Russia trip report..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
For those interested, we're on our annual Russia experience.

This year has been a weird one, not least because of the political situation which has made me feel uncomfortable here for the first time in all the years I've been coming to our place here. The feelings are running high regarding the Crimea and the EU sanctions and some people (not family) are seeing me as some kind of EU/USA proxy to be argued with at every turn. Not fun.

And, my wife's sister has been dumped by her Italian husband and is now living almost next door to us! Not great as we don't get along! Ah well.......

And now to the driving! God in heaven it's bad this year! There's a wildness that seems to be prevailing here generally at the moment and not more overtly expressed than on the roads. But, the police have been around at some opportune moments to metre out justice just at the right time! :D

As for cars - big and expensive is ruling yet again here in the town we "live" in.
Also, plenty of GLAs (lovely on the road!) CLAs (not so..) and new C and S class. A LOAD of new BMW including the very popular X6 and X5. Ininiti FX and Lexus/Toyota SUVs abound!

And lastly, the weather.. HOT! Over 30 everyday...and night! :D

If anything amazing happens I'll add to the thread. If not, have a great summer everyone and drive safe!!! :)

Last edited:
Sue and I are considering the Trans-Siberian to Beijing next year Sept/Oct time (if funds allow!) and would of course pick it up in Moscow, spending a couple of nights there first. Probably fly from Paris as the train cost for that leg seems very expensive proportionally.

Given that things are likely to get worse before they get better in Russia, we likely to be OK? If we decide to take the trip, we will of course be looking for tips etc.!

Trans-Siberian - doesn't that sound impossibly adventurous and romantic?! :rock:

Sounds like a great trip!! Something I always wanted to do as a child!

I doubt you would have any issues. Just don't get into drinking with anyone - that's when the vitriol comes out! LOL!

I'd be happy to share any tips and advice, no problem! :)

Well, the great Russian adventure is in it's last 2 weeks now! How the time has flown!

Nothing much to report, except the trusty JDM Nissan of 7 years has finally gone! Yup, I felt the time was right to change it as the ruble is at an amazing low right now so everything is around 20% cheaper!! Coupled with the fact that it had started to rust, I decided to hunt down it's replacement. Just yesterday I found it - a 2009 Nissan Qashqai 2.0 Tekna auto. The perfect car in some way for Russian roads and the desire to often go mildly off road but still wanting something that drives like a car and not a truck! :D

So. deal is done. Sylphy gets part ex'd on friday and I drive home with a nice Qashqai which I hope will be as reliable and easy to own as Sylphy was! :)

Political situation has eased a lot now, especially with the proposed ceasefire in Ukraine so we're looking forward to a pleasant, fun two weeks before flying home. :)

I hope everyone has had a great summer too! :)

bpsorrel-albums-bpsorrel-s-cars-picture8531-my-new-russian-holiday-car-09-nissan-qashqai-2-0-tekna-auto-bought-september-2014.jpg

Last edited:
Having plants in Russia is the only viable way. Eventually only those manufacturers who actually build cars in Russia will be able to sell them there.

Recently, all official government cars had to be domestically produced. No more government Mercedes! This will spread for sure.

Which company did your cousin set up? Quite a few are based in StP now.

Having plants in Russia is the only viable way. Eventually only those manufacturers who actually build cars in Russia will be able to sell them there.

Recently, all official government cars had to be domestically produced. No more government Mercedes! This will spread for sure.

Which company did your cousin set up? Quite a few are based in StP now.

Hmm... begins with F. ;)

Interestingly they have the longest history in Russia. The original Volgas were based on one of their models. I have a photo somewhere of one rolling of the production line many years ago! :)

Found it! The first F ever made in CCCP :)

Attachments

• firstcccpford.jpg
    firstcccpford.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
And now to the driving! God in heaven it's bad this year! There's a wildness that seems to be prevailing here generally at the moment and not more overtly expressed than on the roads. But, the police have been around at some opportune moments to metre out justice just at the right time! :D

I've been a couple of times and both times had a 3-4 hour drive from / to airport and driving around.
One word: LUNATICS!
I've never seen anything like it. The roads and road users are equally as bad as each other!
People driving along the central reservation on the grass at 80+mph passing other cars...
Motorways that are 4 or 5 lanes with no lane markings. Like, NO lane markings. Everyone just weaving in and out of each other. No line marking to the central reservation (this one at least had a barrier), with bridge supports jutting a lanes width into the carraige way...
A very frightening experience.:eek:

Moscow was lovely though. Very nice place.

Russia and Italy have long had very close ties. Think PCI.

I've been a couple of times and both times had a 3-4 hour drive from / to airport and driving around.
One word: LUNATICS!
I've never seen anything like it. The roads and road users are equally as bad as each other!
People driving along the central reservation on the grass at 80+mph passing other cars...
Motorways that are 4 or 5 lanes with no lane markings. Like, NO lane markings. Everyone just weaving in and out of each other. No line marking to the central reservation (this one at least had a barrier), with bridge supports jutting a lanes width into the carraige way...
A very frightening experience.:eek:

Moscow was lovely though. Very nice place.
I remember those days, driving (and riding) from Moscow to where we live, Vladimir along the M7 where lunatics would be hacking along on the wrong side of the road narrowly avoiding head-ons!! I have to say though, these days it's not as bad as that and with a lot of cameras and large fines, some of the utter madness has gone!

Actually, I must confess to being caught by a camera myself a couple of weeks ago on the Ivanovo road, doing 104Kmh through a village (60kmh limit..). I got flashed and two weeks later the fine appeared...... 1000 rubles! Wow, got off light there!! But even so, there are a lot more police around and the roads are a somewhat less scary place than they used to be!

|Happy days!! I'm collecting the Qashqai tomorrow and will have some nice drives around Vladimir and the surrounding area! :) The nature and views here really are beautiful and do actually make the occasionally wildness worthwhile! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom