Rough idling and driving after injector seal change.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JORD1DOTCOM

Car
Mercedes c220 diesel w204
Hi.
I have just changed my injector seals as I had the 'black death'. After the job I have just turned the engine on and the car is tanking quite a bit with white smoke blowing from the exhaust. (even worse in reverse or drive). Is it likely that I have damaged an injector or am I missing a step towards the end of this process??..
From what I can gather, an injector may now be stuck open/ have some dirt in it...
Any suggestions would be appreciated 🙂

Did you get old copper washer surely out from bottom? Is the new injector sitting at same height than others? Part number same/replaced by number? New or refurb injector? Injector plug pins not withdrawn?

Did you get old copper washer surely out from bottom? Is the new injector sitting at same height than others? Part number same/replaced by number? New or refurb injector? Injector plug pins not
Did you get old copper washer surely out from bottom? Is the new injector sitting at same height than others? Part number same/replaced by number? New or refurb injector? Injector plug pins not withdrawn?

Just checked everything and it all seems fine.. should I prime the fuel system??

Apparently the 651 engine can be awkward for air locks. How many miles have you driven?

Around 114k
Er, I meant since the injector work.
Some write 15 miles should clear the air lock, if there is one, some think more.
There is a Star procedure to purge the system I believe.

I haven't drove it I just let it idle on the drive.. this is what I was unsure of as I can only find a couple of Americans that say do about 20 miles and it will sort its self out

I haven't drove it I just let it idle on the drive.. this is what I was unsure of as I can only find a couple of Americans that say do about 20 miles and it will sort its self out
I don't like the idea of driving on an uneven engine as it puts uneven pressure on the big end bearings, but like you I've read the 'drive it' cure here and there.
Assuming you don't have Star you can't purge the system.

Good diagnostics might point to an issue,
poor injector performance (could be air lock anyway),
bad or failed electrical connection to an injector......

You might do a continuity test of each injector,
1st at each injector,
then at the ECU plug.

I could give you the wire colours and pin outs at the ECU for a 2014 Viano. No guarantees they would be the same though.

The obvious question has to be, how was it before the cleaning? Other than the carbon build up, was it OK?
How and what parts of the injector were cleaned? You say injectors, was it really more than one?
If it's just one, with that injector electrically disconnected how does it run?

The obvious question has to be, how was it before the cleaning? Other than the carbon build up, was it OK?
How and what parts of the injector were cleaned? You say injectors, was it really more than one?
If it's just one, with that injector electrically disconnected how does it run?
It used to judder slightly at times at lights which is what prompted me to start this other than that it seemed OK other than the black death symptoms (fumes black tar etc)... I have tried to pull off the drive amd now it just stalls...also the engine management light is on 😳😳

It used to judder slightly at times at lights which is what prompted me to start this other than that it seemed OK other than the black death symptoms (fumes black tar etc)... I have tried to pull off the drive amd now it just stalls...also the engine management light is on 😳😳
I'm going to try the connector thing one by one but I don't have a voltage tester at hand to test the continuity

I'm going to try the connector thing one by one but I don't have a voltage tester at hand to test the continuity
If I take either connector 1 or 3 out the car stalls.. if I take out either connector 2 or 4, nothing really changes

So only running on two cylinders. Guess the white smoke is the other two misbehaving. In theory, unless the injectors were competely knackered the white smoke would reduce when you unplugged 2 or 4.
As it was seemingly OK before I expect the clue is in exactly what you did you did to each injector.
Still not sure which ones were removed.
Of course now you have a MIL, it's worh getting checked too.

If the EML is on what is the code?

Unlikely as the injector plug wiring is usually fed through a duct, could they have been swapped?

Unlikely as the injector plug wiring is usually fed through a duct, could they have been swapped?
Other than taking apart the injectors themselves and cleaning them or buying refurbed injectors I'm out of ideas.. I took all 4 out as I wanted to do a thorough job I did make sure I kept them in order but I am only human so possibly but not likely... I've got to get new stretcher bolts and washers I suppose..these 2 were the least trouble too?! they seemed unaffected by black death.

I took all 4 out as I wanted to do a thorough job I did make sure I kept them in order but I am only human so possibly but not likely
I was thinking of the, unlikely, possibility of the plugs being swapped and plugged onto the wrong injectors, and so controlling the wrong injector.

If you had put the injectors into different positions, while it wouldn't be ideal, I wouldn't expect your symptoms.

It sounds like you are losing the correct pulse at 2 injectors. There is no reason to suspect the ECU, so that leaves wiring to injectors or the injector solenoids. But I also don't see reason to suspect the solenoids, certainly not 2 of them.

Are the pins at the injector sockets ok?

I think for a few quids buying a cheapo DVM to check the resistance at the injector sockets would be good for elimination at least.

Although- we still haven't eliminated the possibility of an air lock, but this would means at each injector.

Check that the pins in the injector plugs have not either pushed back into the plug body, or broken off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom