Router reliablity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
Just reading the useful laser printer thread, and someone mentioned changing routers. As a piece of hardware, how durable/reliable/robust are they generally?

We print photographs using dye sub printers, taken on cameras tethered to laptops, networked via the router (Netgear) to other laptops, which control the printers via cable. The router's sole job, therefore, is to transfer images from laptops a, b or c to laptops d and e, via cable. The router is the one item I don't have a back up for, and I wouldn't know where to start re-networking if I had to replace one, especially at busy times. :fail

Should I worry about imminent failure, or does anyone have any constructive or reassuring thoughts or advice please?

I would venture you are much more likely to run into software/handshaking problems than hardware failure. Lots of router hardware problems can be traced to being badly sited as most rely on passive/ convection cooling. Just make sure its oriented as recommended by the manufacturer and somewhere with a reasonable supply of air. Most have a password protected facility to store their settings in a backup file on a connected computer. In the event of software corruption this backup can be downloaded to the router to set it up again--- most of this will be covered in the literature that came with the router but increasingly this sort of info is avaialable on the manufacturers website online [ they may require you to register- but you may have done that when you registered the produce for warranty purposes?

If you are transferring huge files, you need a decent bomb proof router, properly set up, not a domestic type netgear, if thats what you have. Something by cisco?

Thanks Guys, and Graeme, that's reassuring. The files are small, typically 2mb, but about 3-400 a day, so well within the router's capability I think.

One router is about 8 years old, and I set the network up by configuring the ip addresses of each laptop involved, but it's not a five minute job (well, it probably is for you IT guys!) as I can't remember how to do it, but I seem to remember there were lots of "pings" involved. My biggest fear is a router or laptop going out of commission for this reason.

Unless you have devices stored in different locations, ie London/Scotland then I cannot see what you even need a router for as you seem to have configured the IP addressing manually on each device. If this is the case then a simple 1gb switch should suffice.

Thanks, Mark, I'll look into that.

That kind of router is usually two things in one: a router (to bridge your network to the Internet) and a hub/switch (to create an Ethernet network)

The job you are describing is done by the hub. Most hubs are now switches (hubs send all data to all ports, switches send it only to the required port so are more intelligent) so let's call it a switch

Most switches are now 100/1000 Base-T autoswitching. If your machines support 1000 Base-T, aka Gigabit Ethernet, then check to see if the switch router supports it. If it doesn't, buy a Gigabit Ethernet switch and patch all your devices into it. The switch will the connect all the devices including the router

If the router is 8 years old I'd replace it. New ones have much faster WiFi, better security and will probably make your internet connection a bit snappier

You shouldn't need to set IP addresses manually - use DHCP like everyone else in the universe but give the addresses long leases or reserve them per machine so they pick up the same address each time

My experiences with domestic routers like those made by Netgear, Belkin & etc have been universally poor. I have a Cisco at home and it just works

Nick Froome

As Nick Froome said.

You are ptobably using the built-in network switch feature in the router, rather than using it as a router, if this makes sense.

Buy a Gigabit network switch - the entry level ones are very cheap - it will be fast, and very easy to replace with new if it fails.

No software configuration required for entry-level switch, just power it up and plug in the Cat-5e (or 6, or 7) cables.

Thanks Nick/Mark, appreciated.

It sounds like the switches would be plug and play, which will suit my IT (non) skills. Everything is currently cabled and not connected to the internet, so they sound perfect.

You shouldn't need to set IP addresses manually - use DHCP like everyone else in the universe but give the addresses long leases or reserve them per machine so they pick up the same address each time
Nick Froome

This is where I start scratching my head! Everything in the network is dedicated, so I don't know about long leases, but the laptops won't be going anywhere until they die. Their functions are nothing other than capturing and networking images and commanding printers. In fact, we still use Windows XP, as this appears to have a printing wizard best suited to our needs, and the additional problem with Windows 7 is that it wants to be the hub, wherever it's positioned within the network.

Reading your posts again, I think you may be confusing Router with Switch.

A Router routes data traffic between two separate networks, and the reason we all have Internet Routers at home is because the Router routes traffic between the internal network at home and the Internet.

A Network Switch simply connects all of your network equipment together and acts like a hub. It is a 'dumb' device that needs no programming (or rather only the higher-end models do).

By the sound of it the item you refer to as Router might in fact be a simple Network Switch, and as said easy and cheap to replace.

If you post a photo of it or make a note of the make and model it would be easier to advise further.

Thanks, Mark. The penny dropped after your, the other Mark's and Nick's posts.

I may actually start from scratch, due to the age of laptops etc, but we really don't need anything complex.

Last edited:
Easiest way for a small workgroup is to have a static IP for each pc, set each workstation with the same username and password. create a hosts file that lists all of the ip addresses and the corresponding host names and put that file onto each work station.

With this done, from each machine you will then be able to access the other workstations by name, so you could have similar to this.

192.168.25.100 colour
192.168.25.101 disk
192.168.25.102 storage

etc etc.

DHCP and DNS/Wins is an easier way to go but for a small workgroup I am not sure its worth the hassle.

This is pretty much what I did in the first place, Mark. I remember putting in sequential ip addresses, with each laptop having its own name. My real issues are down to memory, and how I did it in the first place!

There is nothing stopping you from starting from scratch.
1st, get the list of PC's so you know how many there are, and get a suitable name for each, keep the name to 15 or less characters.
2nd, make a chart, list each name along with a new ip range. for instance, as in my earlier post start at 192.168.25.10 and add 1 for each PC. so you end up with a list that follows this sequence. 192.168.25.10, 192.168.25.11, 192.168.25.12.
3rd, create a text file for the hosts file. open notepad then add the hosts as follows.

192.168.25.10<press TAB>hostname1
192.168.25.11<press TAB>hostname2
192.168.25.12<press TAB>hostname3

Save this file as hosts (please note there must be no extension to this, hosts.txt will not work.)

Copy this file to each pc in the following folder
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

As long as you then name each PC and apply the relevent ip address to each PC your nearly done :)

If in doubt, fell free to PM me and I will happily give you a call to talk you through it.

Last edited:
In my previous life one of my roles was IT manager of an SME - I had about 65 'puters to look after. The internal networking was taken care of with business-grade Netgear switches.

MD5, a GS105 would seem to be ideal for your needs or you could splash the cash and go for a GS108 (a whole 25 of your English pounds) which will give you a few extra ports for future expansion:

NETGEAR GS108UK 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch with Lifetime Warranty: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

They are, in my experience, utterly bulletproof. The network hub in the building had 5 of these stacked up in a locked wallbox, with no cooling, and nothing more than some 25mm thick aluminium blocks between them.

Cheers,

Gaz

Thank you very much, Guys, and Mr Mifsud, I hope you do unsocial hours? Kidding, but your offer of help is greatly appreciated!!

When I set the system up, it was a leap of faith at the time with little notice, knowing what I wanted to do, but not how to do it, so it has worked remarkably well (perfectly, tbh) considering, and is used seasonally. I have plenty of time to see how it can be improved or made more robust, but that is really down to the choice of replacement laptops, which are old also, but all they are used for, and bespoke software. The switch Gaz highlights looks perfect.

Thanks again all.

On e thing to point out is that an ordinary, unmanaged switch doesn't care about IP addresses. So you can swop them without any reconfiguration being needed

Nick Froome

It sounds like that is what I should have installed in the first place, however...I have time to play!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom