Ruler calibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 Proper gearbox
If you think your watch is wrong you could check it at Greenwich right? But what if you think your tape measure or rulers out, where would you take it?

the ISO - in france.. paris i believe. They have a meter rod of (?steel?) encased in a vacuum jar, in a humidiy controlled room, at a set controlled temperature.

or if you want to be really accurate - 1,650,763.73 wavelengths of the orange-red emission line in the spectrum of the krypton-86 atom in a vacuum, the 'old 'innacurate' way or the new 'accurate way' is defined as the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299 792 458 of a second.

assuming light travels at 299,792,458 metres per second...

do i get some sort of geek award :cool: ?

guydewdney said:
do i get some sort of geek award ?

prob not - but we can call you a "sad b*st*rd" if you like :D

I don't know what I worry about more. Simon's question or Guy's ability to give a sensible answer!

engineering degree.... doh'

did you know that a link is a formal measurement? (about 8" iirc) ditto a nail (2 1/4") etc etc...

edit 7.92 inches = 1 link (li)
100 links = 1 chain (ch) = 4 rods = 66 ft.
80 chains = 1 statute mile = 320 rods = 5,280 ft.

nail
an old English unit of length equal to 1/20 ell. Like the ell, the nail was used for measuring cloth; traditionally, it represented the length of the last two joints (including the fingernail) of the middle finger. The nail is equivalent to 1/16 yard, 1/4 span, 2.25 inches, or exactly 5.715 centimeters

nooooooooooo - pleeze stop :D :D

Blame Simon, he started it. :D :D

If the original question is a serious one, and from some of the replys, I'm not sure :D , for engineering measuring instruments, you can take them to a calibration company, who inturn take their measuring devices to another calibration company and so on, to maintain calibration. :confused:

Geoff2 said:
If the original question is a serious one, and from some of the replys, I'm not sure :D , for engineering measuring instruments, you can take them to a calibration company, who inturn take their measuring devices to another calibration company and so on, to maintain calibration. :confused:
So you should just be able to measure one ruler against another then, or even against a different section of the same ruler ?

How do you adjust the gain and zero of a ruler?!?

Heat it up and stretch?

Tippex out the old scale and start again!!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom