Running in a new engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gklau

Car
C180K Avantagarde SE
Hey guys, I'm going to pick up my new car on Friday. Its a C 180K

I was just wondering does anyone know the 'proper' way how to break-in/run-in a new engine? Some say drive as you would normally drive. Others say take it easy and don't push the revs, at least for the first 1000 miles.

Any experiences and advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Gary

Originally posted by gklau
Hey guys, I'm going to pick up my new car on Friday. Its a C 180K

I was just wondering does anyone know the 'proper' way how to break-in/run-in a new engine? Some say drive as you would normally drive. Others say take it easy and don't push the revs, at least for the first 1000 miles.

Any experiences and advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Gary

i would suggest that you limit yourself to two-third of rev and mph
for the 1st 1000miles.

Congratulation Gary,
Get the same spec as yours last December.
Funny enough when i got the car the sales manager told me you don't have tp take it easy as MB have test run all their cars i.e. engine before delivery.

However, i did drive it slow for couple of hundreds but just couldn't resist the temptation to test the kickdown when i was in the motorway. The car behave well until today and i think it's a great car.

Eric

new car, do you mean C180k twinpulse engine ? wow I am jealous.

I know this thread is a million years old but, my approach with new cars has always been to gently get them up to operating temp (not just engine) & then drive the b0ll0cks off them, preferably several times up a long, steep mountain.

I figure if it's going to break it's better it do it right at the get go while the dealer will fix it or replace it.

Never had a prob with any German car (MB, BMW, Porsche) though I've fairly comprehensively destroyed a couple of American Fords, which were just sh1te cars even when brand new.

You are all kidding yourselves... it was driven hard in the factory from cold to test gears etc.

The 1000 miles at low revs is just in case there is a fault in the manufacturing process not yet showing itself.

Just drive it as normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom