Rust coming through filler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

krisby

Car
W203 C320
Last summer I had all 4 wheel arches resprayed to remove the rust. I had already treated the rust on the rear wheel arches with a hamerite rust converted, but that was presumably removed by the painter when he stripped, bogged, primed and painted the arches. Assuming he did all steps.

My concern now is that after only 6 months I have noticed a rust colour coming through the paint on the arches now I knew it wouldn't be permanent, but I expected it to last longer than 6 months.

The car is in for a service next week so I will ask my guy to talk to his painter about it, as I am not happy.

However, before I go getting on my high horse about it, what is other people's experience of this? How long did your rust coverup on a W203 last?

Rust

Rust is a problem. At the moment i have two front wings ,not Mercedes make i must ad .But are both as new , that are in paint but not my colour. I dont know weather to remove the old ones , and fit the new ones and repaint . Or remove them and weld in just one small rust patch at the bottom corner of the wing,in the area of rubber seal. As the new wings can be used for the patching ,cut out and weld in. Not happy with the aftermarket wings from un known maker. Had problems finding a good Mercedes used wings without rust on them. The thing is if its got rust, a cut out and weld new in is the best in the long run.

so no one else has had their W203s painted? yeah ok.

I had the bonnet repainted but with straight surfaces this is less of an issue.

With areas like wheel arches and sills, unless you cut out the rusty part and replace it with new metal it can be very difficult to eliminate rust completely.

Said that, the body should have pointed this out, i.e. that without replacing the metal the rust might come back, so that you know exactly what you are getting into.

I am lucky enough to have a good friend with a bodyshop. His advice has always been to cut out and weld in new. If you are keeping long term, you will end up paying far more for bodged repairs.

I had hoped to keep it long term, but my mechanic got me a deal with a chap last year, he only works for the trade and is renowned, apparently. My guy got me a deal for £400 for all 4 wheel arches, which I was pleased with, and that was meant to be a strip down and remove the rust from the arches, and respray. I didn't consider it a bodge, I was hoping for a good job, but it seems as others have said, it will come back no matter what. So even if I spent £1000, it could have come back, which would mean I'd be even more peed off.

If was 100% staying in the UK, I would keep it, but as my wife and I are considering the move back to NZ, then I would have trouble getting the car complied with rust present, its no guarantee anyway as the M112 is EuroIII, but NZ requires EuroIV. Maybe I'll have to consider an upgrade to rust free M272, assuming that is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom