Run flat tyres benefit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aded

Car
W204 C180 2012
Hi all, I think runflat tyres are better than normal tyres.Goid experience to share.
On Sunday I was on my way from Manchester to Trafford area.at few minutes to 4pm As I got to m60, I got warning light to check my tyre pressure, I press on and continue my journey bcos it was raining and dark,about 13miles to go, on getting out of motor way I noticed small sound at the local road,managed to get to my destination checked and tyre was down, I got spare wheel, very late after work, called AA, tyre was changed to spare,back on the road,following day to tyre shop,runflat repaired with small hole it he middle,back on the car all ok,I think RUN FLAT his the best.

Good news, every time i get a puncture they tell me its near the side wall and scrap, new tyre sir ? Thats £120 thank you.
Slowly changing to normal tyres now on the wifes B200 as it seems to wear out the front Dunlops too quick on the edges.
Bought a cheap space-saver off Ebay instead of the puncture spray can just in case. Hopefully replacement tyres now won't be a silly price.

Indeed the benefit of runflat tyres is that you do not need to stop the car on the hard shoulder on the motorway (or at any other unsafe location), but can continue your journey until it's safe to stop and sort-out the puncture.

That said... as far as I know, a runfalt tyre that became depleted and was driven-on should not be reused.... the idea is that the hard sidewall has taken a beating and the tyre will now be unsafe to use. If I were in your place, I would take the car to another tyre-fitter - preferably a national chain rather than a 'backstreet' garage - and ask for a second opinion before relying on the repaired tyre.,

I had runflats on my C43. Ther ride was harsh. I changed to normal tyres and it transformed the ride.

Note that there is a lot of steel reinforcement in runflat tyres and that also makes them very heavy.

I had runflats on my C43. Ther ride was harsh. I changed to normal tyres and it transformed the ride.

Note that there is a lot of steel reinforcement in runflat tyres and that also makes them very heavy.

I love the way it makes noise and ash anyway.

It should be replaced. Extract from National Tyres

Can Run Flat tyres be repaired?​

In line with most leading tyre retailers, National Tyres will not repair a run flat tyre following a puncture. Most manufacturers advise against repairing run flat tyres. If the deflated tyre has been driven on, it could have compromised its strength, and it is impossible for a fitter to know if the tyre was driven on for longer/faster than recommended after a puncture. For a brand specific answer you can contact the manufacturers below, but generally it will be hard to find a retailer who will be willing to repair a run flat tyre.

It should be replaced. Extract from National Tyres

Can Run Flat tyres be repaired?​

In line with most leading tyre retailers, National Tyres will not repair a run flat tyre following a puncture. Most manufacturers advise against repairing run flat tyres. If the deflated tyre has been driven on, it could have compromised its strength, and it is impossible for a fitter to know if the tyre was driven on for longer/faster than recommended after a puncture. For a brand specific answer you can contact the manufacturers below, but generally it will be hard to find a retailer who will be willing to repair a run flat tyre.
Thanks mate,the tyre was checked before and after repair.It was brand new tyre and not sure if totally flat, after checked the distance I only did about 7 miles with the tyre.not bad, and not doing motorway mostly local rides.

If run flats can't be repaired then it seems to me they are not fit for purpose. You pay more for them, suffer a harder ride then when you get a puncture they have to be replaced at high cost. The main benefit seems to be the avoidance of changing a wheel in an unsafe location. Here's a thought, why not use conventional tyres and if you get a puncture in a hazardous location, drive on it very slowly and wreck it just the same. It will cost less to replace than a run flat. You might want to use one of those aerosol repairs which if a miracle occurs might just work and if it doesn't will provide some lube. I guess the downside is you wouldn't get far driving on a conventional flat tyre and might damage the wheel.

Not withstanding the OP's experience I consider run flats to be a solution to a problem that barely exists, as punctures on well maintained tyres are rare. I've never had a flat out on the road in 50 years of driving.

If run flats can't be repaired then it seems to me they are not fit for purpose. You pay more for them, suffer a harder ride then when you get a puncture they have to be replaced at high cost. The main benefit seems to be the avoidance of changing a wheel in an unsafe location. Here's a thought, why not use conventional tyres and if you get a puncture in a hazardous location, drive on it very slowly and wreck it just the same. It will cost less to replace than a run flat. You might want to use one of those aerosol repairs which if a miracle occurs might just work and if it doesn't will provide some lube. I guess the downside is you wouldn't get far driving on a conventional flat tyre and might damage the wheel.

Not withstanding the OP's experience I consider run flats to be a solution to a problem that barely exists, as punctures on well maintained tyres are rare. I've never had a flat out on the road in 50 years of driving.
I agree, I changed all my runflats on my previous BMW 320, cheaper tyres and better ride. I am slowly changing over the wifes B200 tyres now as they warrant, I have bought a spacesaver for £30 and made sure the wheel nuts are not over tight.
I could no doubt change it if needs be in 20 mins if I ever got a puncture, and the only punctures i've ever had have been really slow ones.

I never bothered with runflats, exactly for the reasons you mentioned.

It's an expensive tyre with a relatively limited choice of models, that is heavy, offers a harsh ride and can't be repaired.

But I am not ignoring the benefits it offers. I was so far lucky enough to always be able to stop safely and change a flat tyres, but you don't want to be doing that on a Smart Motorway or behind a bend on a narrow B-Road with a 50mph speed limit.

Driving till you find a safe spot isn't always a great idea either, Smart Motorways can stretch for miles as well as some body B-Roads, and it's just a question of time before the tyre is shred and the rim gets damaged.

Add to this the fact that with runflats you can actually continue your journey, at least to some extent, i.e. continue driving on a punctured runflat tyre (within limits) and get to your destination, e.g. it could get you home safely on a cold and wet night so that you can with the flat tyre the following morning.

But, again, I still chose standard tyres because for me overall the benefits don't justify it.

PS - I carry in the car a full-size spare, as well as an MB Tirefit kit including inflator and sealant - just in case.

Why would a runflat tyre that has only been driven for a couple of miles be less repairable that a ‘regular’ tyre that has had a slow puncture of a similar nature ?

Runflats will deflate, that is true but will also retain their shape better than regular tyres whose loss of pressure is noticeably visible.

I do agree that a runflat that is driven for considerable miles must be replaced but for normal driving and in normal situations, the journeys are but a few miles and usually at low speed. Few punctures are actually picked up on motorways.

Why would a runflat tyre that has only been driven for a couple of miles be less repairable that a ‘regular’ tyre that has had a slow puncture of a similar nature ?

Runflats will deflate, that is true but will also retain their shape better than regular tyres whose loss of pressure is noticeably visible.

I do agree that a runflat that is driven for considerable miles must be replaced but for normal driving and in normal situations, the journeys are but a few miles and usually at low speed. Few punctures are actually picked up on motorways.

The issue is that when the tyre repairer is presented with a flat runflat tyre they simply have no way of knowing how long it was driven on, or how fast etc. And they do not have the tools to inspect the sidewall for internal tears or other hidden damage.

They can off course ask the driver... but given the high cost of a new runflat tyre, and the fact that too many motorists run their cars on a budget these days, the tyre fitter may find that a significant proportion of his runflat customers had the puncture "just around the corner" from the tyre shop... :doh:

The same argument can be made regarding standard tyres; but the difference is in probability. Runflat tyres are very likely to have been driven-on a considerable distance (all the way to the tyre shop) - after all, this it what they are designed for, while standard tyres most likely haven't been driven-on for a considerable distance, or if they have been, then they would be damaged beyond repair anyway.

I think the exception would be a 'slow puncture' - I.e. where the nail is still stuck in the tyre - on this case the tyre has never actually been deflated and should be repairable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom