Rumbles but no grumbles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Headhurts

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes GLC
I have a 2016 E350 S212 which has recently started making a rumbling sound from what sounds like the rear near side suspension.

The car was recently booked in for service and MOT along with diagnostics for this problem, the service reception helpfully suggested that I don’t ask for the diagnostics as there is a charge of around £130 for this as he said anything obvious could be picked up when the technician does the MOT test.

The car passed the MOT and the subsequent video sent to me shows him pointing out no leaks or faults with the rear shock absorbers and suspension.

I had the car booked in to the main dealership in Norwich yesterday and waited whilst the car was checked over for this fault.

Around an hour later the service receptionist advised me that they have checked the car and although the rumble can be heard whilst driving when up on the ramps for investigation they cannot find any play leaks or loss of performance with the rear shock absorbers or suspension, the technician is apparently 90% sure the fault is with the shock absorber and is an internal issue.

I had a chat with the service receptionist who said they would not be charging for the job and that he would ask Mercedes for a good will gesture as the car has only covered 32500 miles and has been garaged from new, he also said that they normally advised replacing shock absorber in pairs but due to the relatively low mileage changing one only could be an option but it’s my decision.

so the rumbling is much worse when driven following the car having been stationary for a while and eases but does not completely go following being driven.

I thought this excellent customer service from the dealership so no grumbles from me on that front.

I wonder if any of the forum members have thoughts on this and if anyone has come across this type of issue before?

Robin

An update to this post, Mercedes Norwich managed to get a goodwill offer of 36% towards a new shock absorber and the advice from Mercedes is that changing one is fine due to the low mileage of the car.

To be honest I expected nothing and the initial request to Mercedes was turned down.

I know a few of you do not like main dealerships but they have come through for me, quite good service all in all.

Robin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom