Rotten cracked rear sub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daziog

Car
Mercedes c220 cdi sport blue efficiency
Good afternoon everyone
im new to this site and owning a 59 plate c220 cdi sport blue efficiency,
for a while it’s been pulling to the left when I let off the acceleration and I’ve had it to kwik fit for 4 wheel alignment many of times To which has never solved the problem,
they suggested that I change the camber bolts on the back as they were rusty, so I ordered them for the rear and came to change them this weekend taking all the under trays off only to find my rear subframe is snapped where the rear arm mounts to the frame and I mean totally come away.
ive read on this forum regarding this matter and some people have had them changed by MB under warranty.
im just wondering if there’s any additional information I will require before making the call to MB in the morning.
thank you

I'm afraid you're really at the hands of the dealer... it's down to them whether they want to try and approach MB for goodwill contribution. If they refuse point-blank, I suggest that you try a different dealer before giving-up.

Also, it really depends if the car has been serviced at a dealer up to now (I am guessing not, because if it was, then the rotting suspension would have been picked up earlier).

The reason this is relevant, is that even if MB do agree to consider a goodwill contribution, then the process can take weeks, while (I am assuming) you need your car back on the road asap - and without Mobilo you're not eligible to a loan car.

Still, it's worth a shot giving the dealer a call. Is the car driveable at all? The dealer will need to inspect it before considering how to proceed. If it's not driveable, can you have it delivered to them, or is it too much trouble and cost and not worth your while?

Thanks for the reply I’m not too fussed about them fitting it if I’m honest I’d be more than happy to just supply the new subframe if it makes it easier for them. but I’m pretty sure they won’t give in for sure but I’ll not give up as it could of been fatal if not noticed and I carry my two young children in the car always so that’s the part that’s niggling me the most.

Yes I have owned the car over two years and serviced it my self and done most things myself as and when it’s needed it, i wouldn’t need a loan car as I have my van I can use while it’s off road,
it is drivable but at slow speeds as when you brake sharply the back end dances all over the road.

Well, regarding the safety aspect, they will most probably argue that had the car been serviced by a dealer to the manufacturer's specifications, which includes an annual anti-corrosion inspection, then the rust would have been detected early-on and well before it became a safety concern, and to be honest they do have a point because a piece of iron does not become rotten overnight.

Don't get me wrong, I serviced all my cars myself until I was too old to do so, and I am all in favour of it, but at the same time I was also aware that DIY servicing effectively gives the manufacturer a 'get-out-of-jail' card, and I knew that if any issues developed with the car, I would be on my own.

Also, think about ot this way, the dealer services during the two years you have owned the car would probably have cost you shy of a grand, so even with having to fork-out for a new subframe you are probably not out-of-pocket overall (and, there's no guarantee that MB would have picked-up the bill anyway).

As for MB supplying the part to a third-party garage, and without inspecting the car, I think it's highly unlikely, but at the same time it is still worth giving the dealer a call in the morning and see where you stand.

So the man who serviced your car failed to see the advanced corrosion of the subframe when last serviced.
It may have been picked up if it was serviced by someone with Mercedes experience

Thank you all for your comments and taken them all on board and I will ring them tomorrow and see what they say regarding the matter.
once again thanks everyone

Good to see Kwick-Fit are on the ball regarding your wheel alignment :rolleyes:

Any professional garage would have checked the integrity of the suspension components prior to wielding the spanners to adjust the alignment.

K

I have heard inchape Merce dealer at Nottingham (I know a bit of a drive from you) have replaced a few subframes no quibble.

Maybe you could get it transported to their if they are happy to do so. (wouldn't advise driving it!) if you have no luck at a local dealer.

Regarding the comments that corrosion would have been picked up during a service inspection, MB may claim that but I'm not convinced they would have in practice. I get the impression the the sub frame is made of thin gauge steel and corrodes from the inside such that it's too late by the time it's spotted. Didn't one of our own members inspect his subframe and say it was OK only for it to fail in a matter of weeks. I inspect mine before the MOT every year but it doesn't give me very much confidence that it won't fail at some point.

Who knows, I have covered mine in Dinitrol ML corrosion prohibitor.

It would be good to know if there are batches of VIn numbers affected by this issue, seem to be a lot of the early w204 chassis, but no way of knowing.

There are thousands of w204 , s204 etc on the road, surely its only a small percentage that suffer? May be a bad batch supplied to Mercedes that should be traceable.

Reactions: 190
Regarding the comments that corrosion would have been picked up during a service inspection, MB may claim that but I'm not convinced they would have in practice. I get the impression the the sub frame is made of thin gauge steel and corrodes from the inside such that it's too late by the time it's spotted. Didn't one of our own members inspect his subframe and say it was OK only for it to fail in a matter of weeks. I inspect mine before the MOT every year but it doesn't give me very much confidence that it won't fail at some point.

I think you are right, but it's probably irrelevant to the topic of this thread..

Since the OP didn't have the car inspected annually by the dealer, there's no way of now proving that the dealer wouldn't have picked up on it.........

Which is why I said earlier that by not having the car serviced at a franchised dealer, you are in fact giving the manufacturer a 'get-out-of-jail' card - and sadly experience shows that MB will not hesitate to use it whenever possible.

As above, corrosion is not necessarily the cause of these subframe failures.

Who knows, I have covered mine in Dinitrol ML corrosion prohibitor.

It would be good to know if there are batches of VIn numbers affected by this issue, seem to be a lot of the early w204 chassis, but no way of knowing.

There are thousands of w204 , s204 etc on the road, surely its only a small percentage that suffer? May be a bad batch supplied to Mercedes that should be traceable.
Traceable ? You would think so . But from what I can see no one is looking that closely at the issue to pin it down to one batch of subframes. It will need someone in the USA to die in W204 that suffered catastrophic rear sub frame failure until anything is done about it.

Hopefully that never happens , but there is defiantly an issue and I am convinced MB know all about it.

Traceable ? You would think so . But from what I can see no one is looking that closely at the issue to pin it down to one batch of subframes. It will need someone in the USA to die in W204 that suffered catastrophic rear sub frame failure until anything is done about it.

Hopefully that never happens , but there is defiantly an issue and I am convinced MB know all about it.

If it's something that would normally be picked up during routine servicing, then it will becone an issue for the owner (if they skimped on servicing) or the garage (if they were negligent), rather than for the car manufacturer.

Doubt if it would be picked up during normal serving . I do not have the MB service schedule for W204 C class to hand . I would expect to see 'inspect underbody' (or words to that effect) on there somewhere . But unless it says 'check rear subframe for corrosion and signs of stress/cracks , use inspection camera on inner voids' it is unlikely to be picked up on routine service work anywhere.

Most seem to be found during MOT or when the car starts to drive oddly or just after hearing a cracking sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom