Russia Diary 2 - First ever sighting of a GLK!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
Hi Guys!

A day in Moscow on thursday brought my first ever sighting of a GLK!

This car was in a BP Connect petrol station (yes, really!) about 2km from Ikea in Moscow and if you look at the photo you'll see the GLK at the pumps, with my trusty Nissan at the front by the window and the BP Connect logos in the distance! GLK looks good, shame we're not getting it.

GLK%20Moscow%20BP%20Connect.JPG

It's down to the Volga river area tomorrow. There are some really nice cars in the Samara region, so I'll take some pics and post when we're back to our place in Vladimir in a weeks time.

Hope you're all enjoying the summer and your "Benzes" :)

The similarities between that and the lexus next to it worry me.

Yes! And, even similar was an Acura that had just left before I took this photo! They looked VERY close in style! Maybe the US market determines the look these days? :D

What is interesting about car spotting in Russia (especially Moscow) is the amount of makes and models you see that are not available in the UK. Makes for fascinating watching! :)

Ya lyubyu tyebye avtomobil - NYET!!!!!!

Pardon my schoolboy russki!

My Russian wife says "not bad school boy"! Translated you said: "I like your car - NOT!" LOL! Which one don't you like??? GLK is not THAT bad... :D

Can't see why MB don't export it here. After all, wouldn't it be a good rival to the X3?

My Russian wife says "not bad school boy"! Translated you said: "I like your car - NOT!" LOL! Which one don't you like??? GLK is not THAT bad... :D

Thanks! It was a long time ago!
No, I like the GLK, its your nasty Nissan I was commenting on!!

Gulp!!! Nasty Nissan!! I'm hurt! :D To be honest, this car is fantastic for Russian road conditions, and, being RHD, no-one would nick it! LOL! True, I wouldn't have it in the UK, but over here, it's just the job! :) I'm thinking about changing it for a Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol next year though as 4 x 4 cars are the best for the many "yamma", (Russian for pot holes!) poor quality roads and various forest and off-road trips! (Get's you serious street cred points here too! :) )

Just a quick addition before I have to say bye for a few days - W124 lovers would be very happy here!! There are more good condition W124s (off all types) here than anywhere else I've been! A testament to the great build quality of these cars for sure!! Could even be tempted by one myself as they look really cool here too! :) If I have my camera handy when I spot some, I'll upload on my return from the Volga!

Can't see why MB don't export it here. After all, wouldn't it be a good rival to the X3?

Problems converting the 4matic system to RHD. We are meant to be getting the facelift though.

wow, and what are you doing in russia?
govorish po russki? :)

Problems converting the 4matic system to RHD. We are meant to be getting the facelift though.

There is a RWD version coming some time soon. Should make it easier to build a RHD car. But I assume the GLK is coming as RHD 4-Matic too?

Am I right, you still haven't got GLK's?

Well, I've seen already something about 10 of them back home, but never thought, it hasn't been released in UK :(

The similarities between that and the lexus next to it worry me.
Not in the flesh. The Lexus is more Peugeot-like in styling -all sweeping curves and hugely raked screen and rear. The GLK is completely opposite: boxy and masculine and very upright -very like the GL in styling.

Attachments

• GLK from rear.jpg
    GLK from rear.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 52
  • NEW GLK.jpg
    NEW GLK.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 52
  • GLK interior.jpg
    GLK interior.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 51
So where would this car sit ? Between ML and GL or below ML? Or does it replace the ML? is it smaller than the ML? if so shouldnt it be called the SL..(small, medium and Grand)..oops SL already taken...how about PL for petit?

Also I thought the K after the letters was used for convertibles ..SLK, CLK.....so does the top come off of this GLK?

So where would this car sit ? Between ML and GL or below ML? Or does it replace the ML? is it smaller than the ML? if so shouldnt it be called the SL..(small, medium and Grand)..oops SL already taken...how about PL for petit?

Also I thought the K after the letters was used for convertibles ..SLK, CLK.....so does the top come off of this GLK?
It sits below the ML in the best selling area for 4x4's which is the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Nissan XTrail, VW Tiguan size. And the BMW X3 of course. It will be dearer than most -as you would expect for an MB but no doubt will be priced close to the X3. Perhaps £5k to £10k less than an ML. Not a huge saving maybe, but many people seem to want these smaller 4x4's. The fuel economy with the new 4 cylinder diesels will be special.

The ML replacement for 2012 has already been seen in disguise so the ML will go on and has been very successful.

The GLK has not come to Britain because once again engineers were surprised to discover that a RHD model would be needed. Doh! So they had the take-off point for the front drive shafts intruding from the gearbox tunnel into the footwell for a RHD driver. Dumb. Now they want 80 million euros to completely re-engineer it. Still may happen or we might get the GLK in two-wheel drive mode (which many competitors in the smaller 4x4 market offer).

Last edited:
The GLK is more square than an 80's Volvo!
So is a Range Rover. And the GL. Exactly what a 4x4 should be. A bit Jeep like. A bit LandRover-ish. I like it. Has a style and presence beyond what you'd expect in a smaller 4x4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom