Run flats or not...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rashman

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK
Hey all,

I bought a W205 C-Class amg line last year for a family daily (note the lower case AMG because it’s an imposter - often snarled at by the AMG in the garage).

It’s on run flats.

Trying to decide what to do when I replace the tyres.

I initially thought about staying with run flats, reason being is that if I get a puncture when out with the family, at least I can still drive without the risk of being stranded.

But the ride quality on run flats is quite harsh, which is why I’m wondering whether to go with a traditional tyre next time.

Any thoughts or advice?

Traditional tyres and a can of tyre weld in the boot?

If there's space under the boot liner for a space saver, buy one. If there's space for a full-size spare, even better.

Regarding runflats... personally I don't use them, but before dismissing them keep in mind that there's a safety benfit in having them as you can continue and drive the car until you reach a safe place to stop.

E.g., if you get a flat tyre next to a bend on a B road with no hard shoulder, or on a Smart Motorway, you wouldn't want to have to stop and replace it there and then (even if you did carry a spare tyre in the boot).

My logical approach would be to assess the risk by asking how many punctures you have you had that immobilised the car. I have had none that I can remember in 50 years so I would never exchange a poor ride for that level of risk.

My logical approach would be to assess the risk by asking how many punctures you have you had that immobilised the car. I have had none that I can remember in 50 years so I would never exchange a poor ride for that level of risk.
Fair point.

In the past 20 years I had 3 flat tyres, the wife had 2.

In almost all cases it was due to screws on the road next to building sites or scaffolding etc.

(On one occasion it was a one week old brand new ContiPremiumContact2 MO that had to be replaced :( )

Hadn't had a flat tyre on a Motorway though (touch wood).

I would also echo 190's experience of not having had an immobilising puncture; in my case, over the past 39 years.

My previous car was a 3-series BMW with run-flats; until that point, I had only owned vehicles with conventional tyres. I received a warning that the rear off-side tyre was under-pressure whilst on a long journey. I pulled into a service station to check the pressure but the metal valve cap had corroded itself to the valve, so I drove very, very slowly to the nearest tyre shop about 20 miles further on.

The tyre shop could not get the dust cap off either and ended up destroying the valve in the process, but that is by-the-by. When they removed the wheel they discovered the reason for the lack of pressure: a massive de-lamination of the tyre that I could comfortably fit my hand into!!! This was on half-worn Michelin tyres. I am not sure what would have happened if I had continued to drive the car, but I did feel that the fact they were run-flats had lulled me into a false sense of security.

A previous owner of my E280 had obviously decided to change from run-flats to normal tyres, as that is what I got when I bought it. I feel much happier knowing that I have a space-saver in the boot that I can use for a pit-stop and, as another member has posted, you can always carry a can of tyre weld.

if Immobilising punctures really are as rare as it seems then run flats are a solution to a problem that barely exists and pretty poor solution at that.

if Immobilising punctures really are as rare as it seems then run flats are a solution to a problem that barely exists and pretty poor solution at that.
Runflats only exist because manufacturers don't want to provide a spare wheel, jack and tools anymore. It gives them a reduction in weight, better MPG and more cubic feet of boot space. A win win for them.

Hey all,

I bought a W205 C-Class amg line last year for a family daily (note the lower case AMG because it’s an imposter - often snarled at by the AMG in the garage).

It’s on run flats.

I initially thought about staying with run flats, reason being is that if I get a puncture when out with the family, at least I can still drive without the risk of being stranded.

But the ride quality on run flats is quite harsh, which is why I’m wondering whether to go with a traditional tyre next time.

Any thoughts or advice?
Good to see you’re still posting pal!

I ditch run flats at every opportunity, they’re too harsh and heavy and a “normal” tyre will transform the ride.

Hey all,

It’s on run flats.

Any thoughts or advice?

If you intend to change all 4 Tyres, it makes sense to opt for normal Tyres if that suits your needs, if you are in the normal change the rears twice x change the fronts once, then I would suggest sticking to the Runflats!

I ditch run flats at every opportunity, they’re too harsh and heavy and a “normal” tyre will transform the ride.

Yo,

Yeah, I’m still here bud :confused:

Hope all is well with you.

Thanks for your input.
I think I am swaying towards swapping them out for normal tyres, some Michelin’s.
The ride really is too harsh with these run flats.
It’s was the getting stranded element that for me thinking, that’s all.

If you intend to change all 4 Tyres, it makes sense to opt for normal Tyres if that suits your needs, if you are in the normal change the rears twice x change the fronts once, then I would suggest sticking to the Runflats!
Hi mate,
Thanks also for the input.

I would be looking to change them all at once, so maybe normal tyres would be best I think.

Not a lover of run flats but 2 yrs ago a shudder came into the car at around 70 mph , I thought something serious was wrong could barely see I had a flat
it was Sunday 50 mls from home , rang a guy who said he would meet me to fix puncture at his workshop 35 mls away and told me to stick we bit of air in it at a garage and drive on over , I drove the 35 mls at 35-40 mph , but hairy but got there and he fixed tyre in 15 minutes and I ran on for around another 7`-8000 mls befor it needed changed. But to be honest I prefer normals and a spare and a full size if there’s room.

I ditch run flats at every opportunity, they’re too harsh and heavy...............e.

..........and more expensive than a normal tyre

As said - A lot depends on where and why you drive.
I used to do a lot of site work - often in steel stock-yards.
Punctures were an occupational hazard.
Since I stopped that type of work, I've never had a puncture.
However - on the down-side, I've recently needed to have all four wheels refinished as the seal areas had deteriorated.
They were losing pressure ... The usual problem with aging alloys.
You really need to make your own decisions.
Even when I got more punctures, I was never attracted to run-flats because of the ride concerns.

Just curious would the ride with normal tyres be that much noticeable over the RF tyres. On 19" wheels. E63 w212.
I will be in a similar situation soon with my tyres.

No hijack intended OP. As I didn't seem it necessary to start a new thread. :thumb:

Thanks, Tom

Just curious would the ride with normal tyres be that much noticeable over the RF tyres. On 19" wheels. E63 w212.
I will be in a similar situation soon with my tyres.

My C Class on 19" runflats is more comfortable than my SLC on 18" normal tyres.
I'm not sure that modern runflats are as bad as they used to be, even though there are too many variables to give an exact answer.

My C Class on 19" runflats is more comfortable than my SLC on 18" normal tyres.
I'm not sure that modern runflats are as bad as they used to be, even though there are too many variables to give an exact answer.

Thanks rf065, I'm not sure I wanted to hear that lol. I'm not sure if it makes any difference but obviously the 63 6.2 comes with air suspension at the back springs up front

If the suspension is designed/tuned to use wheels shod with run-flats going to 'normal' tyres might be detrimental to the ride and handling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom