Rubbish 124 quality!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ted

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RC300h F-Sport, Yamaha XVS 1100, Toyota C-HR GR sport
My MOT is up at the end of November, so I thought I'd get th car in early.
To my disappointment the car failed. Two of the amber bulbs had started to show white.
How DARE Mercedes make a car where the bulbs fail after only fifteen years.
I spent £740 of my hard earned childrens inheritance to purchase what I thought was a quality car, - what will happen next? A sidelight bulb blow?
Fortunately the nice man replaced the shoddily made bulbs, and only charged me £47 for both the MOT and bulb replacement - it is a good job there were NO advisories.
This means that I will now be forced to spend the next 13 months wondering what the next major catastrophe will be.
I hope this gives a salutary lesson that the W124 is not all it is cracked up to be. It is fortunate that I am so attached to it.
PS, a couple of post MOT piccies to warn any potential purchasers that spending a fortune does NOT NECESSARILY buy a quality car.

mot1.jpg

mot2.jpg

mot3.jpg

mot4.jpg

Last edited:
Dreadful - chop it in on scrappage !

Someone has stuck some crome arches to it. Let me know who did it and we can send the boys round :)

Was it those pesky MOT testers?

Bin them yellow indicators and get some silvery ones.

I know exactly how you feel.

Just like last year, my 190E 2.6 required a number plate bulb to go through it's MOT this week.

Older Mercs are terrible for these recurring faults.

Gotta join in on this! My 190D, EX TAXI, (white is the new :cool:) 172k miles (yeah right) all 300 quid of it (ebay to boot, bought with no MoT) needed a new steering arm and a wiper blade!! Some magical spanner work at 124 Works helped:thumb:

You just cannot trust Mercedes anymore to make a lasting car:dk:
Huge bills always abound with older Mercedes. Stay away from them:wallbash: and let me buy them:D

Oh, such was the joy of passing the MoT, that the heater matrix became all emotional and tearfull (in the pax footwell) stone me another fiver for RADWELD, all tears dried up now.

13 months now worries:bannana:

Drat. Think I did not buy Ted's car when it was for sale as it had no centre armrest in the front. Double drat.

Last edited:
Complaints Department.

Here, go get stuck in Ted. ;)

Daimler Chrysler UK Retail Ltd
(01908) 335500
St. Georges Ho, Caldecott Lake Dv
Caldecotte, Milton Keynes
MK7 8JT

How DARE Mercedes make a car where the bulbs fail after only fifteen years.

It could be worse than that. Have you checked with the previous owner(s). The bulbs may have been replaced previously.

That makes it even more unacceptable.

LOL... Good thing I wasn't eating, as my laptop would have been coated in food.

Heaven forbid that the tyres might ever need replacing...

Ian.

Tut tut what is the world coming to.
You ought to take this up with the previous owner as my 1995 124 estate has now covered 215k miles and has gone straight through all 12 MOTs since new without a single comment or advisory - and the indicator bulbs are both the originals.
If the previous owner stuck those hideous chrome arches on then he ought to be sectioned so I would get your claim in for the bulbs fast.

Thanks for the heads up, Ted.

I'll be selling mine pronto. Disgusted that there was no product recall on this.

Maybe this should be made a 'sticky' to warn potential buyers.

Thanks for the heads up, Ted.

I'll be selling mine pronto. Disgusted that there was no product recall on this.

Maybe this should be made a 'sticky' to warn potential buyers.

Ted, I feel partly to blame here, as I remember you buying this car at a time that the same thing had just happened to me with my E280T. I thought mine was an isolated case, so didn't give the heads up, but it seems this is the tip of the iceberg. I laid awake last night, cursing the previous owner, as I realise now this was his undisclosed reason for selling.

I expect the value of these cars to plummet, but before you all start trying to bail out, don't panic if you own 'Heritage' 124. The build quality of these is uncompromised, and I now expect the value and asking price of these cars to soar!;)

I spent £740 of my hard earned childrens inheritance

What?:ban:

That is just shameful! Spending money thats rightfully not yours to spend.

I hope you live long enough to see the suffering you will cause them.

The evils in this world just keep on getting worse.:doh:

Just like to say thank you for all of the supporting posts.
What is particularly galling is that had this been a BMW, the problem would not have happened as I understand their indicators never illuminate.
Still, a gentle drive, and feeling superior to 90% of other road users has now taken the sting out of things, and I am starting to love the car again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom