Rust treatment product

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hygt2

Car
2003 S320L CDI
Hello all,

I recalled that there is a rust treatment product where you clear away the loose rust and apply the stuff.

30 minutes later the remaining rust became black and stuff seals the surface to prevent further rust. What is it called and is it still on sale?

Many thanks,
Garrison

Hello all,

I recalled that there is a rust treatment product where you clear away the loose rust and apply the stuff.

30 minutes later the remaining rust became black and stuff seals the surface to prevent further rust. What is it called and is it still on sale?

Many thanks,
Garrison

I hope this link helps (see item 2 from K.R Jackson, Kent, United Kingdom):

http://www2.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgbbs&mode=archiveth&archiveyear=71_2005.dat&access=41768523703060&subject=71&subjectar=71&source=T&thread=2005050210250913424

One is called KURUST, they sell it in most halfords and local motor shops. Carefull as it alos turns your hands black as well!!

Hammerite do theie own one which is a gel which is eseful for the vertical bits.

Lynall

jenolite is also very good. i've used it on the SL restoration.

Hello all,

Many thanks,
Garrison

You might be thinking of this stuff:

DINITROL RC 900 RUST CONVERTER AEROSOL

It was mentioned in a Classic Car magazine not long ago and I've just bought some from Ebay. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I found the dinitrol (I bought it as 'dinitrol 33B') excellent, but could not find it a few years ago. It was brown, a bit like an oily film, but persistent. Glad it is back on the market. Hammerite products excellent. Tried Kurust years and years ago: I was not impressed. Jenolite seemed OK on new metal, but somehow I did not take to it.

Well I used KURUST inside my Bonnet where there was some bits of rust appearing, its turned it black and also my hands black. NEITHER the bonnet or my hands have ANY signs of rust, what more proof doyou need.

...or my hands have ANY signs of rust, what more proof do you need.
A control sample of course - anyone have a pair of untreated hands that have gone rusty. :D

A control sample of course - anyone have a pair of untreated hands that have gone rusty. :D

Actually I have,, my Nan's hands went rusty and yellow and she never was treated with Kurust. Mind you, I accept is could possibly have been to 60 Benson&Hedges a day she smoked.

But isn't Kurust made by Hammerite? The Hammerite website certainly seems to think so! ;)

Go to:
http://www.hammerite-automotive.com/

Click on the leftmost tab "Metal preparation" and there it is, Kurust.

I never thought to look: I bought the Kurust years ago (in the 60's), and never bought it again! In those days I had not discovered Hammerite. I must try it again, particularly as the E class has the rust problems in abundance, and Mercedes are not helpful (but sometimes are, it must be said, from what I have read elsewhere: the dealership seems to be the common thread).

Thanks for the information!

Use of Kurust

I used Kurust on my first car - a 1986 Maestro - they rusted lots:D mine wasnt too bad though - the few spots i did have i treated with kurust and over the remaining years of the cars life they never rusted again (approx 5 years) i also regularly underseal every car i have - I have also strtipped a Claibra and painted the floors inside and out with Hammerite - it never rusted either - lots of products to use - just get the surface smooth first!
Unfortunately my CLK is rusting at 7.5 years old - going to try my luck with the dealer! :rolleyes:

I used Kurust on my first car - a 1986 Maestro - they rusted lots:D mine wasnt too bad though - the few spots i did have i treated with kurust and over the remaining years of the cars life they never rusted again (approx 5 years) i also regularly underseal every car i have - I have also strtipped a Claibra and painted the floors inside and out with Hammerite - it never rusted either - lots of products to use - just get the surface smooth first!
Unfortunately my CLK is rusting at 7.5 years old - going to try my luck with the dealer! :rolleyes:
Be quick. I have the warranty manual if you wish me to email it to you. Make certain the dealer does all the correct paperwork and takes pics etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom