rotten egg smell E55 part 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickjonesn4

Car
E55K AMG Wagon, Porsche 993 C2S, Polestar 2
So had the exhaust checked and nothing wrong with it and the smell has vanished... until today I put the a/c into the windscreen de-mist function and the rotten egg smell was back instantly.

Could it be something up with the a/c or heater?

Any help much appreciatd

Get an aircon bomb from halfrauds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some on here reckon you can just buy a can of Dettol antibacterial spray and spray that in to the air intakes.

Does the same job for less dosh.

Not tried it myself yet.

Thanks all

12 months into ownership and finally a problem that is cheaper to solve than expected!!!

Got a Halfords just round the corner so will book in

It's possible that your windscreen wash holder is the culprit - completely empty the contents of it by simply sitting there pressing the screen wash stalk, pour a small amount of bleach into the reservoir with about a pint of water, leave it for an hour or two, then empty the reservoir as you did before, then top it up with a good concentrated windscreen wash and put the vents on full blast to see if it's made a difference.

The air con clean at halfords has sorted the smell out. Cheers for the tip.

Euro car parts are doing the meguirs air cleaner on offer at the moment - £8 or something

Get it !!!

I had a really bad smell issue when I turn the a/c on last year. So bad my wife and kids did not enter the car. So I had some quiet rides until I fixed it.

After spending a fortune buying all kind of a/c chemicals and hours of cleaning and bombing, I spent some extra hours with google and found out tha MB has actually a procedure for this "known" issue! In a W204 You need to remove the cabin filter to access the temperature sensor on the condenser. Then you remove the sensor and put the MB cleaning tool (which is actually a long nozzle with spray holes on the right places) through the hole of the sensor. Now you can spray the heck out of the condenser with a cleaning solution MB is using. I do not remember the name of the solution but it worked miracles for me!

Now I have the family back in the car and no more quiet rides. :bannana:

Did they check the whole exhaust, ie the catalytic converter(s) as well?

Rotten egg smell is usually a sign of hydrogen sulphide, so I would be checking the function and integrity of the catalytic converters to at least rule that possibility out, assuming you have not done that already.

Last edited:
Funny enough had this same problem with my Audi SQ5 and always after washing it. Seemed as though water had built up somewhere and when blower or A/C used horrible smell would follow. I was able to clear the smell by putting the A/C on full for a few minutes and that did the trick. Not sure your problem is the same but who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom