Rust bubble - how to clear it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uchiha

Car
1992 500E
I took the car into a body shop today to get a quote for some rust bubbling on one of the wings. The work would entail a simple rub down and respray. They told me, however, that the rust would definitely return within a couple of year.

Furthermore, they said that no matter what you do, even if you do a bare metal respray, the rust will always come back and that the only solution is a new wing.

Is this true? Surely not?

The rust is coming through very quickly - there was only a small bubble the size of a five pence piece 6 months ago, and now there are several. I'm concerned that I should take some action before the rust really takes hold.

Is this true? Surely not?

I've had little experience myself, but everything I've heard from friends who do car restoration and bodywork all say exactly the same.

It's depressing but rust is a cancer to cars.

If the rust is appearing very quickly I think the rust has taken root in the steel pretty securely.

If you treat the spot you can see, there will be corroded bits that still remain and will rust again.

Alas, I learned this as a teenager (cough) trying to keep on top of a rusting Austin 1300 :doh:

The only way that will rid your car of the rust is to cut out the panel and replace it.

But SURELY if you rub down to bare metal there is no rust remaining? Perhaps I don't understand. Does something change in the composition of the metal for this to happen?

I think new body panel is the way to go but is £££££

If you give a rust bubble a mighty good rub all you do is clear the corrosion that you can see.

If you rub really really well you will see small dots of corrosion around the spot you started with.

These are the small patches of rust that you can actually see. If you treat the stuff you can see, there will still be spots in the metal that remain untouched and that will grow the moment your back is turned.

If you can get medieval with the patch (say 15mm around the affected spot) and retain integrity of the panel all well and good, but I know from personal experience you will be patching it every now and then until the panel is so shot away that it needs replacing.

Sorry to haer about that.I know that e500 fenders is expensive but is the best way to go.Not long ago i had all the rust sorted on my car,but is back already

Thanks for your responses. I'll let it rot and replace the entire wing when I can afford it.

I called MB and to my surprise front wing is £500. The reason I was surprised is that a replacement bumper cover is £900 !

What side is it?There is a passenger side brand new wing in ebay.de for about 300euros

Unfortunately that's driver's side. I need passenger side. LHD.

Thanks for tip though.

if it's just at the edges, you may find a body shop willing and competant enough to cut out the rust and weld a new section in - as long s it's done properly, it should last a lot longer than just trying to grind out the rust

Would grinding away the surface rust and treating with Kurust works?

I posted a thread not long ago and everyone it's good for the remaining years of their ownership. I recall there was someone mentioned 3-4 years too!

if it's just at the edges, you may find a body shop willing and competant enough to cut out the rust and weld a new section in - as long s it's done properly, it should last a lot longer than just trying to grind out the rust

By the time you have paid for this then you would be better off buying a new wing - they bolt on so thats easy.

By the time you have paid for this then you would be better off buying a new wing - they bolt on so thats easy.

New panels, (wings) can start "rusty"

New cars can start rusty i.e. the models after the W124s

you can rub out the rust and treat it if its not to bad, depends how bad it is, if its started on the top via a stone chip for instance its curable, if its coming through from inside the metal the only way round it is to chop it out and replace with new steel, and if you cant do that yourself it'll be cheaper to buy a new wing.

Thanks - I think I'm going to go for new wing route as I don't plan on selling her.

Do you have a link to some pics of your rides?

Shame its rusting through. I thought the part was well over £650!

My uncles 500E rusted too, after repainting it rusted through again so it is possible.

After that, he abandoned the car in the garage and it's been there for over 5 years now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom