Rotary Controller not working so no Sat-Nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MilesWFB

Car
2015 C220d S205
Hello
In my W204 c-class the rotary controller in the central armrest does not detect spinning (Pressing, Up, Down, Left and Right work fine) and due to bad design, the'Becker Map Pilot Module' navigation system does not work since the most important input uses rotation from the rotary controller which does not work.

Are there any easy fixes for this or nothing really to do? (Mercedes quoted me at over £400 for the replacement of the rotary control!!!)

Hello
In my W204 c-class the rotary controller in the central armrest does not detect spinning (Pressing, Up, Down, Left and Right work fine) and due to bad design, the'Becker Map Pilot Module' navigation system does not work since the most important input uses rotation from the rotary controller which does not work.

Are there any easy fixes for this or nothing really to do? (Mercedes quoted me at over £400 for the replacement of the rotary control!!!)

I repaired mine myself, a bit fiddly - the plastic shaft inside snaps. Very common fault. Let me know if you need help.

I repaired mine myself, a bit fiddly - the plastic shaft inside snaps. Very common fault. Let me know if you need help.

Hello, Thank you for the reply. How certain is it that it is the shaft? Could it be some sort of sensor? (Only asking because I have no idea)

Hello, Thank you for the reply. How certain is it that it is the shaft? Could it be some sort of sensor? (Only asking because I have no idea)

I’m 99% sure, if the up/down/left/right and click function work but the spinning doesn’t. If you take it apart you’ll find the internal plastic shaft has snapped. Very common fault.

I’m 99% sure, if the up/down/left/right and click function work but the spinning doesn’t. If you take it apart you’ll find the internal plastic shaft has snapped. Very common fault.

Ok, that's great! What is the procedure to do it and is it very hard? Also, part cost seemed very cheap (Is metal a better option for durability or does only plastic work?)

Ok, that's great! What is the procedure to do it and is it very hard? Also, part cost seemed very cheap (Is metal a better option for durability or does only plastic work?)
I used an Aluminium replacement part, that way it’ll never fail again.

It’s not too hard, but it is fiddly. It depends if you’ve done similar work before? You need to dismantle the control unit. There are people you can post it to and they’ll repair and return it (for a fee) but it’s really not that difficult I’d recommend you have a go.

See the following video,

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I used an Aluminium replacement part, that way it’ll never fail again.

It’s not too hard, but it is fiddly. It depends if you’ve done similar work before? You need to dismantle the control unit. There are people you can post it to and they’ll repair and return it.

Ok great. I'm up to do, Guess patients is key😂. Ok, I will have a little look around online. Any videos or online tutorials you recomend?

Ok great. I'm up to do, Guess patients is key😂. Ok, I will have a little look around online. Any videos or online tutorials you recomend?

Yes.

This first: (how to remove the unit)

Then this: (how to repair)

Good luck!

Yes.

This first: (how to remove the unit)

Then this: (how to repair)

Good luck!

Wow, Thank you so much for your help!!! Removing that command unit cable seems like a nightmare:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Need to dive into this a bit more since I don't want to make the situation worse. Thank you again though.

Last edited:
This a relatively easy DIY fix, I had the same problem a while back, made more difficult until I bought some proper Torx screwdrivers then easy to dismantle, I wasn't sure how to get the ribbon cable out so I cut it and just resoldered it with another piece of ribbon cable to rejoin it and give me more to play with when refitting (later found a video). The shaft I fixed with Araldite cheaper than the aluminium one !

This a relatively easy DIY fix, I had the same problem a while back, made more difficult until I bought some proper Torx screwdrivers then easy to dismantle, I wasn't sure how to get the ribbon cable out so I cut it and just resoldered it with another piece of ribbon cable to rejoin it and give me more to play with when refitting (later found a video). The shaft I fixed with Araldite cheaper than the aluminium one !

Ok, thank you. Since I do not own a soldering iron would it be better to try to unplug the cable or is there really no chance?

Wow, Thank you so much for your help!!! Removing that command unit cable seems like a nightmare:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Need to dive into this a bit more since I don't want to make the situation worse. Thank you again though.

Hi,

Taking the cable out is actually very very easy. He makes it sound complicated in video. Get this ‘pick’ tool. Makes it so easy. No need to cut and solder.

Where are you based? If you’re local I can help.

Thanks,
Abs

Hi,

Taking the cable out is actually very very easy. He makes it sound complicated in video. Get this ‘pick’ tool. Makes it so easy. No need to cut and solder.

Where are you based? If you’re local I can help.

Thanks,
Abs
That sounds great. Was worrying since I do not have a soldering iron.

Based in kent

That sounds great. Was worrying since I do not have a soldering iron.

Based in kent

I thought I’d have to cut it too but honestly it wasn’t hard at all. Using the pick tool etc. Just take your time. You’ll see when you take it apart that getting the plug out isn’t too hard. :) it’s a weird design but the pick tool makes it easy.

Ah Kent is a bit far, I’m in East Midlands. :(

I thought I’d have to cut it too but honestly it wasn’t hard at all. Using the pick tool etc. Just take your time. You’ll see when you take it apart that getting the plug out isn’t too hard. :) it’s a weird design but the pick tool makes it easy.

Ah Kent is a bit far, I’m in East Midlands. :(

Yes tools do help a bit:D.

No worries, it is quite far. I'll manage to do it. I'll book a Sunday in for myself to do it then😂.

Yes tools do help a bit:D.

No worries, it is quite far. I'll manage to do it. I'll book a Sunday in for myself to do it then😂.

Good luck, any issues give me a shout!

Here's a video showing how to get a the cable so you don't need to cut it like I did

I'm also in Kent (near Ashford) and had the same problem a couple of years ago on my S204, bought the aluminium shaft but decided DIY was too much for my sausage fingers, took the car to an ICE mob on the A28 just on the outskirts of Ashford, they did the job and charged me £120. Just had a look on Google Maps, looks like they're no longer there, but if you decide against DIY ask a locla ICE mob for a price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom