish windscreen which you look over. I wore motorcycle jacket and a beanie hat, except when really cold when I wore a full face helmet!

Pontoneer likes this.
  6. alabbasi

alabbasi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

No, people looked at YOU like you're mental and it's because you are :)

Pontoneer likes this.
  7. SL500AMG

SL500AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL500 AMG Sport
    My daughter turned up today in the slk with the roof off, I wanted to drop ours having Airscarf but was vetoed by SWMBO :-(

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

GeeJayW and Pontoneer like this.
  8. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    My neighbour has a beautiful old classic, Topless Riley. I have never, ever seen it out with a roof up or on.

I did happen to notice that when (in this weather) he alights from the cockpit, he looks like he has just munched an industrial quantity of weapons grade Botox. Seriously he resembles Cliff Richard with a permanent fixed stare. Skeletor would feel at home with that look.

Any suggestion that it might have been just a tad chilly is met with derision. I note that recently, a huge set of WWI flying goggles have found there way onto his boat race when driving past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mactech, carlls, GeeJayW and 2 others like this.
  9. Smart320

Smart320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R172 SLK 55AMG , Toyota RAV4 3 dr
    Just been to Exeter to test drive a SLK 55amg , drove it with the roof down, never bothered to put it up , didn't even sit in it with the roof up! Bought it though!

Mactech, gaz_l, GeeJayW and 5 others like this.
  10. rf065

rf065 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    I must admit, despite owning a SLC300 with heated seats & airscarf & a motorcycle I find the sight of a convertable, roof down & occupants wearing hats, gloves and scarves somewhat comical!

markmifsud, SL500AMG and Pontoneer like this.
  11. 400ixl

400ixl Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E250 AMG Sport Convertible
    Sunny day and 10 degrees tends to be when I start putting the roof down. If I felt the need for a hat then I wouldn't bother.

SL500AMG and Pontoneer like this.
  12. Benzmanc

Benzmanc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R231 SL 350 + Honda Blackbird
    If the temp is below 10deg my roof stays up, however it's been parked up since wednesday as i've been moving various building material prior to starting the block paving of my driveway

13. baxlin

baxlin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo C70 and JZR 3 wheeler
    Really?

I have to say I was more uncomfortable with the Volvo's top down on a couple of occasions last summer than I was yesterday, as the sun was so hot. Top up and aircon on cold was the Order of the Day!

14. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    No , not just you .

I remember doing a topless run to Aberdeen in the SL , passing through Dundee with snow falling , and exchanging waves with a Bentley driver , also top down , who was going in the opposite direction.

I’m just mindful of the guidance in the owners manual , lest I crack the plastic windows in the soft top .

The SL is currently hibernating with its hard top on since I no longer have my mum’s garage to store it in - need to find somewhere else come the summer as I don’t have a garage of my own .

15. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    As long as the sun's shining so there's a little solar gain to help things along, we have the roof down in Angie's SLK even at (modest) sub-zero temps.

Airscarf, heated seats, heater and the wind deflector make it a much more pleasant experience than Bruce's Riley-driving neighbour has :eek:

Rorywquin likes this.
  16. Rorywquin

Rorywquin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Facelift SL400 AMG Line
    I need a hat - the wind just tickles my bald patch and it gets cold :eek::mad:

Smart320, brucemillar and Tomham like this.
  17. GeeJayW

GeeJayW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250d AMG Line P+ Estate (S205), MX-5 25th Anniversary Edition
    On my own; top down as long as it's not raining and it's not long run on the motorway (tyre noise from other close by vehicles is too much for me lugholes these days).
    With SWBO; depends on the wind direction, planetary alignment or some other important factor. So sometimes lid down, sometimes up.

Rorywquin likes this.
  18. GeeJayW

GeeJayW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250d AMG Line P+ Estate (S205), MX-5 25th Anniversary Edition
    I wish I had enough hair to have a bald patch. :(

Rorywquin likes this.
  19. Eddy77

Eddy77 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab, 2019 Audi A6 Avant 40 TDi S-Line
    Nice day with the sun out; even if cold, roof goes down. But not often in the winter tbh!

20. Moultoneer

Moultoneer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK320
    Back in my Stag days, if ever I was starting a medium to long journey, as long as it wasn't raining at the start, the top was dropped.

I can remember the very early days of my open toppage. Having read about all the problems I had coming my way I was always listening out for strange noises and I remember driving along with the top down and hearing a strange clicking noise.

I tried to make it out but it had stopped. then it was back, then it wasn't. I was starting to get worried when I realised that what I was hearing was the crickets in the verge.

On another occasion I wa driving along, toppless, when the girlfriend started going hysterical. I looked over in alarm to see her, arms raised, staring at her lap where a small spider had landed.

In the winter I'd do long journies with hat, scarf and gloves on and the girlfriend even bought me a pair of ski goggles. More of a joke I think but they were actually brilliant for preventing watering eyes. (I'm still wearing to this day, 30 years later, in the winters while out on my push bike.)

Oh the joys of open toppage. Why did manufacturers have to spoil it by introducing stupid, complicated power hoods/tops that are bound to fail. What ever happed to KISS?

LG

Pontoneer, st13phil and brucemillar like this.