Rose tinted glasses!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
I have been accused of looking at Formula 1 through rose tinted glasses when I claim that this modern 'racing' is not in my personal opinion as exciting as in previous decades.

I have just been having a giggle at this little clip of footage and decided to share it, but those that watch it need to be wearing rose tinted glasses :p :D

Is it better? Is it more entertaining? Each to their own and lets respect each others opinions on what is the better.

On a sad note I also found a clip of Senna's accident and was amazed... big time on how the race marshalls did not go near the driver for a considerable period of time. The clip was not that long (thank goodness) but if Grav is about could you pm me your thoughts please? I can guess the reason as the drivers injuries were not very nice.

Regards
John the tinted glass wearer

glojo said:
I have been accused of looking at Formula 1 through rose tinted glasses when I claim that this modern 'racing' is not in my personal opinion as exciting as in previous decades.

On a sad note I also found a clip of Senna's accident and was amazed... big time on how the race marshalls did not go near the driver for a considerable period of time. The clip was not that long (thank goodness) but if Grav is about could you pm me your thoughts please? I can guess the reason as the drivers injuries were not very nice.

You have made a perfectly valid point and the clip above of the previous decades looked far more exciting/interesting then the what I now see on TV.

Yes the marshals did not respond immediately and were more interested in waving the flags...:rolleyes:

glojo said:

Regards
John the tinted glass wearer

They did the right thing...secure safty on the scene and wait for the medics.You can see blood loss was involved after Senna was moved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvun6cUfgJE&mode=related&search=

adam

Are those Japanese commentators more excited than Murry Walker ? :crazy:

big x said:
They did the right thing...secure safty on the scene and wait for the medics.You can see blood loss was involved after Senna was moved.

adam

Hi Adam,
I take onboard what your saying and sadly we all know with hindsight there was nothing anyone could have done, but without hindsight... The marshalls with flags were first class, I am talking about those stood around by the front of the vehicle, some with fire extinguishers! They were NOT looking for flames, smoke, fire etc. Would there be more risk of a fire where they were simply standing about or should they perhaps try to examine the driver to see if he is okay, or.... is there a chance of fire, if so then would it be advisable to get ready to extract the injured person?

Please note I am ASKING, as I am aware we do have experts here. The marshalls with flags were first rate, I am simply querying those just standing there doing nothing.

The Italians were very quick to try to prosecute the team??

I will never forget schumacher doing his usual fisting the air celebration when everyone else on the podium were in sombre mood.

John

I think, generally, formula 1 is not as exiting as it was, but maybe I am remembering the good things and ignoring the bad:D I think the big problem now is, that as a spectator sport, on most accasions, the outcome of the race is decided at latest, by the first round of pit stops, and the race then becomes a procession. I do enjoy the qualifying as it is basically a time trial against the clock, with no team orders, and I am not sure whether Schumacher is the best driver, or he is driving the best car that any of the top drivers could win in.

I have just watched the first race of the Sperbike and coming into the last bend, there were four bikes vying for first place, much more enjoyable for the spectators.

Yeah, I have to say that it appeared/felt more exciting to watch in the old days, I suppose some of that is maybe because I'm older now and not so obsesive about the sport like I used to be, or maybe it's because it's not so exciting that I don't enjoy it as much, I'm not sure.

I do think though that now with all the rules and regulations these days it has made it all it bit clinical. Sad really.

But then again I suppose you could say that about modern life in general; The people who make up all these rules/laws just can't stand seeing other people enjoying themselves.

Ciao.
:(

Geoff2 said:
I have just watched the first race of the Sperbike and coming into the last bend, there were four bikes vying for first place, much more enjoyable for the spectators.
:D Brilliant, the second race was breath taking.

A short while ago I watched a re-run of the 1976 Formula 1 Gp at Austria, the lead changed SIX times on the last lap. Six times!! This was not anything unique, racing was always competitive, always exciting. I hate with a vengeance todays so called sport.

Massa was described by everyone as a mediocre less than average Formula 1 driver that was EXTREMELY lucky to get into the Ferrari. Now everyone is trying to say how good he has become! In dry conditions he is quite clearly as quick, if not quicker than his number one driver, I took stick for saying this earlier in the season, but guess what? :D He is quicker :p :p He has been the perfect number two driver, but this season the number two Ferrari has finally been allowed to be competitive! Is Massa a better driver than Barrichello or Irvine? I personally think not, the Ferrari is an awesome car, that has proved extremely competitive for many, many years.

John

glojo said:
I am simply querying those just standing there doing nothing.

That's exactly what I did when I saw what happened. I was sitting at home watching TV and I was shocked all the same.

When someone that gifted dies in front of you there is not much else to think about.

The footage on the internet doesnt show the initial crash, the twitch or the spar from the suspension in his helmet. That is something only a person on the track can see or someone watching it live.

The bleeding was irrelevant. He died from trauma caused by foreign object penetration.

I was upset to say the least.

miro said:
I was upset to say the least.
Hi Miro,
I totally agree and it saddened me that Frank Williams did not call Damon Hill into the garage. I am very much olde school and believe in paying respect and maintaining tradition. The car should have been put into the garage and the doors shut! I have read the horrible reports about the injury and sadly it was non survivable!

Respect for the man, respect for how he lived.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom