Runaround - advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SHAKTER

Car
W124 320TE, W124 300CE, W124 E36 AMG, W210 E240 V6, G Wagon
Advice needed people! I am thinking of getting a daily runaround. Something cheap and cheerful. As you can tell probably tell, I am not a fan of modern ‘eruoboxes’ and like something with a bit of ‘character’. I love driving so want to enjoy the experience everytime! Currently am thinking of a Brabus Smart Roadster Coupe or a Classic Mini Cooper. I know, two very different choices!

Have always been a fan of the classic Mini, but have no experience whatsoever in them. Does anyone here know much about them? In terms of ownership, niggles, rust, and generally if it's a worthwhile experience, etc, etc. At the moment I am even thinking of picking up a battered one and restoring it!

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, as ever.

Original Minis do rust quite badly, in particular the subframes, front wings, 'A' panels, boot floor/battery tray and front scuttle panel. They also rust around the seams/gutters where the panels are joined.

Great fun cars and easy to work on but choose carefully. My first car was a 1966 850cc Mini Traveller :)

We just bought a MX5 as a runaround for my good lady. They are great fun to drive, RWD with a choice of engines. If the 2 seats and small boot is not a problem to you then I'd suggest adding this to your list of potential cars.

Let me know your thoughts.

Minis rust only slightly less and Vitos and W210s, unless you're a welder by trade I'd get someting small and newish with a diesel engine.

Minis are fun for about 5 minutes, and then you realise how ****e they are and if it rains they always break down.

One problem with the old shape Mini is that the bumpers are way lower than any other car ... the rear end in particular is very vulnerable to damage in even a low speed rear end knock.

Also from the point of occupant safety it's obviously an ancient design ...

I would rather be in something a little safer than a mini in a crash...

Don;t get me wrong I love them, used to own one, mum has had them for years and we were in a mini club :) but they are tiny now, no saftey features at all. Yes they rust, subframes can be replaced, we use to wax oil ours regulary.

Smart roadster I like the look of drove a brabus chipped one of a collegue a few years back and on a buiness park I kept going round and round the roundabouts as it was such good fun. Gear box clunky though not smooth like an auto should be.

Wifes mum has a normal style smart, but a Brabus one, feels nippy but small and top heavy.

I like the idea of the MX5 again I had a Mk1 (pop up lights) and wife had the last of the Mk2.5's great fun.

You don't tend to see them with much if any rust although they are getting on a little now.

Whats your budget and requirements?

Given your looking at a mini I guess a two seater would be ok?

So cheap, fun, good on fuel, bit safer? I would also choose MX5

I've also owned an old shape Mini and it was fun to drive and reasonably reliable, but that was 20 years ago ... I wouldn't choose one as an everyday car now.

^ thats another good thought

We bought this for a 'challenge' car in an event £600 and after a good clean it was really nice.

DSCF7742.jpg

DSCF7746.jpg

celicawet.jpg

Cheap quality motoring, it felt great and it still managed a 0-60 time in 8 seconds

The fact that you want a daily run-around suggests that you want something fairly soon. A restoration job on a classic Mini will be a protracted project and costly.

If you want something from that period the BMC 1100 / 1300 offers more space than a Mini but with the same great handling and a very refined ride for a car of that age.

This one looks tidy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-1100-1968-/270820275411?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f0e2574d3

If you want to spend more then a 1300GT will offer performance that will easily keep up modern traffic and for much less than a Mini of a similar age and in similar condition.

Last edited:
Excellent suggestions there, thanks all!

Hmmmm I did overlook the safety aspect to be honest. That aside, I just love the Mini's for some reason, but agree, there is a lot more out there that can offer equal amounts of 'fun'.

Will keep my options open and keep you updated. Keep the ideas coming!

:thumb:

Does it have to be a little car??How about a 190,you can get a 2l fairly cheap

Ford Probe?

Bought one on a whim when I needed a car to replace the W202... It's been my daily runabout since, and for £500ish including MOT and Tax I'm pretty impressed... had it 9 months now without any problems...

Only complaint is it's front wheel drive...

Prefer something little to chuck around. Used to have a little 1.25l ,1999, Ford Fiesta. Gave me many years of joyful city driving.

Whatrs a rough budget I will have a think.

MX5 top of my list so far, or depending upong budget, S2000, Z3 roadster.

Might as well have a fun run about :)

Whatrs a rough budget I will have a think.

MX5 top of my list so far, or depending upong budget, S2000, Z3 roadster.

Might as well have a fun run about :)

Budget is small! Put it this way, if I could have my Fiesta back I would (my lil' brother drives it now). I would just get another one, but want something different. Literally something to chuck around town. I dont' want to worry about a few knocks and bangs! Prefer something old/classic too as insurance is so cheap that way! But not fussed on that point.

Let's say £1000 tops, but prefer less!

Another idea - I've always been keen on a MkI VW Golf or a Pug 205 GTi! :cool:

Last edited:
Is it a sin that I still love these? Spirit Autos : RENAULT 5 GT TURBO PHASE 2

Didn't realise they were still this 'expensive'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom