RUF porsches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a view here - as it was my CRX ;) - the event was 10 Of The Best 3 held @ Elvington airfied near york

Yes the RUF missed a gear - unfortunately the other time I beat it was not recorded - and it also beat EVERY RS500 cossie there and loads of other exotic machinery :bannana: This was all on a brand new engine that had just 500 miles on it when I started the competion - those runs were @ 317hp - the car now has 383hp

Remember when you look at book figures - you are quoting PERFECT figures from manufacturers. This event was a real, one day, one off, shoot out of the fastest cars in the country - and these 2 werent even in my class! Track temps exceeded 30 degrees and cars were blowing up left right and centre - the RUF was not one of them ;)

The CRX won the FWD shootout, and lost the 2WD shootout to an 800hp Supra - but ran an all time best of 12.70@111 - not exactly earth shattering - but bloody quick for an <1800cc road legal car on 195 tyres!
It also beat the black GT2, and a couple of skylines - so the performance was hardly a one off freak of a RUF blowing up - on a colder day there is at least 3/4 tenths to be gained due to the denser air charge and more aggresive advance from the ECU
Its since run 12.82@116 at Santa Pod with the extra power - but traction is becoming much more of an issue. This means the terminal speeds are increasing but the extra power is costing me traction - time for in gear boost control methinks!

Anyone can buy a fast car - but as mine proved recently at bruntingthorpe - a decent well built "buget" car can destroy much more exotic machinery

The new CRX racecar is under construction (well almost finished) - all road legal and just needing the new engine to be transplanted from the black car for me to be low 12's - high 11's - so bring on the Nitrous'd CLK500 - the shopping trolley is waiting :D

Mark

Mark,

As an ex nutter 4 cylinder turbo racer, I have much respect and admiration for your fantastic car. Didn't mean to take anything away from you, was just interested to know what happened to the RUF as something wasn't right in the video.

I realise how fast it is to get an FWD street car to go faster than a 13 due to traction issues! Drove quite a few like that that just cannot get traction!

scotth_uk said:
Mark,

Didn't mean to take anything away from you, was just interested to know what happened to the RUF as something wasn't right in the video.

Hi Scott

I didnt take it as such, sorry if it came over that way - I think I was getting a little defensive of my "toy" :D

It so easy to read a webpage and decide that all that counts are the numbers on the site - and all cars are capable of that performance on any day in any conditions :eek:

Yes a lot of 911's could possibly do 12's given the right conditions - mine ran 12.70 in adverse conditions, it has beaten countless 911's and a 550 over a measured 1/4, which on paper would be winners, just not on the day - which was the point I was trying to make :)

At the end of the day it was just a head to head race - and he lost :D

Mark

With those numbers I guess the CRX is seriously modified then - I used to put the Nitro kit onto my MGF VVC however its onto its 3rd engine, 2nd clutch & 2nd gearbox now due to a combination of drive stress, detonation problems, associated cracked pistons, etc. K-Series engines are unreliable enough without Nitrous.... :(

At about 62HP/Ltr I'm sure the 500 would take quite a bit of Nitro perhaps up to 150-200lb/ft totalling 560 or so though would never take the risk with the rest of the components...

Out of interest what have you done with the CRX to obtain those figures?

RichieRuss2000 said:
With those numbers I guess the CRX is seriously modified then - I used to put the Nitro kit onto my MGF VVC however its onto its 3rd engine, 2nd clutch & 2nd gearbox now due to a combination of drive stress, detonation problems, associated cracked pistons, etc. K-Series engines are unreliable enough without Nitrous.... :(

Out of interest what have you done with the CRX to obtain those figures?

Pop over to www.Rovertech.net for interesting discussions on the K series :)

As for the CRX - its a simple cut and paste :D

1795cc's of Hondas finest B18C4 Vtec engine ;)
All forged B18C4 shortblock with CP pistons, Eagle rods, ARP studset, and all new ACL bearings. B16A2 head with higher lift cams.

It was last dyno'd at 317hp with 7psi of boost - it now runs 12psi boost and will be in the region of 350+hp
12.70@111
0-60 in 5.1 seconds

It develops more torque by 3000rpm than a standard Vtec CRX produces at maximum :)

strip1.jpg

Spec is as follows

1990 CRX SiR - Japanese import, steel roof with ABS
Aircon removed for turbo installation
R*S*R suspension dropped 70mm from Std ? too low !
Poly front bushes
Solid engine mounts
Hayward and Scott 3" handmade stainless steel exhaust system and frontpipe
BK187 Alloys 195/50/15 Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres
Boot mounted battery
Home developed turbo conversion
HKS Turbo Manifold
turbo spacer plate (manifold flange)
Custom built water cooled own spec "large" turbo with T35 trim & 3" exit
HKS super sequential dump valve
550cc R/C injectors controlled by full S200 Hondata engine management
Custom forge intercooler
J&R air filter
Custom silicon hoses from SFS
10mm Silicon leads
Denso Irridium plugs
NOS system with a 20hp shot to give cooling for top speed runs - controlled by ECU :)
Fully rebuilt Gearbox with steel caged bearings & LSD
DC sports shortshift
Exedy organic race clutch
Front strut brace

282mm Rover 623/ZS front brake conversion
260mm Rover ZS rear brake conversion

Momo Gearknob
Momo Steering wheel
Mk1 Apexi AVCR boost controller with boost gauge
Air charge temp gauge

A lot of this will be stripped out in the next few weeks as the engine/turbo/exhaust are all about to be fitted to my new Mugen kitted roll caged HKS turbo import :D

mugen1.jpg

Cheers

Mark

Amazing... thanks for the tip on the K-Series. The NOS/Minimax that used to be on my MGF came from www.noswizard.com... Your engine would love some of that stuff...;)

I have a Wizards of NOS spare kit ;) - but would love a progressive controller as all i do with it at the moment is use it for top end only.

If I had the time/equipment to properly set up a progressive controller I could shave a few 1/0ths off my times

Mark

You probably already know that with the progressive you can boost up to 75Lb/ft on a std 1.8 never mind yours with forged pistons, etc which makes a significant difference to the 1/4 mile, though I guess you would have even more traction problems...;) Though expensive that Quaife LSD on the Focus RS grips very well...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom