Rounded Sump nut

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Owen

Car
1992 190E 1.8 84K
Went to do an oil change on my 190E, all ready to go, got on the ground socket in hand only to find some fool had put the sump nut on with such force the head of the nut was a cylinder and same fool did so without putting a copper washer behind the nut :mad: - end of rant.

Tryed everything to shift it with no luck. Then while doing some on-line reasearch into the problem I found this:

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer...WNUP000160&currentType=BM1000005&search=false

Not the cheapest solution (£22 for the set) in the world but it worked first try and is one of those tools I know will save the day again. :bannana:

Whack on a 12 sided 12mm socket and you're away.
Obviously not too hard, dont want any cracked sumps, and make sure the socket is lifetime guarenteed, either snap-on or halfords profesional are...

Bolt Extractor

Thanks
I did try that but it just rounded the head a little more.

Another trick is to cut the head down with a hacksaw and to use a spanner on the now smaller bolt head.

e.g. 13mm bolt rounded. Cut down to 10 mm.

pipe wrench is a good way but another trick is to drill a hole through the center of the nut into the sump this weakens the bolt so when the pressure of the wrench get it the bolt colapses you will have to fit a new bolt anyway just try not to damage the threads

weld another nut (from the inside) onto the nut - weld will stick to steel, but not ally - and it heats it up at the same time (also works for bu66ered security wheel nuts)

best to hammer a smaller 6 sided socket as these grip the head across the flats and less chance of slipping. i think halfords impact sockets are 6 sided
and you can buy individual sizes.

by the way, theres a good chance it doesnt need a copper washer, my 123 has never had one and isnt one listed on parts catalogues either....
I think ive used a pipe wrench with good teeth in the past...

Jay

Thanks for all the suggestions,
RE: the copper washer, it may not need one but I don't think it will do any harm. The main reason I started this thread was because I think this (see URL above) is a cool tool that does what it was designed to do and does it very well. Just like an MB
Thanks All
Owen

I have had this problem of rounded off oil drain plugs and my solution was to drive the car round to Kwik-Fit where a mechanic put it up on a ramp and removed the drain plug in seconds. He didn't want to charge anything for doing it, but I gave him enough to buy a few pints. However, he did stress that removing nuts and bolts from the underside of a car is very much easier if the car is raised so that one can stand under it. I have found this to be true of many jobs - it isn't so much that the job itself is difficult but rather that one doesn't have adequate access to it so that it is difficult to keep spanners properly aligned whilst trying to undo a nut.

Regards,

JohnG

There are evil devices available, nowdays advertised mainly to remove locking wheel nuts where "the key socket is lost of the bolt head is deformed". Also explains where all those alloy wheels go and how that nice man from the AA got the wheel off so quickly when you had lost the key

In essence it is a thin walled socket but with a sharp tapering reverse thread cut inside. You screw it gently anti clockwise on to the offending object until it starts to bite. Then you use driver or torque wrench and at some point it will have got enough purchase on the bolt to back it out. These come in a variety of sizes and some can cope with locking nuts that have rotating collars. (hence Insurance companies are getting jumpy about mega-expensive alloys and may want proximity alarms fitted in some cases)

However, I doubt you have enough distance between top of sump nut head and sump body for this to work and the sump nut is not going to be a uniform surface.

So sadly you may have to get someone to do the proper internal version, which is drilling into nut & use a bolt extractor, which cuts a reverse thread in hole until it bites and takes nut out.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom