Rosberg vs. Hamilton.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When all is said and done here, it will be a financial decision assisted by brand loyalty and national pride. Mercedes want German drivers in their cars for sure. They also believe that at present their car is good enough to win without Hamilton driving it. Rosberg proves this (so far). Lauda does not like LW and makes absolutely no attempt to disguise this. Mercedes do not like seeing both their cars in the kitty litter without completing a single lap. LH (as pointed out by Flango) had to apologise to save his seat.

There are others inside the team who view LH as having little commitment to the sport and more commitment to his jet setting life style. Some feel that rocking up and driving is not enough and cannot be sustained. Yesterdays "entire" performance gives them a louder voice. LH was seen to be "slow" of the line - some say "not sharp" this allowed NR a straight pass on the outside. Many believe that this was the trigger for what was to follow. A fired up LH not thinking we can get a 1- 2 here. Simply thinking "I can get in front of Rosberg"

The politics in this sport are greater than the sport itself. Many forget that but are then surprised with Red Bull and Kyviat. As button said "what happened to his podium two weeks ago?"

When all is said and done here, it will be a financial decision assisted by brand loyalty and national pride. Mercedes want German drivers in their cars for sure. They also believe that at present their car is good enough to win without Hamilton driving it. Rosberg proves this (so far). Lauda does not like LW and makes absolutely no attempt to disguise this. Mercedes do not like seeing both their cars in the kitty litter without completing a single lap. LH (as pointed out by Flango) had to apologise to save his seat.

There are others inside the team who view LH as having little commitment to the sport and more commitment to his jet setting life style. Some feel that rocking up and driving is not enough and cannot be sustained. Yesterdays "entire" performance gives them a louder voice. LH was seen to be "slow" of the line - some say "not sharp" this allowed NR a straight pass on the outside. Many believe that this was the trigger for what was to follow. A fired up LH not thinking we can get a 1- 2 here. Simply thinking "I can get in front of Rosberg"

The politics in this sport are greater than the sport itself. Many forget that but are then surprised with Red Bull and Kyviat. As button said "what happened to his podium two weeks ago?"

First bold quote LH? Really? Maybe not his best start, but 'not sharp'??

Second quote, terrible eh, wanting to win, what does he think he is, a formula one driver or something! I think being happy to come in second behind your other team car is pathetic*, and makes the sport not worth watching. Thank goodness for competitive drivers who go for the win.

* When you know you have the possibility / ability to win.

Yeah, sack Lewis. He should be testing all week (even if it isn’t permitted) not swanning around the globe. Who does he think he is – James Hunt? And trying to re-pass the guy he’s fighting the championship for after the guy had used all his battery just passing him and had none to run to the next corner with – madness! Did he want to win the race or something? Sack him, it’s not as though Lauda pleaded with him to join the team to start the winning streak. Or that he sells MBs in the USA. Hey, a primpy Finn can sell to an American audience just as well as any dude with a gold chain. Sack him, let him sit and watch the races from the grandstands. Let him see when no one gives him a drive just how useless he is. Pole on Saturday – must have been luck – being the blunt tool that he is.

Gents I have not said LH should not want to win or is stupid for wanting to win. He didn't win. He didn't complete a lap. What Lauda said (and I agree). Is that he could have won and come first. Instead he took out both cars. I have not asked for him to be sacked and nor do I believe he should be. What I have said is that this will be decided by politics and money. By crashing and taking his team out of the race with no constructors points, he is not doing what they pay him to do. I have no opinion on his lifestyle. But his team do. Toto was recently quoted as supporting that lifestyle "as long as he is bringing home results" Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I don't think the post was aimed at you Bruce.

It made me laugh though. I think Lewis committed to the overtake (as soon as Nico slowed) by the time he was being pushed out he had too much momentum to get out of it.

Racing incident. End of.

And as far as I know Lewis apologised to the whole team, not to Nico.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is reported that Lewis has apologised to the entire team.

Lauda said "he looked me in the eye and apologised"

Toto has confirmed they will still race with no orders.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Lewis and Nico have not spoken directly to each other for nearly a year now. Lewis had to apologise to the team or he wouldn't have a seat and I doubt he will next season everyone's getting fed up with the prima Donna attitude

brucemillar said:
LH was not alongside when he (LH) was on the track - again under the rules this gives him no right to expect NR to concede the line. NR stayed on his racing line - given it was lap one the Stewards could hardly argue that. Basically LH left himself with nowhere to go but onto the grass. Had he waited and had he the speed advantage that he seemed to have? he could have passed Rosberg with no drama on the next straight.
1. Lewis DID have part of his car alongside Nico with a car's width of track still available. 2. Nico did NOT stay on his racing line. Well, unless Nico's racing line when approaching a right hand bend is the right of the track. And of course all the drivers following are incompetent because they were all on the left. 3. If Lewis had waited, Nico would have by then sorted out his settings and regained the same power as Lewis, making overtaking next to impossible. Nico took advantage (rightly) of Lewis's lower power at the start. Lewis would have been failing as a top driver not to return the favour the instant he had the opportunity. I loved Ricciardo's comment after the race when being interviewed about Vettel's complaints about being overtaken. With a smile Daniel said something to the effect that he's not one to play follow the leader like most of the other drivers :) He certainly wasn't including Lewis in that statement.

But hey, what a great race it turned out to be.

Both drivers were obviously briefed on their interviews, I guess they were told not to blame each other as it will only add fuel to the fire and I'm sure MB want to handle it internally and stop the media having a (bigger) field day

Lewis handled his interview very well imo, apologising to the team and not wanting to blame Nico on live TV. Nico on the other hand seemed to stumble a bit and repeatedly said I will go with the stewards but it was blatantly obvious that he blamed Lewis and did not agree with the outcome.

With regards to comments made earlier about Lewis possibly losing his seat if they had to choose between them, what if he wins the championship again? It would be Nico's third attempt and failure. Vettel may not move yet from Ferrari but I think Danny Ric would from Red Bull and may be a good asset to the team

I believe it was a racing incident but I think it was more NR thought as you can block but have to leave a car sized gap clearly not the case LH should of held back for another time clearly more talent than NR could of passed any time later in the race, regarding drivers moving LH has said before he would love to go up against SV in the same car I could see him joining him at ferrari as equal number 1 but then SV leaving via the back door to merc for a tittle wining car only my 2 pence worth

Lewis and Nico have not spoken directly to each other for nearly a year now. Lewis had to apologise to the team or he wouldn't have a seat and I doubt he will next season everyone's getting fed up with the prima Donna attitude

You really really really don't like him do you Ian? :D

If it came down to a insurance claim, I think I know who the blame would be apportioned to..;)

Yeah, because it's so close to driving on the road isn't it!

Lol - nutter. :D

In the final analysis what happened on Sunday affects one person and one person only - Lewis. If he misses what was an opportunity to close the points gap to NR and loses the title then he pays the price.
Mercedes will still win the constructors title and a crash (not a shocking event in motorsport) gets its name plenty publicity.
The second coming together of its drivers in what is now the third season of them being team mates is hardly any reason to dismiss either. (If a driver is to have a coming together with another car it is in the order of a 1 in 20 probability it will be his team mate. Higher given proximity due to similar performance.)
That Lewis was accelerating harder than Nico was it is entirely natural and predictable that he would seek a way past on a track easily wide enough to accommodate two cars. Mercedes humiliation would have been for Lewis to slow and them both be passed by the pursuing field - or worse - rammed by it.
Mercedes would do better by providing LH with a reliable car rather than bitching about how he lives his life (his life, even though F1 is infinitely safer than in years past, is the one more likely to end prematurely). If Mercedes believe a dutiful number two driver would serve better then they need to revisit the Schumacher era when the sport lost viewers in droves. The sport's backbone historically has been the inter-team driver rivalry. My respect has always been for the likes of McLaren who have never shied from fielding the two best drivers in the same team. Astute too - depriving the competition of a quality driver.
All German Mercedes team? Maybe, but when I hear it from someone who doesn't hate Europe, I'll be more easily persuaded. Until then, three world championships (two of them for Mercedes) are reasons enough for Lewis to remain in the employ of MB.

Last edited:
You really really really don't like him do you Ian? :D

I have met both Lewis and Nico and to be honest chalk and cheese.

Nico is a true gentleman has time for everybody a really nice guy.

My opinion of Lewis I suspect is the same as Rosberg's :)

Nicest guy on the F1 scene at the moment Jenson Button by a mile

Nicest guy on the F1 scene at the moment Jenson Button by a mile

I can't argue with that Ian. Jensons Twitter feed is really light hearted and fun. (Same as Danny Ric) Lewis's is somewhat different.

However putting Lewis's personality aside there's no doubting he's quicker than many in a car. I know you say his driving style has stressed his car to the limit this year but he's always driven the same (even in theMcLaren years) but that wasn't detriment to his car the last 2 championships!

Ant.

I can't argue with that Ian. Jensons Twitter feed is really light hearted and fun. (Same as Danny Ric) Lewis's is somewhat different.

However putting Lewis's personality aside there's no doubting he's quicker than many in a car. I know you say his driving style has stressed his car to the limit this year but he's always driven the same (even in theMcLaren years) but that wasn't detriment to his car the last 2 championships!

Ant.

He's a racer for sure and I have total respect for any F1 driver compared to the rest of us they're super human. I just think some of them get too big for their boots and develop massive ego's that then cloud their judgement and race strategy. Lewis isn't the first and he won't be the last.

There's some talent out there at the moment for sure and great to see Max doing well. You know I'm not a fan of current F1 but as I said I have total respect for the drivers and race engineers they operate in a different league to other forms of motorsport

I know you say his driving style has stressed his car to the limit this year but he's always driven the same (even in theMcLaren years) but that wasn't detriment to his car the last 2 championships!

Ant.

It doesn't prevent him from using less fuel than NR either.

Riccardio to Mercedes, Hamilton to Red Bull and Sainz to Ferrari. That should mix things up nicely.

Well. They're getting quicker Ian (the cars). This years Pole in Spain was 2 seconds quicker a than last year. 2017 cars will be another 2-3 seconds quicker again. I know you disagree but I'm gobsmacked by the technology in a geekish kinda way.

It's sad we lost the V12/10/8's and the amazing noise but times change and we need to move on. If we can get the speed back to 2004 ears or better then all the better.

I'm so glad that we took our little one to Silverstone in 2013 so she could feel the noise before the new engines came in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom