Rust Repair - Mercedes have agreed to pay for work as warranty!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
Well I've just had a phone call from the MB authorised body shop and I am totally bowled over :crazy: :crazy: :bannana:

I've had a patch of rust breaking out on the rear near-side wheel arch. The small lip section of bodywork that bends round and is facing the rear tyres (blurry pics to follow). I decided about 6 weeks back to get various estimates for erradicating the rust and a full respray/repair. I went to a few local bodyshops and just out of interest I thought I'd get a quote from MB too.

All the local paint sprayers wanted between £100 to £150 for the repair. The MB bodyshop said straight away that "this looks like a warranty repair to us, would you let us pursue MB for a claim?" I said "Sure but I don't want to be waiting months while this is progressing, as the rust is getting worse as time marches on. I also want a quote for the repair if MB decline the warranty work application." Heh I also said "Don't hold your breath as I know of many cases where the rust issue seems clear-cut and MB have still turned down the application stating that they are not at fault for said rust".

In the end the MB bodyshop quoted approx £220 ex VAT for the repair. However, I was just soooo sure that MB would turn my application down like so many others, I mean my car is 5 years old (registered March 1998), technically the car is not covered by the Mobilo Life, 30 year anti-perforation warranty (that didn't come into force until Sept 98) even though my car has the Mobilo sticker just above the tax disc.

So today I get the call... MB have agreed to pay all costs covering the rust repair :eek: :rock: The car is booked in for next Monday morning :D and I even get a courtesy car! Blimey :devil:

I'm just still totally in a state of disbelief :rolleyes:

S.

Great result Steve.

How long was the rust warranty before the Mobilo Life, 30 year anti-perforation warranty came into effect? Any ideas?

My wife's 97 C180 Esprit Est has a small patch starting around the offside rear window - maybe worth looking into!

Cheers
OG

Originally posted by OGiii
Great result Steve.

How long was the rust warranty before the Mobilo Life, 30 year anti-perforation warranty came into effect? Any ideas?

My wife's 97 C180 Esprit Est has a small patch starting around the offside rear window - maybe worth looking into!

Cheers
OG

I haven't a clue!! Maybe someone else might know the answer to that question.

Certainly worth getting your dealer to investigate warranty repair, what's the worst that could happen? MB say "No". Also better to get rust treated ASAP rather than later because it soon spreads relatively quickly once it has broken out, certainly on the more modern cars with water based paints.

S.

I was told that prior to the 30yr warranty, it was only 1yr. I argued that they hadnt changed the rust proofing on cars with either 1yr or 30yr, so how can they disclaim my warranty.

Oh and it pays to know who to write to at MBUK I also included some copies of this and other forums stating that a number of people were waiting and watching for the outcome.

Like Steve they also agreed to pay for all my repairs and that was on a June 97 car.

well done steve, not a common outcome but hey you found someone good in the bodyshop who had the customer at heart!

Good to hear that MB will sort it out.

What are my chances on the area on the tailgate aound the catch. No way could it have been caused by a stone chip.

Guess I had better call in and ask them what they think.

Originally posted by Paul
Oh and it pays to know who to write to at MBUK.....

Pray tell Paul:)

Well what an experience!! Just been to my local stealer, I was there for fifty minutes.....mostly waiting.:mad:

They submitted a corrosion warranty claim to MB, at first the bloke said "what do you expect for an R-reg car":confused: Then when he saw the area of rust and admitted it was a common problem with these models he would try it, but said that they either say yes or no immediately but was very surprised when MB said they would look into it in more detail. He said he would call me later today.

Incidentally whilst I was waiting I had a chat with the parts guy about all the parts I would need for a gearbox oil change. At first he was being helpful and looking up the various parts and then went to have a word with the service manager, he came back and said that these parts are workshop only parts and cannot be sold to the public!! I explained that I was in the trade and he said OK and started to give me the prices:

Dipstick seal: £4.56
ATF: £7.19 per litre
Dipstick type tool: Not available to the public:crazy:

The workshop manager then cam to the counter and explained that these gearboxes are filled for life and never need attention unless faulty. I tried to reason with him that it would be a good idea to change the fluid to prevent faults occuring. "No sir, we do not recommend changing the ATF and the parts are not available to buy"...........so there you have it.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
... (blurry pics to follow) ...

Here are said piccies:
NSR_rust1_04Aug03.jpg

NSR_rust2_04Aug03.jpg

NSR_rust3_04Aug03.jpg

By way of comparison, the other clean wheel arch on the opposite side of the car:

OSR_norust1_04Aug03.jpg

OSR_norust2_04Aug03.jpg

I'm just glad it's all finally getting sorted. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get it sorted any earlier because work kept sending me away on business :rolleyes: :(

S.

Just a minor update... The car went in this morning, and they stated that they may need the car for 5 to 6 days, I hope I get the car back this coming weekend or probably more lilkely beginning of next week.

And my courtesy car? Hehe a VW Polo, no a/c :( , windy-uppy windows and I have to start using my left foot and left arm again :p Still better than nothing :) There was a brand new VW Golf R32 there and a plethora of TT's, heehee I did ask for one of those but was met with polite laughter. :D

The customer service was excellent during the visit this morning, big thumbs up to Gary at Sinclair's Body Shop Swansea, who service VW, Audi & MB's.

I still can't believe it really and I'm still paranoid that something's going to go wrong :p :D :eek:

More news as I get it, for those interested in my experiences.

*EDIT* Arrgh!! I popped out lunchtime, not having a/c is gonna be a major bummer in this current spell of weather. :( I guess you don't miss the luxuries until you have to do without them :crazy: :devil:

S. (Hot and sticky)

Last edited:
Well it's a day later and I've got my car back :crazy: :rock:

Words fail me...

I got a call at 4pm this afternoon to say that my car was ready for collection and by 5pm I had got my car back :devil: I'm very impressed with the job, and even better the repair is guaranteed for 2 years :eek:

The only very slight fly in the ointment was that yesterday they gave me the impression the job was going to take the better part of a week to process, so I filled up the courtesy car with £26 quids worth of petrol :rolleyes: I mentioned this to them and they promptly put in approx £20 quids worth of petrol into my car out of goodwill. You can't say fairer than that. The level of service by the bodyshop dept was better than perfect, I couldn't fault it at all.

Some pics of the repair...

NSR_rust_repair1_12Aug03.jpg

NSR_rust_repair2_12Aug03.jpg

NSR_rust_repair3_12Aug03.jpg

Needless to say I am one real happy bunny tonight :) I'm even tempted to write a thank-you letter to MB HQ but maybe that might be going a little bit too far eh? ;) It just goes to show that not all stealerships are heartless b@$tards, dodging their responsibilities at every opportunity.

**BEAM**

S.

Nice job, did they polish your tyres too.:D

No such luck for me, the dealer submitted the claim twice under different codes but MB refused. I rang MB MK and basically was told "what do you expect from an R reg car!!!":devil:

Would it be worth me writing to MB HQ? Anybody know the address or even who to write to?

Originally posted by jimmy
Nice job, did they polish your tyres too.:D

I thought that too :D The tyre walls look as though they've had some gel on them to bring them back to black. I also couldn't understand why my front passenger seat was moved all the way back and the seat reclined :crazy: Oh well :confused: Heh maybe some spotty kid decided to have a good time with one of the secretaries at my cars expense :rolleyes: :D

No such luck for me, the dealer submitted the claim twice under different codes but MB refused. I rang MB MK and basically was told "what do you expect from an R reg car!!!" :devil:

:confused: Umm my car's an 'R' reg too, March '98 infact. I've said this in Greg240's thread and I'll say it again I really don't understand the complete lack of consistency in attitude between different dealers within the MB network ?!?! The local dealer here really went out of their way to help me, to the extent that my thoughts were "Yeah go for it if you want but it's never gonna happen" I didn't push for the warranty claim at all, the dealer just took care of it.

Would it be worth me writing to MB HQ? Anybody know the address or even who to write to?

I guess so, it couldn't hurt to write to them and tell them of their mixed dealer network... I don't know details but it looks like Paul knows who to contact reading further up the thread, maybe worth PM'img Paul. Or failing that Jimmy, bring your car to Swansea :p

S.

Last edited:
Jimmy

Did you phone "Customer Services" at MBUK. My first claim was rejected by the warranty department when the car was 2 years old. Needless to say I phoned customer services and was very firm. The lady asked where the car was (at the dealer). When I went to collect the car MB had requested a paint check and authorised the repair.

Rust around the boot lock is a known problem and comes through from the inside. It will have been forming for some while so even if the car is older than six years it should be possible to demonstrate that the rust was there before the warranty was over.

Ps. I didn't have any problems buying a gearbox dipstick. I don't know if I can come on Saturday but if I can I'll bring it along, you can borrow it.

Originally posted by Dieselman
Jimmy

Did you phone "Customer Services" at MBUK. My first claim was rejected by the warranty department when the car was 2 years old. Needless to say I phoned customer services and was very firm. The lady asked where the car was (at the dealer). When I went to collect the car MB had requested a paint check and authorised the repair.

Rust around the boot lock is a known problem and comes through from the inside. It will have been forming for some while so even if the car is older than six years it should be possible to demonstrate that the rust was there before the warranty was over.

Ps. I didn't have any problems buying a gearbox dipstick. I don't know if I can come on Saturday but if I can I'll bring it along, you can borrow it.

Yes I spoke to a nice lady at MBUK Customer Services she was helpful but basically said I had no chance as the car is so old being an R-reg!!

The dealer agreed 100% with me, the rust is a fault not caused by any external element such as a stone chip, there is rust around the boot handle and around the boot trim above the number plate. Nothing too bad but I would like it sorted.

Is the gearbox level tool suitable for a C-class then? Have you ever changed the fluid? Is there a filter? So many questions but I would like to do this myself and would like some more info.

Yes I spoke to a nice lady at MBUK Customer Services she was helpful but basically said I had no chance as the car is so old being an R-reg!!

Which begs the question...why was my car sorted without one query??? :confused: They really need to get singing from the same hymn sheet at Milton Keynes. :mad: Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled at the treatment I've received but I feel bad for others when what seems to be similar problems are just flatly refused.

The dealer agreed 100% with me, the rust is a fault not caused by any external element such as a stone chip, there is rust around the boot handle and around the boot trim above the number plate. Nothing too bad but I would like it sorted.

I'd stick with it Jimmy, from what I've read those are all known problem areas and if the dealer is in agreement that yours is a valid warranty claim then I can't see why MB UK have a problem. Just out of interest does one dept at MB UK deal with the entire UK warranty claims? Also I wonder how many different people deal with dealer requests for customer claims.

Is the gearbox level tool suitable for a C-class then? Have you ever changed the fluid? Is there a filter? So many questions but I would like to do this myself and would like some more info.

I believe the one dipstick covers the entire MB model range, it's got loads of different marks engraved on the side of it. I'm afraid I don't know the details of the oil change but I'm pretty sure there is a filter involved too, though this is cleaned/flushed? Heh best wait for someone who knows 100% what they are talking about :p

S.

Last edited:
I'm here!;)

There is a filter and it is advisable to change the rubber gasket as well to ensure no leaks.
The dipstick is universal for all 722.6 5 speed autos and is a service item only, you cannot drive with the dipstick in the box.

The box need 7.5 litres of oil and I would recommend using MB oil as auto boxes are fickle to the modifiers in the fluid, which is actually kerosene based.

I have changed my oil as I believe it really should be done at about 60k for logevity.

It's dead eay to do but you need the car in the air (no excuses for you Jimmy).
Drain the converter first as it will hold more oil than the box but drain into a bucket as a drain can wont be large enough.

Drain TC, drain sump, sump off (expect spillage as there is residual fluid), filter off, new filter on, fit sump with new seal, fit drain plugs, refill through dipstick tube, run engine and cycle through all gears check levels when oil hot.

You have convinced me to give it a go when I have the time, just need to get all the bits together. You need a new tamper evident seal too for the dipstick tube dont you?

Why?

The dealer didn't fit one after they removed the one from my car at two years old.

Originally posted by Dieselman
Why?

The dealer didn't fit one after they removed the one from my car at two years old.

I thought it was a thing that you had to break to remove and replace with a new one, not looked too closely yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom