Run Flats On A CLS55 With 19" Alloys?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

triumphboy

Car
CLS55 AMG
I have a CLS55 on original 19" alloys, which as anyone who has the same will know, are very prone to cracking and therefore punctures. Because of this I carry a space saver spare wheel in the boot (from CLS63 I think). It's actually in the boot, not under the boot floor there's no room for it there. I know from experience tyre foam doesn't always get you out of a sticky situation.

I'm thinking about buying run flats, but was advised by a local tyre fitter that "due to the harder side walls", they were even more likely to crack my alloys than standard tyres.

Any thoughts/experience on this? I'd like to free up my boot space, but not at the expense (quite literally!) of even more cracked alloys....

The runflats will give you a very hard ride. I had them on my C43 and ditched them. The tye fitter is probably correct....they are the people that always identify this issue, in particular with AMG and BMW alloys when you find your tyre losing pressure.

The only option to stop the cracking issue is to buy a stronger non AMG alloy wheel, forged alloys (very expensive), or step down in size where the tyre profile provides more of a cushion effect for the wheel.

Last edited:
Run flats will definitely have greater potential to cause crack to the alloy wheels. You'll end up tig welding if they do develop crack. Avoid if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom