Roof rack whistle noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercedesDriver

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Jaguar XF Sportbrake 25t X260; Mini Cooper R50
Guys is it just me or you also have this annoying whistle noise coming from roof rack bars. Mine are oval Mercedes racks for W211 saloons and whistle is almost unbearable especially on long trips.

Mine whistle like crazy so I only leave the roof bars on if I'm using the roof box - I expect it causes a bit of drag too despite the oval shape.

Take the cross-bars off if you're not using them (presumably most of the time?). Your fuel consumption at higher speeds will improve!

I'm taking them off when not used for box but wanted to know if there are any silent on the market. I only use them for long trips and noise is exactly what I don't need then. On short trips I can live with them.

I've heard the Thule wing bars are supposed to be very quiet - not tried them myself.

I've not looked at the W211 ones but wouldn't be surprised if the M-B bars were actually Thule (as the towbars are Westfalia etc.).

I haven't tried it myself but I have heard that wind deflectors (Google search-images for- roof rack deflector), make a lot of difference to wind noise.

Looks like Thule and probably is so I was thinking if maybe wind noise adapter rubber for T slot would do any help. Has anyone tried with these adapters? Does it really silence the whistling?

I haven't tried it myself but I have heard that wind deflectors (Google search-images for- roof rack deflector), make a lot of difference to wind noise.

Makes sense but does it really make a difference. What I wouldn't want is to add another possible source of the sound on the top of all others.

Makes sense but does it really make a difference. What I wouldn't want is to add another possible source of the sound on the top of all others.

The noise is created by the flow of air over the bars so if that flow is disrupted or deflected, in theory, the noise should lessen or go. Theoretically. Years ago, I had a set of bars that whistled when nothing was on them but were okay when I had the roof box on. Like I said, I couldn't recommend a deflector from first hand experience.

Same , the roof bars for my w219 are dead quiet.

Here's a handy hint to avoid roof bar aero noise.

Tape up the exposed channel underneath, that adjustment of width presents.

Have you inserted the rubber trim into the T-slot? This will help a lot with whistling but there will still be some wind noise.

Next time I'll try this. Thanks.

I have Thule Aero bars, they are not quiet. I think it may be partly due to the fact that I have a sunroof. I will try to make sure the underbar gaps are sealed up.

I had the MB branded Thule Aero bars for my C270. I made the mistake of not fitting the rubber into the t-slot on the top once and suffered the whistling noise Once the rubber strip was fitted they were very quiet compared to other "generic" (ie square section) roof bars I had used previously.

I've got Thule 591's with the Mercedes bars Andrew are a lot quieter than the same bike carriers with the Audi aero bars.

We are on the verge of moving house so have left the bars on. I've put the rubber brings in and you can't tell they are on.

Good advise, got some see-through tape and the difference is amazing. Thanks.

Yes, any tape that's waterproof does the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom