RS Turbo race!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
Right then,

Was out on the A4 when I saw some dudes terrorising the lanes in a RST, sure enough they were going whooosh Tshhh, best thing was they had their window open and I just had to do it to them ;)

coming in from the inside lane I dumped a whole load of air in their face and then again on the drivers side - The chase was on! I was on their tail they couldn't get rid of me at all! oh did I mention they had flames coming out their zorst?

next thing I know is we are at the lights and theirs some smoke coming out my brakes and their car wouldnt start! so I told them to pull over.

We pulled over and I poped my bonnet as I initially thought the smoke was out my engine bay but nope, anyway the guys were just gobbed smaked when they say the turbo and I told em it was only a 1.8L

turns out one of the guys works for fast car or fast ford or sumin we had a long chat and went our seperate ways, my brakes were sqeueeling all the way home :(

oh luckily I had my camera ;)

Attachments

• dsc01629.jpg
    dsc01629.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 195
and another...

Attachments

• dsc01632.jpg
    dsc01632.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 192
flame meh!

Attachments

• dsc01631.jpg
    dsc01631.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 192
Vin

The "Flamer " kits are just a bottle of propane and a spark plug !!

You can even fit them to a diesel quite easily :)

The craze started with extreme high power Cosworths using massive overfuelling and combustion continuing out of the exhaust like a rally car - and everyone else trying to copy the effect ! - So flamer kits were born!

They are dangerous - they serve no useful function except to impress the uninitiated :)

Mark

Only Koolvin!

I must start carrying my camera.

I have seen an E30 BMW with a custom exhaust that flamed like that, at the top of 1st gear. Don't think that had anything to make it do it, just over fuelling.

This is common on RX-7's too I believe.

If the RST was to do with Fast Ford, maybe it was modded and did this for real?

How hard was he revving when it flamed?

I have to say, although I too have preyed on RS Turbos previously, a half decent modded one would leave us both.

yep he told me he had the flame thrower kit.

I asked him if he was boooooting it he said not really, but I know I was giving my all (I think he was too)

He also told me he had 300BHP, Maybee he wasn't booting it and maybee he did have 300BHP i'll never know.... His name was 'Knuckles' and I gave him the URL of the club forum if he wanted the pics. so if you are reading it M8 tell us more about your car!!

oh he advised me to get a bailey's dump valve I said naaahhhh.

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Only Koolvin!

I have seen an E30 BMW with a custom exhaust that flamed like that, at the top of 1st gear. Don't think that had anything to make it do it, just over fuelling.

Any E30 would fuel correctly - certainly not enough to produce flames - though heavily turbo'd RX7's did do it naturally due to the ****el engine arrangement

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
I have to say, although I too have preyed on RS Turbos previously, a half decent modded one would leave us both.

My Rover has 268hp - and I wouldnt give either of your cars the satisfaction of a race - its not worth the petrol theses days :)

I usually race RS turbos, with big dump valves and drivers with baseball caps on backwards ! - These "kevins" are so sure they have the fastest cars around - the thought of them beaten by a "cloth cap brigade" grey haired old man normally is enough tp make my weekend :D

The real beauty of MB performance comes in the shape of the AMG powered cars - real performance with subtle styling.

I was telling Vin during the turbo build, that I thought AMG was purely styling prior to buying my SL - Oh how I was wrong, and remember - I'm no ones fool when it comes to cars, I considered my knowledge to be quite comprehensive

The average man in the street wont even know that an AMG car is something special - it will just be "a nice Merc that happens to have nice bumpers on it" :)

Mark

As I mentioned to Koolvin, I had a go with a Serria Cosworth on the way to the pod...... I eventualy started to pull on him once I hit the speed limiter.............

Originally posted by Rascel
nice kill Kool my mosselman bro!!

are flame kits legal in UK?

Hi Ian my Twin Turbo friend from USA :p

legal? LOL no m8 nuffin like that is legal!!

Used to have a chevy day van 6.9 V8 with holley carbs and the whole works, it 'flamed' at 2nd gear change...;)

how about this chevy V16 ;)

u need to change your name now! :p

I had an BMW (E30) M3, which used to flame if you accelerated very hard - I spoke to BMW about this, and after a while they told me that what was (correctly) happening was that fuel was dumped onto the valves to cool them, this evaporated (no oxygen to ignite it there), and when it hit the air as it left the exhaust it ignited

Made sense to me at the time, and there were very few (no) boards like this to ask other owners !

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom