Roof down/sub-zero

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Been out in the VW today with the roof down, people look at you like you're mental. As far as I'm concerned it was a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky and as I own a convertible the roof goes down. It's the law, you know.

I used to take the SLK out with the roof down too, although it could get a bit hairy when the roads were slippery (the Beetle can't pull the skin off a rice pudding). I must admit, I was missing the SLK's air scarf today though.

So does anyone else go topless in this weather, or is it just me?

Cheers,

Gaz

Was actually thinking of doing this yesterday was lovely here. People already think I crazy, so it wouldn't bother me.

Yes !!-If it is a nice day, the roof is always off. Heated seats, air scarf, good a/c and a wind deflector all help make the journey quite pleasant.

Out in the Volvo C70 with the top down yesterday, lovely. That’s why I bought it.

It’s been off the road for a few weeks, though, waiting for a turbo part, so when Mrs B needed her car I’ve had to use the JZR three wheeler. This is Morganesqe, with no heater or weather gear at all, apart from smallish windscreen which you look over. I wore motorcycle jacket and a beanie hat, except when really cold when I wore a full face helmet!

Reactions: 219
My daughter turned up today in the slk with the roof off, I wanted to drop ours having Airscarf but was vetoed by SWMBO :-(

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

My neighbour has a beautiful old classic, Topless Riley. I have never, ever seen it out with a roof up or on.

I did happen to notice that when (in this weather) he alights from the cockpit, he looks like he has just munched an industrial quantity of weapons grade Botox. Seriously he resembles Cliff Richard with a permanent fixed stare. Skeletor would feel at home with that look.

Any suggestion that it might have been just a tad chilly is met with derision. I note that recently, a huge set of WWI flying goggles have found there way onto his boat race when driving past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just been to Exeter to test drive a SLK 55amg , drove it with the roof down, never bothered to put it up , didn't even sit in it with the roof up! Bought it though!

I must admit, despite owning a SLC300 with heated seats & airscarf & a motorcycle I find the sight of a convertable, roof down & occupants wearing hats, gloves and scarves somewhat comical!

Sunny day and 10 degrees tends to be when I start putting the roof down. If I felt the need for a hat then I wouldn't bother.

If the temp is below 10deg my roof stays up, however it's been parked up since wednesday as i've been moving various building material prior to starting the block paving of my driveway

I must admit, despite owning a SLC300 with heated seats & airscarf & a motorcycle I find the sight of a convertable, roof down & occupants wearing hats, gloves and scarves somewhat comical!
Really?

I have to say I was more uncomfortable with the Volvo's top down on a couple of occasions last summer than I was yesterday, as the sun was so hot. Top up and aircon on cold was the Order of the Day!

Been out in the VW today with the roof down, people look at you like you're mental. As far as I'm concerned it was a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky and as I own a convertible the roof goes down. It's the law, you know.

I used to take the SLK out with the roof down too, although it could get a bit hairy when the roads were slippery (the Beetle can't pull the skin off a rice pudding). I must admit, I was missing the SLK's air scarf today though.

So does anyone else go topless in this weather, or is it just me?

Cheers,

Gaz
No , not just you .

I remember doing a topless run to Aberdeen in the SL , passing through Dundee with snow falling , and exchanging waves with a Bentley driver , also top down , who was going in the opposite direction.

I’m just mindful of the guidance in the owners manual , lest I crack the plastic windows in the soft top .

The SL is currently hibernating with its hard top on since I no longer have my mum’s garage to store it in - need to find somewhere else come the summer as I don’t have a garage of my own .

As long as the sun's shining so there's a little solar gain to help things along, we have the roof down in Angie's SLK even at (modest) sub-zero temps.

Airscarf, heated seats, heater and the wind deflector make it a much more pleasant experience than Bruce's Riley-driving neighbour has :eek:

On my own; top down as long as it's not raining and it's not long run on the motorway (tyre noise from other close by vehicles is too much for me lugholes these days).
With SWBO; depends on the wind direction, planetary alignment or some other important factor. So sometimes lid down, sometimes up.

Nice day with the sun out; even if cold, roof goes down. But not often in the winter tbh!

Back in my Stag days, if ever I was starting a medium to long journey, as long as it wasn't raining at the start, the top was dropped.

I can remember the very early days of my open toppage. Having read about all the problems I had coming my way I was always listening out for strange noises and I remember driving along with the top down and hearing a strange clicking noise.

I tried to make it out but it had stopped. then it was back, then it wasn't. I was starting to get worried when I realised that what I was hearing was the crickets in the verge.

On another occasion I wa driving along, toppless, when the girlfriend started going hysterical. I looked over in alarm to see her, arms raised, staring at her lap where a small spider had landed.

In the winter I'd do long journies with hat, scarf and gloves on and the girlfriend even bought me a pair of ski goggles. More of a joke I think but they were actually brilliant for preventing watering eyes. (I'm still wearing to this day, 30 years later, in the winters while out on my push bike.)

Oh the joys of open toppage. Why did manufacturers have to spoil it by introducing stupid, complicated power hoods/tops that are bound to fail. What ever happed to KISS?

LG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom