Rust bucket E55 rebuild - lovely

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smcampbell

Got myself my dream car after several years of owning a 1997 W210 E 320 Avantgarde for 13 years and now falling to the rust monster. A real joy to drive and mechanically sound - pity the lovely body falls off.

So, I finally found a sound car - W210 E55 2000 in Blue. Lovely with only 86k on the clock and lovely on the inside. Everything actually works.

Then the real stuff started. Had a quote of £6800 to respray and properly rebuild the marque. Hell no. I do not love her that much. But then again I did want to resotr the baby.

Even the parts from MB is a killer - AMG wing is 2x that of a normal only to realise that you are paying for them to roll the wing to 110degrees(Option 774).

So still counting the bills,
new front wings,
new rearwheel arch panels,
inner wings rear,
inner rear floor - just under the bumper corners.
front headlight back frame
new passenger door - front
complete strip back to bare metal
doors removed
bonnet removed
boot removed
Full Dinitrol cavity wax in doors and all possible gaps
new brake lines - front(started to rust where they bolt to the flexible line
Wheels re-furbished with Diamond cut lips(powder coat and lacquered
Exhaust off to cleay, zinc coat and seal.
Lovely Glasurit Blue paint back on with a real glass shine.......

I would now have to keep this car forever......

Attachments

• WP_000131.jpg
    WP_000131.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 357
  • WP_000128.jpg
    WP_000128.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 361
  • WP_000130.jpg
    WP_000130.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 358
More pics

Just a couple more pictures.....

Attachments

• WP_000132.jpg
    WP_000132.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 353
  • WP_000136.jpg
    WP_000136.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 354
  • WP_000142 (1).jpg
    WP_000142 (1).jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 353
Looking good,please post pictures as you go along

Good job, that's a really nice color.

Kept the original colour - Azurite Blue, but I guess the paint quality from glasurit is a bit better than the original back is 2000.

Nothing but good going on there! nice:thumb:

Very impressed ! I had an '01 model in Tansanite Blue. It was a great car, the engine is fantastic, memorable encounters too :)

Adding some more pictures....

E:\Pictures\Cars\P5260005.JPG

Was it a great guy called Nick? If it was, I know that car very well as it is the same colour as mine. Used to meet up with nick quite a bit, he wanted to see my car after I got it fully resprayed too. I have a cool pic of the two cars side by side.

Interesting read. I just bought a 1998 E55 W210 with just 40k miles on the clock but totally rust free and excellent condition for 3.5k GBP

Thats because I live in Hong Kong where mileages are lower since its an island so cant drive too far, plus older Benz's arent seen as valuable especially 5.5 litre gas guzzlers

Plus the lowest winter temperature here is 10C so we dont have salt, snow and so less rusting

Generally speaking you can pick up E55's for 3-5k GBP in reasonable condition, though they dont usually have any history

SL500's 1990's are around 3-5k GBP as well

Maybe could start an import export business to the UK

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/132115-newbie-e55-w210.html

I would be posting some pics of the finished item tomorrow. Just had some 19" wheels fitted but not fully happy with the gun metal grey colour. May get them painted a brilliant silver.

Hi .... Excellent another old AMG saved !!

Quick question you had "Exhaust off to cleay, zinc coat and seal" ... What does this do?
I was thinking of taking my C43 stainless exhaust off to clean/polish and replace some of the clamps over the winter months. Just wondering if you have done the same thing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom