Rough cost to remvove scratches and swirls

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by reflexboy, Aug 1, 2011.

1. reflexboy

reflexboy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
    If there are any detailers reading this could you give me a rough price to polish out light scratches and swirls on a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I only really need the scratches and swirls removed as I'm quite happy to clay, polish and wax it myself afterwards. I just think it's a bit of a waste to spend £170 on a DA polisher that I would probably only use once. Thanks.

2. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    Adam87 can do it for you. About £250 depending on how bad it is.

1 person likes this.
  3. billywhiz

billywhiz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55
    Sounds a fair price

4. Ian_Mac

Ian_Mac Hardcore MB Enthusiast

The question is would you be happy/confident enough to do it yourself with DA polisher?

If you are then why not buy a DA, do the work yourself then offer it for sale second hand/used once.

There always appears to be a market for these (half thinking about 1 myself).

You may loose £40/£50 but this will probably work out cheaper than paying a pro.

Having said that you know you'll get the results paying a detailer, it's a tricky decision.

1 person likes this.
  5. C43AMG

C43AMG MB Club Veteran

Car:
    500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ) 2014 Brabus Smart ( 451 Coupe ) Mapped 130bhp
    + 1 for Adam.

6. OP
    OP
    reflexboy

Car:
    Looks like Adam is the man (thanks Olly and Peter) BUT-Love a challenge, think I'll buy one. Dodo Juice DAS6 looks a good buy.

7. e55

e55 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W211 E55
    I brought a polisher and tried it. You cant beat the work of professionals

1 person likes this.
  8. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tip Cab.
    For my money - buy the polisher, use it carefully at first, you'll soon get confident and get good results. Good lady bought me a DAS6 for Xmas and daughter added the Sonus pad set, first use was on my 968 coupe, have since used it on the C270 and the 968 cab. Not just for swirl mark removal, also good with polishes and glazes. Lots less elbow grease required!

Preparation is the key though - wash and clay the car before starting paint correction. Then use 3M blue masking tape to mask off all edges and shut lines, it's too easy to go through the paint in these areas.

9. kastrati67

kastrati67 New Member

Car:
    mercedes
    I run the Aurora Putney Ltd valeting service.We do all the buffing which will remove the scratches.We are based on Putney Bridge road.Regards Tony 07957635727

10. Mike Walker

Mike Walker Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes W204 C220cdi Estate Ford Fiesta Mk 4
    Thinking of buying one myself so happy to go 50/50 with you and then share it from there onwards:bannana:

11. mikec32

mikec32 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes C32 AMG
    Its a good starting point, but be aware that you will have to seriously put the time in to get true correction on MB paint with a d.a. Before I sold my C32 AMG, I paint corrected for the new owner as part of the deal. Unfortunately my rotary (at the time) broke and was away for repairing. So I had to fully paint correct my MB with a d.a., which took just over 40 hours to do properly. Here was a 50/50 off it all that time ago:

[​IMG]

But yes, you most definitely can remove defects with a d.a., but there really is alot of elbow grease.
    Also you really don't need to worry about cutting through clearcoats on MB's with a d.a.
    You wouldreally have to be silly with a crazy technique to cut through with a d.a. on a Mercedes.

1 person likes this.
  12. terrymcg

terrymcg Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W164 ML 320CDI
    Off topic slightly - Do you have anymore pics of your 32 with those wheels on?? Were they genuine?

13. OP
    OP
    reflexboy

Car:
    Thanks for the offer Mike, but I feel we probably live a bit far apart. The amount saved by each of us would be surely swallowed up in fuel by collecting it from each other. Dam good idea though. :thumb: