Rumour of a diesel scrapage scheme.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
True.

I apologise and will now self-flagellate...

Take it easy on yourself, the thread headline started it and it's a relatively new word anyway.

A cat-o-six tails should be enough, nine would be a step too far.

Lets start having Electric HGV's, Ships and coaches then makes loads of sense :/

As a cyclist and motorbike rider I hate diesels the air quality they leave in their wake is terrible, and from motorbike point of view traces of diesel on the road is not a pleasant experience!

As a motorcyclist that has been thrown down the road on a diesel spill I couldn't agree more. Car drivers can't see it so they have no idea how much diesel is visible on a wet road surface. You would think that diesel vehicles would have become less incontinent over the years but I've been riding motorcycles for over 40 years and still see a multitude of diesels spills on every wet ride. No idea which vehicles are responsible for the spills, seems unlikely to be modern cars I suppose. So until they can keep it in the tanks diesel vehicles that leak are the work of Satan.

How much pollution do the aircraft buzzing around the skies emit, I suspect they consume far more fuel than the average motorist.

How much pollution do the aircraft buzzing around the skies emit, I suspect they consume far more fuel than the average motorist.

That is not a very useful analogy. if you look at modern, wide bodied aircraft they can carry from 300 to well over 500 passengers so the fuel burn and, therefore pollution figures per passenger mile, can be relatively low.

That is not a very useful analogy. if you look at modern, wide bodied aircraft they can carry from 300 to well over 500 passengers so the fuel burn and, therefore pollution figures per passenger mile, can be relatively low.

They can be low but it would be interesting to know if they were.

A little while ago there was a white paper study of emission equivalent study of train vs car passengers from London to Birmingham. I don't remember the total outcome but depending or circumstances it became far more energy/emission and cost efficient for people to drive than to take the train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People keep going on about diesel, and cars, but the biggest consumers of diesel are commercial vehicles. When was the last time you saw a tractor unit or bus running on anything other than diesel?

Also, how many modern buses do you see on the road. The bus companies are keeping their ageing fleet going because those old buses don't have to conform with modern legislation.

As for diesel spills, practically all of these are from tractor units, especially when the driver has forgotten to replace the filler cap. It is extremely rare to see a diesel spill from a car.

It's really complicated because the short term effects are far worse (like 50x per passenger mile) than cars. Ships are pretty bad too, and even trains aren't very good. But long term there are other effects which are arguabaly positive.

Diesel is the diarrhoea of fuels. Though it is useful because it enables us to drive vast distances for much less £££ than equivalent petrol and it continues to embarrass hybrids for economy.

So we do owe it a lot too.

Diesel is the diarrhoea of fuels. Though it is useful because it enables us to drive vast distances for much less £££ than equivalent petrol and it continues to embarrass hybrids for economy.

So we do owe it a lot too.

Hmmm... I don't see how that is anything like having the runs lol.

I can't imagine not having a deisel in my transit van. However I'd give Stu's V8 a go if it'd fit.

Imagine C63 powered transit??? :bannana:

Yikes! :eek:

People keep going on about diesel, and cars, but the biggest consumers of diesel are commercial vehicles. When was the last time you saw a tractor unit or bus running on anything other than diesel?

Also, how many modern buses do you see on the road. The bus companies are keeping their ageing fleet going because those old buses don't have to conform with modern legislation.

As for diesel spills, practically all of these are from tractor units, especially when the driver has forgotten to replace the filler cap. It is extremely rare to see a diesel spill from a car.

I have to admit, I read that earlier commend and I have only ever seen diesel spills from vehicles in accidents. However, I can see that diesel spills, much like oil, are far more hazardous than petrol as the petrol would just evaporate relatively quickly. They said, wtf does that relate to other than careless drivers or vehicles not properly maintained?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom