Rough road handling! Life span on struts and springs?

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by IMD, Oct 5, 2015.

1. IMD

IMD Active Member

Car:
    1997 SL500
    Hi all,

I'm wondering what the effective lifespan is of factory fitted struts and springs? My R129 is really starting to rattle and bounce alarmingly when driving over rougher country roads.

I know that the staggered 18 inch wheels don't help and I'm having some suspension components checked on Thursday. I had a new anti roll bar and bushes replaced recently.

Could I need new struts? Mileage is 104,000.

If so, with a coil compressor tool, is it easy to replace struts? I've not done the job before and fancy saving some labour costs.

Thanks, Ian

2. bolide

bolide MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW E39 525 Diesel Touring
    The underside of an R129 is 99% W124. My recommendation on W124s is to look at suspension bushes, ARB bushes, suspension top mounts, wheel bearings, springs, engine mounts and track rod ends before shock absorbers

Front springs tend to go soft and new springs can improve the ride dramatically

I assume it has standard shocks at the rear & struts at the front

Nick Froome

3. Doodle

Doodle MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    I don't think you need to remove the springs at all, certainly the front shocks can be removed without touching the springs.

As Nick suggests, by 100k the bushes will be pretty tired if they're original.

4. OP
    OP
    IMD

IMD Active Member

Car:
    1997 SL500
    Thanks Nick,

I'm having the front bearings checked at John Haynes on Thursday, so I'll ask them to give it a once over. I'm starting to get a slight whine at speed, so I think a bearing is in need or adjustment or replacement.

Ian

5. WDB124066

WDB124066 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
    Did all of my suspension at 100 000 miles and what a difference that made! I fitted the new springs after the rest of the job was done. Don't let anybody tell you springs don't wear out - they do - how I will never fully understand, but they do!!!

Car is a joy to drive now, even though it is 30 plus year old technology it is magnificent with new suspension and steering - well worth it IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  6. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    The R129 is a relatively heavy car for a 2 seater - Approx 4,000 pounds [ 1.8 tons] - a new set of springs and struts might well help. 18inch wheels and low profile tyres won't help either.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.