rubbing sound at 20 mph C200K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zenman63

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2016 L450 Range Rover 4.4 AB, 2015 GTs 2017 Range rover evoque
Just picked up a nice clean C200k coupe MY05

What sounds like a wheel bearing noise, rubbing spinning, only at 20 23 mph then goes, just had the hubs off, bearings look fine, I changed one side and cleaned and re greased with a new seal the other, look fine, no marks anyway.

Sat in the back and the wife drove and the noise is front I think, cannot make it do any noise on bends or braking.
Rotors are warn, good lip on them but new pads, don't think it's that? but will fit new rotors anyway.

Now thinking prop bearing?
Hope it's not the Auto box!

Full history and 90K

Does it do it in neutral when coasting? If yes could be a snapped handbrake cable retaining clip, the cable drops and rubs on the prop, also check tyres, are they cheap direction tyres? Are they out of shape with higher parts of tread compared too others? All can cause bearing type noises.

I an going to try that in the morning, I will let you know

Had pretty much the same noise on my car, after eliminating the diff' I suspected the bearings, but also OK, turned out to be duff tyres (Michelin part-worns from previous owner). Replaced with a couple of inexpensive (£75 each) tyres and all is silent as it should be !!

Interesting stuff but I think this is more than that, there is a lot of noise at low speed, a spinning grating rubbing sound you can feel through the wheel, goes over 20mph.

Just been out with the wife driving, noise is there all the time even in neutral, braking makes no change, corners no change.
got in the back head on the floor, axle sounds fine.
Noise is in the middle of the car, sounds to me like prop shaft centre bearing.

Put the steering on full lock and run your hand over the tread (edges) if they are flush that's fine if you find the tread going up and down it will be tyres, it's always low speed and you can drive past it.

On my C class it was the brake cables rubbing on the propshaft as described above. Replaced the broken clips an all was well. You need to remove the shields to see it.

Thanks for the help.
Going to Dave Mac's in the morning, Prop shaft guru and only down the road.
Looking on the epc and there is a UJ in there also, theres a creak noise just before you come to rest, like a rusty bolt sound, could well be that UJ

Well covers off and prop looks fine, nothing looks bad and almost no movement.

Going to change the bearing anyway, but think this could be in the box final drive.

There are 3 Toyo Proxes and one odd conti sport on the front, not good I know and will put another Toyo on the front, could it be that simple?

Did you check it like I said? Yes can be that simple, had it on lots of customers cars.

I have looked at the treads and there flat, but I don't know how long it;s been on there.
The more job's on it I do the better the drive but you still here the noise, got the prop bearing going in the week end.
What is evident it the steering wheel does not central out of corners, you have to pull it back, it got a new track control arm on the O/S.
I will fit a new N/S before I find someone to reset the geometry as it must be about to go if one has been done.

New rotors fitted, just the same but the creaking has gone, there was some runout on the N/S.
ABS sensor fault now instead! I did slip with the calliper and must have damaged the wire.

Tyres done no change.
Prop bearing sound.

We just had the rear wheels of the ground and in drive at 20mph and No noise, Had a look at the front bearings adjustment and all good, we now have ABS light on!

I sill say its coming from the front N/S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom