Rust problems ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CKLclive

Banned
Car
CLK 430
Hi all,

if any one has any rust related problems with their MB's and would like any
proffesional advice or help here is your chance, I will give free honest tried and trusted advice so fire away guys :rock:

Front arch of my car is rusted. Where do I start, and finish?

Remove the wing firstly, then apply wire brush drill type, treat area with acid wash off, then apply phosfate wash apply anti corrosion epoxy primer then key sand and apply 2k primer sand and top coat, lastly Bilt Hamber cavity wax inner wing,
if you check out Rustbuster you can find all the products you need and if you need anymore info ask me

Clive

My car aint got no rust...

because you treated it all, how do i get it back?? :D

Hi all,

proffesional advice or help here is your chance, I will give free honest tried and trusted advice so fire away guys :rock:

Timed perfectly fella.

I know you are a gold-mine of info - but any idea what MB's response is likely to be on a late 2005 B-Class that I bought for the wife from a main-dealer.....rear wheel-arch, drivers side bubbling all round and clearly rusted inside.

MB have inspected it and the whole car and claim it's not got enough paint on it all round - after telling me it's been in an accident and badly repaired....MB HQ have inspected this week and are consulting Germany...

On the grounds that it's done it round the whole wheel-arch in the last couple of months, should I accept a repair, or push for a repair and whole-car re-spray...and if they get in a hissy fit and refuse to pay up, what sort of costs would I be looking at to get it put right properly :)

Cheers,
Dan.

Ok, with your B class tell me was the original repair done by a MB bodyshop ?, how long ago was this accident damage repair done ? and did the bodyshop fit a new panel ?, sounds like to me they fitted a new panel but didnt apply pre weld galv coating primer to the arch spot welds thus you have rust forming on the arch
due to no protection bare metal etc, thats the trouble with most modern bodyshops
nowadays and even trusted MB bodyshops they need to get back to basics and think about it.

let me know what your MB wants to do and what they want to charge you

Clive

Ok, with your B class tell me was the original repair done by a MB bodyshop ?, how long ago was this accident damage repair done ? and did the bodyshop fit a new panel ?, sounds like to me they fitted a new panel but didnt apply pre weld galv coating primer to the arch spot welds thus you have rust forming on the arch
due to no protection bare metal etc, thats the trouble with most modern bodyshops
nowadays and even trusted MB bodyshops they need to get back to basics and think about it.

let me know what your MB wants to do and what they want to charge you

Clive

Well I don't think it was repaired to be honest Clive....I think they tried to use that as a first cop-out! The only previous owner says it wasn't repaired as MB have called them - so it comes down to their second statement of "paint is too thin all over" - that's why they got MB UK to come and inspect (ironically, the chap came from Milton Keynes and got lost coming to Cambridge as the sat-nav in his nice shiny new car broke ;-) and they are now consulting HQ in Germany.

Will let you know what they say when the numbers come in....

Cheers,
Dan.

Well I don't think it was repaired to be honest Clive....I think they tried to use that as a first cop-out! The only previous owner says it wasn't repaired as MB have called them - so it comes down to their second statement of "paint is too thin all over" - that's why they got MB UK to come and inspect (ironically, the chap came from Milton Keynes and got lost coming to Cambridge as the sat-nav in his nice shiny new car broke ;-) and they are now consulting HQ in Germany.

Will let you know what they say when the numbers come in....

Cheers,
Dan.

Moral of story. Don't trust the car mfr to have a clue. It did have an accident and was repaired at the MB bodyshop in Epping. It was done through the dealer and MB don't keep ANY records about bodywork repairs warranty or otherwise. They didn't speak to the former owner (but I did!) and they put me in touch with the body-shop who have it booked in for 5-Sept to sort it out - no problem at all....

So, really impressed at the body shop who told me what was done, and that they didn't do any paint in that area just it was marked on the report as the "general area" - and are more than happy to resolve the problem....

Not impressed at MB for not having records, selling an approved used car with a full warranty and the copping out of it at the first opportunity (basically unless you have contact with all the previous owners, they are going to deny a paintwork claim!) making that warranty on the bodywork basically worthless....

Hey ho...

D.

Hi all,

Hi there,I am a silver surfer and this is the first time I have used the forum to ask a question.
I have had from new a 02 C class coupe.It has developed bad rusting around the front wheel arches.Do you think MB will fix this for me.?
The car has not been involved in any accidents and the problem seems to stem from the original manufacture.The car has only done 46,000 miles and has always been serviced by my competent son who follows in every detail the manufacturers service requirements.

Hi there,I am a silver surfer and this is the first time I have used the forum to ask a question.
I have had from new a 02 C class coupe.It has developed bad rusting around the front wheel arches.Do you think MB will fix this for me.?
The car has not been involved in any accidents and the problem seems to stem from the original manufacture.The car has only done 46,000 miles and has always been serviced by my competent son who follows in every detail the manufacturers service requirements.

Depends on the dealer you go to and if they are willing to do any paint or rust repair work under warranty all you can do is ask them the deciding factor is in their hands I am afraid :confused:

Hello,

Glad I found this post - Could do with some decent advice . I've bought a w208 - front wings are in need of repair (first).*I think they've had rust converter put on and then sprayed over (no sanding).

On a tiny budget so wondered if you could advise on products to use or if these products would produce a reasonable result:
I have a grinder + wire brush attachment or should i use a disc?*(Or brush on drill -not as brutal)
Hammerite kurust - any good?
Then Upol p38

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks*

If anyone is interested I will give up to date advice and be willing to answer
any questions on rust related problems plus the best possible cure.

cklclive

hi Clive

i have recently bought ML270 cdi. the upper body is in good condition but the there is so much rust under this ml. can you please give me best advise what do i do.
and things i need to buy and where from i can buy them

thanks

Glad I found this, I have recently bought a w202 1998 C180 with a couple of bits of rust. The area around the boot lock is rusty with flaking paint and there is a rust bubble the size of a 10p coin on the drivers door. Any tips for getting them tidied up? Not wanting to spend a lot as I didn't pay too much for the car in the first place.

Thanks in advance

hi Clive

i have recently bought ML270 cdi. the upper body is in good condition but the there is so much rust under this ml. can you please give me best advise what do i do.

thanks

hi Clive

thanks

Hi, ok under body protection as follows remove any loose flakey rust with a good wire brush and treat with Bilt Hamber UB waxoil it will stop any further corrosion and last you can find details on there website

Regards

Clive

Glad I found this, I have recently bought a w202 1998 C180 with a couple of bits of rust. The area around the boot lock is rusty with flaking paint and there is a rust bubble the size of a 10p coin on the drivers door. Any tips for getting them tidied up? Not wanting to spend a lot as I didn't pay too much for the car in the first place.

Thanks in advance

Hi, only way to treat and stop this would be to use rust treat process
that I have detailed in my thread project 1999 clk if you need anymore info contact me

Clive

Hi clive,

what products do you reccomend for repairing rust/bubbling, eg acid wash, and you mentioned using epoxy anti corrosive primer, whats your reccomendation as to make?

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom