Rumbling from brakes under heavy breaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercedesstar

Car
S320Cdi
Hi all
My E320CDI has developed what I can only describe as a type of rumbling noise under heavy breaking. They are fine under normal or light breaking. Discs are fine, pads have got plenty of meat on them, the car has got full MB service historie and had a big service in July last year. I know rear brakes wear less than the fronts, but the rear pads don`t seem to have worn much at all since I changed front pads a year ago. I do 1000 miles a month and would expect some wear. I have had the car for 2 years in May, and I would estimate theres still half left on the pads on the rear. Any suggestions, please?

Cheapo tyres? Poorly adjusted wheel bearings?

How do you know the discs are ok?

Sorry what I meant with discs was that they are not excessively worn.
Tyres were bad, have just fitted different wheels and new tyres here tonight. Not been out in the car yet though, so dont know if it has made a difference.
I was not aware that the bearings can be adjusted? Does that mean they could need adjusting from time to time?

Just fitted refurbed 17inch Sador wheels with 235 Bridgestones on, which has helped but not got rid af the `rumbling ` during breaking.

As BlackC55, to adjust wheel bearing,remove wheel knock center cap off,you will see a nut
that is locked by an alen key slacken this and rotate nut until play has gone,check for free rotation of hub and tighten, if too tight the reverse procedure.if still apparent new bearing.

Rumbling under heavy breaking, I would be looking at possibly warped discs

Thank you guys. will get it checked

Soz, it has been a while coming back on this. I changed discs and pads, but there is play in the bearings. I would have changed discs anyway, and at £31 pr disc from carpartsforless it wasn`t bad. Is it, considering the car has done 128000 miles, better to fit new bearings, or is it, even with this mileage, ok to repack and tighten? I tried to get the cap off when I changed discs and pads, but found it to be impossible to do. I know you said, Martyz, just to knock it off, but I tried all sorts to no avail. Maybe I didn`t try hard enough?

In my experience 140,000 miles is about the limit for W210 front bearings and they fail suddenly.

Soz, I tried to get the cap off when I changed discs and pads, but found it to be impossible to do. I know you said, Martyz, just to knock it off, but I tried all sorts to no avail. Maybe I didn`t try hard enough?

MB have a tool, I used the back of a claw hammer (gentle levering) and it popped straight off.

Bearings sorted, car a lot better, however shakes under braking from 60mph upwards. Would it be lower suspension arm?

Mercedesstar said:
Bearings sorted, car a lot better, however shakes under braking from 60mph upwards. Would it be lower suspension arm?

Or warped discs.

The discs still maybe warped.

It has been deter mined that it is the bushes on the lower arms that are at fault. Have been quoted 2 1/2 to 3 hours pr side to change the front and rear bushes,2 small at the back and 1 big at the front. Thats front and rear bushes on the lower arms both sides, so all in all approx 6 hours. Does this seem ok?

Took car in to have it checked and was told it is the bushes on the lower arms. There`s 3 bushes each side, one big at the front of the arm, and 2 smaller bushes at the back of the arm. I was quoted 2 1/2 to 3 hours for each side, so approx six hours in total for the job. Does this seem reasonable? Bushes are only £20 for each side.

6 hours is a bit strong. Are you sure it's the cause?

Just had a vehicle check done at Mercedes in Peterborough today. Both front wishbone bushes worn, both front and rear subframe bushes worn. On top of that front offside spring broken, so both front springs will need replacing. How long would you quote for the job? I understand the springs will be coming off anyway when taking the lower arms off at the front and therefore takes extra time? In my case the springs will need to come anyway.

I know it`s a while ago this, but tell you what , BlackC55..................... The discs were warped :eek:). Thank you all for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom