RS4 to C63 - First Thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pie

Hi guys,
Made the jump from 4 rings to 3 pointed star 12 days ago.

I did a little write up over on RS246.com about my first impressions which I'll just copy and paste to save me regurgitating:

So took the Merc for a proper run from Aberdeen to Edinburgh and back again on Saturday and thought I‘d share my thoughts and opinions – for information and reference only!

Two very different cars so it’s kinda difficult to compare given the age of the RS4.

Transmission
I’ve been very sceptical of automatics from the outset, I’ve always preferred having my left foot and left hand doing something and not letting the car decide which gear I should be in and when.
By the time I made my way through Edinburgh (visiting sister) and then onwards to Ikea, I was converted – probably more out of convenience.
Given a choice I would still pick manual if there was an option.

Technology
The amount of tech and driver aids in the Mercedes is unreal, a lot of it is centred around driver safety and assistance but non of it is particularly intrusive in any way.
The B7 comes nowhere near but don’t forget it’s also 7-8 years older, perhaps a fairer like for like comparison when it comes to tech would be the B8?
Tech doesn’t really excite me that much as to be a deal breaker with a car but certainly a nice to have when it’s available!
The Mercedes Comand system is far superior to the old RNS-E as I have full control of my iPod but again, not a fair comparison as I’m sure whatever is fitted to the B8 is comparable.

Exclusivity
There’s always an argument about the rarity of the RS badge which a few years ago would be true. Audi however seem to now be churning out an RS badged everything nowadays – RS3, RS4, RS5, RS6 and RS7. The RS1 can’t be far away?

I guess given competition from BMW’s M division and Mercedes AMG; Audi have to move with them so as to not lose any customers.
On the way there and back I spotted 4 B7’s and 2 B8’s. I also spotted about 4 C63’s (although none of these were the Edition 507).
Didn’t even bother counting the number of M3’s…..

I also parked up at the furthest end of the car park when we are at Ikea.
As we were running late the entire day, we decided to have lunch first before shopping and ended up sitting at one of those raised tables overlooking the carpark.

Mrs Pie pointed out a number of people returning to their cars and taking a keen interest in the AMG; taking photos with their phones.
Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. The RS certainly didn’t attract this type of attention.

Drive
In the dry, you can really push the Mercedes and it’ll stick to the tarmac. Slightest hint of moisture and you do have to be a bit wary about what the ar5e end is up to.

The quattro however just fills you with confidence all the time, regardless of road conditions but I guess this is to be expected when going from 4x4 to RWD.
Ride is a little firmer than the RS but this could well be because it’s a brand new car.

The amount of torque is breathtaking; on the way back to Aberdeen I spotted a Shell station somewhere between Perth and Dundee on the motorway. I easily had enough fuel to get me to the BP at Dundee but all I had in my mind was the chance for a static start and getting up to speed v quickly on a motorway so I ducked in here to fill up.

I set her to manual when we left and sat stationary at the exit, gap appeared so I hit the loud pedal…. Acceleration is phenomenal. Speedo swept clockwise effortlessly and rapidly!

Power delivery is relentless all the way up to the redline and same again when you change gear.

The RS I found was fairly smooth to begin with then became a monster at higher revs but the Mercedes is a monster all the time.

The exhaust note is something else.
All you have to do is go onto YouTube and do a search for C63 AMG Exhaust and you’re inundated with videos with view counts hitting 5 and 6 figures – and this is from a standard exhaust!

Downshifting in manual mode is also a lot of fun.
You get a nice throttle blip (and if recently driven hard) this is followed with some nice cracks and pops out the exhaust.

Visually the AMG seats don’t come anywhere near the RS buckets with the sticky out ‘ears’ and the two apertures for a racing harness, surprisingly they are just as effective at holding you in snuggly.
I do miss the visual impact of the RS buckets when viewing from outside though.

Fuel
The RS is without doubt far more palatable when it comes to consumption and thats saying something!
Saturday morning whilst still in Aberdeen (with less than 100 miles on the clock) she was averaging 11mpg since leaving the factory.
On the motorway she was averaging 21.5mpg.
My morning commute to work – approx. 7 miles I’m doing 18mpg.

Overall
The RS (to me) was getting a little, dare I say, bland. Maybe it was more to do with 4 years ownership?
I’m currently probably going through the same emotions with the Merc as I did with the RS when I got her back in 2010 (Write up here My PistonHeads : Show Car - PistonHeads)

I’m certainly not regretting my decision to move but I will miss the camaraderie that comes with RS4, wee flash and wave as another fellow owner passes by; don’t seem to get that with the C63.

Some photos of the new toy!

(Posting links as
doesn't seem to work on this board?)

13359733045_81e93b4569_c.jpg

13360237894_37699e73ac_c.jpg

13360461614_6b88d73444_c.jpg

13360188973_cf845dcbf5_c.jpg

13360289474_9d651ddcf3_c.jpg

13359783423_a242a84438_c.jpg

13127794884_7ef1a7a760_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great looking car mate. It's the first silver saloon 507 that I've seen. Congrats on the new purchase :thumb:

What an awesome looking car........I'd love to own a new one!

Nice car, congrats!

I have a question though. Are these vents in the bonnet a real thing or are they cosmetic? What is their purpose (heat mgmt?) and how do they disperse the water?

Thanks. Beautiful photography too.

13359733045_81e93b4569_c.jpg

Hey Alx

The bonnet is the same one that's fitted to the Black series.
I'm assuming they're there to allow heat to escape - as well as add a bit of aggressive styling and distinguish the car as the 507.

There's some plate work underneath them both which directs water ingress towards the front of car.
I'll get some photos later!

Good choice of colour love those wheels :thumb:

Nice review Pie.

I've gone the other way, I wanted to go for a B7 RS4 to scratch that itch, but the crazy deal on a new E63 AMG last summer swayed me to that this time around. (£77K 557bhp fire breathing super-estate for the same lease price as an A4 3.0 diesel - err no brainer!)

Coming from a tuned 335i, I wanted to get back to a proper non-turbo motor, so a good used B7 RS4 was the logical step (I'd wanted one since 2009, but never quite managed it), but the E63 deal was too good to miss (despite having the twin turbo 5.5 V8 rather than your superior, in my opinion, 6.3 V8)

I miss the manual box, my left leg still twitches when braking into corners "dreaming" of a clutch to press! Any my left hand finds itself floating around the centre console with nothing to do!

I'm still planning to go for a mint low miler B7 late next year though when the E63 goes back, prices are verging on steady for good ones too.

Funny how two thirds of B7s on PH are in Scotland!

Last edited:
Welcome and lovely shiny new car by the way :thumb:

wow really nice!

Nice write up, do you have a link to your thread on the RS246.com site? always interesting to read opinions from the other side :)

Interesting perspective.

I declined the new RS4 (after 5 Audis of various A4/S4/RS4 breeds) and bought my C63 a year or so ago for a host of reasons. (Cars: We All Fall in Love With Our Models: AUDI RS4 AVANT )

After getting over the fun of 6.3 litres of V8, I was driven to distraction by the nannying technology for a while. Having turned most of it off, I have gradually got used to it telling me off all the time and warning me I am about to crash into every piece of road furniture I pass. (Cars: We All Fall in Love With Our Models: C63 AMG PPP: First Year Report )

I respect the car, but I can't say I love it. DISTRONIC + (Why the capitals Mercedes?) has turned out to be good on motorways and it is a hoot to just floor it now and again and watch the world disappear in the rear view mirror. I agree that a manual would be fun, right up to the point the clutch exploded.

There's no comparable car I yearn for, but an M3 Touring would be a welcome option, or maybe this new Porsche thing might tempt me to the dread world of the Sports Utility Venereal-Disease?

I enjoyed the comments on the other forum.
Valid arguments for and against. Only one I totally disagree with is one RS4 owner insisting the RS4 sounds better! :dk:
This made me laugh! :D
thats because merc owners are about 3000 year old and cant see you flash
:D

Welcome Pie!

I'd seen you about recently in your RS4, good to see you've moved over to the dark side like I did. ;)

I would agree with you on your points on the RS4 and think the C63 is a different animal. :thumb:

I'll look out for you and make sure I nod and wave when passing.

It's about time we got a north Scotland AMG meet organised.

Cheers

Al

Only one I totally disagree with is one RS4 owner insisting the RS4 sounds better! :dk:
This made me laugh! :D

:D

Dare I say it, I think he might be right, a little bit anyway, (duck) due in part to the manual RS shift, and the rather fluffy AMG sound/woofle.

Nothing spoils the impression an engine note gives more than a head-nodding slurry auto gearshift, AMGs sound great until they change gear IMO, then they all to often sound like any old generic yank tank.

Whereas a hard edged V8 RS4 punctuated by sharp, fast, manual shifts is a whole different ball game, IMO.

Sorry :(

The two exhaust notes are totally different tones to one another - even if both are coming from a V8.

I upgraded to a Non-resonated, non-valved Milltek on the RS4 just to free up the engines breathing.
The RS' note is a much lower frequency burble than the more raspy (and louder) AMG.

If looking at Bass - Mid - Treble on an Amp / EQ

The RS is more boomy and sits between Bass and Mid; the AMG sits around Mid with a more 'barky' tone.

But in saying that, you do need to bin the OEM Audi exhaust in order to get that sort of noise!

In C, S and S+, upshifts are pretty dull in the AMG but seems to be a different beast when in Manual.

If I had to sum it up: On the final 1 mile approach to work in the mornings I flip over to Manual just so I can publically herald my arrival in the carpark with the downshift blips followed by pops and crackles! (Yes, I know I need to grow up)

In the RS I only had user induced blips pre-downshift and very little in the way of backfires and pops.

I had a RS4 - C63 is the best sounding car when comparing standard exhausts imo, which is much to your point above - in fact on rs246 about 3 years ago I wrote up that I did the AMG experience whilst I had my RS4 and one of my comments back then was the noise of the AMG mercs sounding much better. I had a standard RS4 but had pulled the vacuum hoses so the valves were always open so it sounded better - RS4 isnt far from the C63 in terms of sound but at least the RS4 sounded better than the M3 for sound.

I also use Manual if I want to be more noisy but mostly this is so i can hold a gear longer when driving through town but don't agree that Sport + is dull - it produces much better downshift blips compared to manual (at least on my car) and it definitely barks out loud when it changes up at 7.25k rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom