Running a BMW 320D on veggie oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m2287

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63 AMG
I recently acquired a 2002 BMW 320d (150bhp version). My FIL tells me that as its the same lump as the land rover TD4 which both have common rail injection, that he recons it should run on a 50-50 mix of veggie and normal diesel. (I can get unused veggie oil VERY cheap from my work).

Apparently his mate who had a td4 used to do it. Now I have posted on a BMW forum and was pretty much instantly shot down but the guys provided no back up for their argument, just saying it will knacker the engine and turbo blardy blah.

I found this link of someone else who appears to be running his TD4 on veg oil mix:

Freelander TD4 and Veg oil

It appears that it worked fine although he had to change his fuel filter after a while, which seems common anyway. I was thinking of starting with a 90% diesel - 10% SVO mix first then moving up in stages of 5% increase with every tank to 60%diesel - 40%SVO.

I know alot of you guys know your stuf so what do you recon, can it be done, or would I be crazy to try it?!

Freelander TD4 is fitted with a version of the M47 BMW engine but this is set up totally different to the M47 engine in a 320d. Use SVO/Diesel mix in a 320d and the injectors won't take it, I would not put this mix any where near a BMW common rail set up. This engine even struggles on bio diesel and BMW wont warrant it if run on pure biodiesel alone.

However my Nephew is a tech advisor on the BMW forum and some owners report running on rapeseed oil with no problems, but there are many reports of failed injectors and turbo's on these cars when running on SVO/Diesel, combine that with the swirl flap issue and saving a few pounds on fuel may cost thousands longer term. Just my twopenneth of course.

Freelander TD4 is fitted with a version of the M47 BMW engine but this is set up totally different to the M47 engine in a 320d. Use SVO/Diesel mix in a 320d and the injectors won't take it, I would not put this mix any where near a BMW common rail set up. This engine even struggles on bio diesel and BMW wont warrant it if run on pure biodiesel alone.

However my Nephew is a tech advisor on the BMW forum and some owners report running on rapeseed oil with no problems, but there are many reports of failed injectors and turbo's on these cars when running on SVO/Diesel, combine that with the swirl flap issue and saving a few pounds on fuel may cost thousands longer term. Just my twopenneth of course.

The td4 does use the common rail system, however it has slightly smaller cc 1950 instead of 1995 or something iirc.

Had the car 2 days and it ate a swirl flap... Had a couple of days booked off work to deswirl the inlet manifold but it died 3 days before that! Engine is being replaced now which is also why I'm looking into saving some pennies!

The td4 does use the common rail system, however it has slightly smaller cc 1950 instead of 1995 or something iirc.

Had the car 2 days and it ate a swirl flap... Had a couple of days booked off work to deswirl the inlet manifold but it died 3 days before that! Engine is being replaced now which is also why I'm looking into saving some pennies!

The whole injection system on a TD4 is different to that on your 320d as well, if you need any further info don't hesitate to ask and I'll ask my Nephew as he is the expert, he runs a 530d kicking out over 350 bhp :eek:

The whole injection system on a TD4 is different to that on your 320d as well, if you need any further info don't hesitate to ask and I'll ask my Nephew as he is the expert, he runs a 530d kicking out over 350 bhp :eek:

Wow that's almost as much as my 55!!!!! Thanks alot, although I don't think I'll be saving any money on diesel now though :( lol!

No I mean SVO as in unused veg oil... We use 100s of litres a week.
Cheers for the link

Soz, misread your original post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom