Russia's track and field athletes banned from Rio Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hqdefault.jpg

nelson-haha_zpsah1hchqz.png

Putin's response to the drugs ban: 'Use of drugs in sports is a worldwide problem. Why ban only Russia? Why discriminate against us?'

Putin's response to the threat of ban due to the Russian fans behaviour in Paris: 'Football huliganism is a worldwide problem. Why ban only Russia? Why discriminate against us?'

Putin's response to accusation that Russian war planes fly over Europe: 'American spy plane fly over Russian airspace. Why blame only Russia? Why discriminate against us?'

Etc etc....

He seems like a well-balanced person - a chip on each shoulder....

markjay said:
Putin's response to the drugs ban: 'Use of drugs in sports is a worldwide problem. Why ban only Russia? Why discriminate against us?' Putin's response to the threat of ban due to the Russian fans behaviour in Paris: 'Football huliganism is a worldwide problem. Why ban only Russia? Why discriminate against us?' Putin's response to accusation that Russian war planes fly over Europe: 'American spy plane fly over Russian airspace. Why blame only Russia? Why discriminate against us?' Etc etc.... He seems like a well-balanced person - a chip on each shoulder....

But he has a point. Does he not?

Me thinks asking Seb what's going on with Russia may not clear things up. Shambles.

IAAF now saying any Russian athletes who can prove they are "clean" can compete under a neutral flag. So no ban just a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I wrote an academic paper on drug use in sport, where I examined the various arguments and reasons for it. Ultimately, my conclusion was that, on balance, it probably ought to be allowed.

ChrisEdu said:
I wrote an academic paper on drug use in sport, where I examined the various arguments and reasons for it. Ultimately, my conclusion was that, on balance, it probably ought to be allowed.

See the Lance Armstrong defence.

If I didn't do it when everybody else was doing it. How could I be competitive.

I'm afraid athletics is now in that same place. More testing simply reveals more sophistication and excuses then denials.

What of Maria Sharapova?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Ultimately, it comes down to competitive advantage.The argument that drugs damage the user is a poor one, as plenty of damage is caused by legitimate training means.

However, if sport is meant to be about a level playing field, again this doesn't happen, due to vast difference in technology and resources available to athletes from different countries /backgrounds.

With no control they'd all be beyond control, result mayhem, carnage, the lunatics would be running the asylum!!..., How would that improve the situation? :wallbash:

Would be allowed - as in only certain drugs and only in certain dosages, i.e. in a controlled way?

Or allowed as in each athlete can take whatever they like?

The former would introduce an unnecessary new level of complexity into competitions....

While the latter will change the sport from being about the athletes' achievement to one that rewards the efforts of the individual combined with that of the pharmaceutical company behind him/her - perhaps in the same way that an F1 win is a combined achievement for driver and manufacturer. A good driver will not win without a good car, and vice versa.

I think that the issue with using drugs in sports is that if done illegally than - as others said - it is not a level playing field, and if permitted, then we will not be testing human physical ability and mental endurance, instead we be will measuring how clever are the lab technician back at Pfizer or Roche or GSK etc.

Sport isn't a level playing field anyway - that's the whole point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom