Rot in peace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cheddar

SUPPORTER
Car
CLK63 AMG, s211 E320 CDI
This thing lives on a quiet corner of my auntie’s farm, it was last driven 30yrs ago apparently. Anybody know what model it was from these pictures?
0cedcb3334f21766bcf085c236811649.jpg
4267788edc09f1037e435bf6bf3a11d0.jpg
6ba248182c22c7115f992185f7e4572a.jpg
c07a6b27421176c959b4efcd8c26e13e.jpg

I think you are correct.
I have been looking through my old pictures for some when it was not quite as ‘gone’, but the headlights looked like the one in your link when it had some as I remember.
Such a shame a fuel pump fault came to this lol.

At least it's picturesque!

Is that a VIN plate on the front slam panel- not the rusty one [altho it might clean up- amazing what a pan scourer can sometimes reveal ?] the silver one.

Never thought to check that actually, will have a better look next time I’m up there.
Real shame to see it like this as the first time I ever went up there it just looked like you could jump it off and drive it away.
Since then it’s been completely obscured by vegetation for decades and then used as a practice area for a trials bike.
I bed the DVLA would have a laugh if we wanted to retain the reg off it.

I think you are correct.
I have been looking through my old pictures for some when it was not quite as ‘gone’, but the headlights looked like the one in your link when it had some as I remember.

It must be in good mechanical condition as it's still doing 60mph......

This thing lives on a quiet corner of my auntie’s farm, it was last driven 30yrs ago apparently. Anybody know what model it was from these pictures?
0cedcb3334f21766bcf085c236811649.jpg
4267788edc09f1037e435bf6bf3a11d0.jpg
6ba248182c22c7115f992185f7e4572a.jpg
c07a6b27421176c959b4efcd8c26e13e.jpg
It is a W108 , rather than a W111 , going by the round instruments , although both series had otherwise similar dashboards .

The engine is a straight six with injection, which points to it being a 250SE , 280SE or 300SE rather than a 250S ( which would have had carburettors ) .

That radio will still be worth a fair bit , working or not .

Last edited:
I think you are correct.
It would most likely have been that six plunger mechanical injection pump , which were known to give trouble and horrendously expensive to overhaul or replace .

Bosch have started remanufacturing them again but , alas , too late for this particular car .

That radio will still be worth a fair bit , working or not .

My thought precisely.

In the late eighties I had a Mercedes-branded Becker Grand Prix radio that came off a Merc installed in my (non-MB) car.

It was this model (the photo from the Internet).

s-l1600.jpg

Amazing looks and quality. The thick rubbery buttons felt very solid and way better than the flimsy controls on other radios and cassette players at the time

I took it off the car before selling it, and it was lying around in the house. A few years later, after I left the house, my father needed a radio for his car and asked if he could use this one, I said sure. The fitter then reported back that the radio was faulty. I told my father to bin it. Still kicking myself for it...

Now the radio was working perfectly when I removed from the car I sold several years earlier. I think the issue was that the radio had a wire that was supposed to be connected to the instrument cluster, this was a feed used to adjust the volume when the vehicle's speed went up. A rather novel idea at the time that many back street car audio shops may have not heard about. I left it disconnected on my car, but I can see that it is easy to get confused and feed this wire with live 12V supply... which probably fried the radio. It also had both a main 12V feed from battery (fused), and another low-current 12V feed from the ignition which informed the radio if the ignition was off or on (so that the radio came on automatically with ignition, but also allowing it to be turned-on manually without ignition) which just added to general confusion.

Anyway... it's gone now. RIP.

contact wheeler dealers . that ll be some challenge for them .

Yes that would keep them busy for a while, was thinking more along the car SOS route lol, comes complete with genuine sob story too.
I also thought about putting it on eBay as a good project or barn find, only needs a fresh MOT etc, but eBay’s already full of bullshit like that.
I’m up there again tomorrow with the bike, might get some better ideas if there is anything at all worth removing from it, will take some better pics.
I wish I took it home years ago, we all have regrets when we look into the past.

I'm thinking its a non runner, the steering wheel is missing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom