RUST. Mercedes-Benz Vs Ford.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
How come these Ford vehicles aren't rusting?

This neglected Ford Mondeo (seen it many times, usually covered in leaves) lives in rural Macclesfied.

23rdMarch2013019.jpg

23rdMarch2013018.jpg

This equally neglected Transit Van I saw in Dover, hasn't seen a hosepipe in a long time.

Canterbury26thJuly2012075.jpg

Canterbury26thJuly2012076.jpg

The vehicles are around 8 and 15 years old and would cost around 50% less than the equivalent MB Model.

So the question is, what keeps 'em looking so rust-free?

Could it be the Alan Titchmarsh body protection system, or is it just that Ford have a paint system that puts that of Mercedes-Benz to shame?

Oh belive me fords rust ok, had a transit the same shape as that in for repair a few monthes ago. Both front inner arch's, steps, sills, strut mounting points, but it didnt look bad from the outside.

I've found that Mercedes tend to look rusty when they are infact solid, but fords look fine even when they are completely rotten. The exception is the w210, which you can sit and listen to the tin worm eating it away.

Ford fiesta's and ford ka's are awful, I fail (mot) loads on rust which is structural!!' I've welded so many floor pans, inner outer sills and inner wheel arches on fords, then there is the corrosion on brake pipes too....these are cars that are less then 10 years old :-/

Shak

please excuse my ignorance but is my e320 a w210 ? if it is then I cant find any rust on it , its a 1999 model

Without being too boring, it's all down to the treatment of the body shell before it is painted, the best process is full immersion but some places still have spray only, these do not clean the innards correctly for the E-coat protection. Even with full protection, the body can be sanded down so the final paint finish is smooth, again destroying the rust protection, most MB plants these days do have full immersion which is why rust is less of a problem in recent years.

please excuse my ignorance but is my e320 a w210 ? if it is then I cant find any rust on it , its a 1999 model

make sure you buy a lottery ticket! you are one very lucky guy and have a unique car!!!

How come these Ford vehicles aren't rusting?

This neglected Ford Mondeo (seen it many times, usually covered in leaves) lives in rural Macclesfied.

This equally neglected Transit Van I saw in Dover, hasn't seen a hosepipe in a long time.

Coastal cars with all that salt spray?

Coastal cars with all that salt spray?

Certainly the one in Dover. I wonder why that van hasn't disintegrated into a pile of rust? Perhaps the moss/algae is the way forward in bodywork protection? :D

I keep on seeing so many rusty MB vehicles. I wonder if someone will ever set up a website called myrustymercedes.com? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom