Run Flat fronts and Normal Rears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danny632

Car
C220
Hi guys

I've been looking for a couple of new rears over the last few weeks due to low tread, and through enquiries I learnt that I should not mix normal and run flat tyres

I drive a 64 plate C220 AMG and the previous tyres were Conti Sport Contact 5 SSR.

There is an independent Mercedes garage down my road which did a good service so I managed to get them to fit me in yesterday morning, when I made the appointment I gave them tyre size, stated I preferred Continental and made sure that the ones they had in stock were Run flat. I wasn't fussed about whether they were Sport Contact 3 or 5 etc

So yesterday when I pick the car up I check the receipt and they have fitted Sport Contact 3 MO. At this stage I didn't think anything was amiss at all. It didn't stipulate the size of the tyre so I wouldn't have expected it to stipulate run flat.

They mentioned that my alloys had some wear and tear, so later on at home I go out to check, and it is at this point I notice that nowhere on either tyre does it mention SSR like the front and previous tyres did - so I am certain these aren't run flats

Is this a massive issue? If so, is this a significant case of negligence on behalf of the dealer if they know they shouldnt mix and match, especially not without my approval and especially because I specifically requested run flat.

I've also read somewhere that some cars are designed for run flat tyres - would the new shape C220 be one does anybody know?

Thanks in advance :)

I don't think it would be correct to say any car is designed for run-flats, but it might be true they maybe "tuned" ride-wise to match them.

If you specified run flats then you are within your rights to ask them to correct the issue.

Run flats and normal should never be mixed on the same axel and ideally not on the same vehicle as they perform dramatically different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perfectly legal to fit non run flats and run flats to separate axels, just not on the same axel. If they have not supplied what you wanted. Then yes they are obliged to correct this.

Sent from my iPhone

I think you should start by approaching them and see what they say.

They may realise they made a mistake by not noticing the old tyres not run-flats before removing them, or they may stick to their guns and say you did not stipulate run-flats.

If they are unhelpful, you could have a case of 'not fit for purpose' claim because as professionals they should have adviced you about this etc etc.

But what probably happened is that the tyre change was carried out by a junior member of staff and his manager was unaware that the car had run-flats.

Looking at National's website:

http://www.national.co.uk/information/run-flat-tyres

It seems that there is no specific issue with mixing run-flats and standard tyres, apart for the general guideline that says that ideally all four tyres on a car should be of the same type:

"Mixing Conventional Tyres with Run Flat Tyres

As a general rule of thumb, you should avoid mixing different tyre types on a vehicle. This is also true of combining conventional and run flat tyres on a car – as their handling characteristics may differ, they should not be mixed on a vehicle."

Looking at National's website:

Run Flat Tyres - The Definitive Guide - National Tyres and Autocare

It seems that there is no specific issue with mixing run-flats and standard tyres, apart for the general guideline that says that ideally all four tyres on a car should be of the same type:

"Mixing Conventional Tyres with Run Flat Tyres

As a general rule of thumb, you should avoid mixing different tyre types on a vehicle. This is also true of combining conventional and run flat tyres on a car – as their handling characteristics may differ, they should not be mixed on a vehicle."

Thanks for the help mate. At least I can make my 250 mile round trip journey tomorrow in comfort knowing I am not driving with a non fit for purpose car!

But I'll definitely be wanting to speak to the manager tomorrow to take this further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom