Roof rack for mountain bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david_e

Car
E 220 CDi Coupe 2013
I need to take two bikes to my holiday destination. Any tips on the best value bars and bike system and the best places to buy?

Many thanks, david

I can't comment on best value because that is subjective, by I can say I regularly carry up to 5 bikes on the roof at speed over distance and would not consider using anything other than Thule aero bars and bike carriers.

If you are using narrow MTB tyres (below 1.9") or road tyres then carry the front wheel separately on a wheel carrier as the handlebars will shimmy at speed otherwise.

I use Thule 591and 511 for MTB or recreational bikes, and Thule 561 for roadbikes, MTB with narrow tyres, or high speed. (requires separate wheel carrier).

I used to use a Thule roof system to carry my windsurf kit years ago and it was brilliant. I borrowed a bike carrier that fitted over the boot on my C220 saloon a couple years ago. Worked perfectly and felt very secure too just a pain to get to the boot if you need to without dismantling it all.

If I had to buy a system today I too would go for a Thule roof system.

I use Thule 591and 511 for MTB or recreational bikes, and Thule 561 for roadbikes, MTB with narrow tyres, or high speed. (requires separate wheel carrier).[/QUOTE]

Thanks - for limited use would securing the wheel to stop it rotating be sufficient and taping the bars stop them shimmiing?

grasmere said:
I used to use a Thule roof system to carry my windsurf kit years ago and it was brilliant. I borrowed a bike carrier that fitted over the boot on my C220 saloon a couple years ago. Worked perfectly and felt very secure too just a pain to get to the boot if you need to without dismantling it all.

If I had to buy a system today I too would go for a Thule roof system.

Having windsurfed from 1980 - 1997 am thinking about coming out of retirement and getting a short board again - still got my old Thule board and mast/boom fitting kit:)

david_e said:
I use Thule 591and 511 for MTB or recreational bikes, and Thule 561 for roadbikes, MTB with narrow tyres, or high speed. (requires separate wheel carrier).

Thanks - for limited use would securing the wheel to stop it rotating be sufficient and taping the bars stop them shimmiing?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think that would probably do it. There is no rotation issue, the wheel obviously can't rotate is it is held by a strap, and if you use electrical tape through the wheel and around the downtube then you might stop the high-speed shimmy, if indeed you would get any anyway. It really depends on tyre size and speed. If you do notice the handlebars wagging away (look at the shadow on the ground or reflections in the windows of lorries etc) then slide the bike carries together so the handlebars touch/wedge.

I'm certain you'll have no bother unless you are using narrow MTB tyres.

Having windsurfed from 1980 - 1997 am thinking about coming out of retirement and getting a short board again - still got my old Thule board and mast/boom fitting kit

he he - what fun - I still have 'windsurfing instructor' on my CV though its 10 years since my last 'carve' - I play golf now instead though I intend to do a bit next coastal holiday if possible - at least I'll put my harness and gear in the case :eek:

david_e said:
Having windsurfed from 1980 - 1997 am thinking about coming out of retirement and getting a short board again - still got my old Thule board and mast/boom fitting kit:)

Sounds familiar ...

I windsurfed from 1987 up till 2000 when kid 1 appeared, and I've got a garage full of kit to remind me. Hopefully it won't be too long before they are dragged out of retirement, dusted down and get wet again! :D

grasmere said:
he he - what fun - I still have 'windsurfing instructor' on my CV though its 10 years since my last 'carve' - I play golf now instead though I intend to do a bit next coastal holiday if possible - at least I'll put my harness and gear in the case :eek:

I took up golf, great game but time consuming, still play but it suffers because I bought a yacht to get the family into sailing, so alot of time at the coast - hence the need for bikes for the kids to get about under their own steam:)

I'm impressed with the Thule 591's as they are dead easy to get your bike in/out, can easily accept oversized downtubes, plus are lockable.

The only problem is the £, have seen them for £64ea, or £56 ea if you buy 2 or more. From roofrackshop.co.uk

Thanks, I will probably go for the cheaper version and make sure we take it easy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom