Rumble noise when accelerating coming from rear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XJguy

Car
1994 E320 Coupe
I need help figuring out this new noise. Upon acceleration, hard to moderate, I have a rumble coming from the rear. The sensation is similar as you would feel if you were to drive over rumble strips on the road....in fact thats what I initially thought it was. My car is 94 W124 E320 coupe with 101k miles, no traction control. I don't hear or feel this noise when on the highway or at higher speeds or when driving regularly. Thank you.

I would guess at either a wheel or differential bearing, or possibly a suspension bush being worn out.

Worth checking the prop-shaft intermediate bearing and doughnuts as well.

Oh, and it does not occur when in reverse and only occurs forward from a dead stop or if I accelerate from near stop.

Update:

Took a look under the car. Everything looks decent, that is the CV boots are intact, there was no play in the shafts, the flex couplings look like new. But my differential bushings are shot, as are I suspect all the rear bushing. I knew this and actually have over $1000 in new OEM parts to rebuild the whole rear just have not done it because the car is my daily driver and my other two toys are not on the road. But what I did discover is that the center carrier bearing/bushing is shot. The whole thing flops around...hard to see it since its buried up above the exhaust and shield but I can flop the drive shaft up and down with ease....I suspect its not supposed to be this way?

what I did discover is that the center carrier bearing/bushing is shot. The whole thing flops around...hard to see it since its buried up above the exhaust and shield but I can flop the drive shaft up and down with ease....I suspect its not supposed to be this way?

Umm, no it's not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom