Roof Remedial work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cl55 amg

Car
CL55 AMG
Hi guys after some advice regarding a damp patch in my attic, I have had somebody round who recommends the following:

Flashing to the chimney stack, front apron and the ridge tiles on side hip could do with re-pointing, he has quoted £350 including materials.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks

What access is he proposing - if it includes scaffolding, probably not too bad

I would take any quote (not an estimate) from any reasonably reputable builder to do any roof work of less than £500 to be acceptable.

I would however expect some sort of guarantee from him that if it still leaked after the work he would come back FOC and effect a repair.

It sounds okay. You could ask him what weight lead he favours. It doesn't matter too much which he prefers but the clarity of his explanation will reveal his expertise.

It sounds okay. You could ask him what weight lead he favours. It doesn't matter too much which he prefers but the clarity of his explanation will reveal his expertise.

Thanks for that I will ask him.

He confirmed he will remove all old lead (three sides) of Chimney as its the wrong type and replace with Code 4 :confused: also said he was planning to replace 10 or so tiles as some are cracked.

For clarity, is he replacing the chimney flashings etc. with new, and repointing the hip?

If he's just repointing everthing then he's just using a mortar mix - at £350 I'd say that's not cheap.

As previously mentioned, however, if he's scaffolding (some do, some don't) then that would be a significant part of the £350.

Edit, just seen the above.

Code 4 is the weight (thickness) of the lead.

Make sure he rakes out the mortar bed (ideally 25mm) back to a sound base then repoint other wise after the first harsh winter his pointing will just blow and pull out the old stuff with it. Also are the flues used? If not might be worth putting top hat cowls on as a precaution.....and then there's the flaunching. As said code 4 is the thickness.

Make sure he rakes out the mortar bed (ideally 25mm) back to a sound base then repoint other wise after the first harsh winter his pointing will just blow and pull out the old stuff with it. Also are the flues used? If not might be worth putting top hat cowls on as a precaution.....and then there's the flaunching. As said code 4 is the thickness.

Yes the flue is still in use, I will also mention the flaunchings. As for scaffolding He said he will use a ladder to keep costs down, not for me as its a 3 story Victorian House with high ceilings :eek:

Code 4 = 4lbs/sq.ft
Wouldn't use anything less on a chimney.

Brave man to work 3 storeys up off ladders!

Last edited:
might get him to put my christmas lights up while hes there..or is it a bit early :eek:

Never too early. Might as well get the sprouts on as well:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom