Rust... Whats the normal procedure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
Hi guys,

Right i've had my 202 for over a year now and all in all i'm extremely impressed about the condition of its bodywork compared to my old car.

I carried out a really thorough check all round the car today, and i've spotted a few things;

1. Battery tray had an acid spill a while back and now its become slightly covered in rust.
2. Rear passenger side wheelarch has the most minute bubble developing, it can probably last for another 2-3 years before it becomes an issue.
3. Bootlock has like half a millimeter of paint that has flaked off (very tiny) and underneath this i can see a bit of rust. I'm guessing this will develop if the water gets underneath it.

I want to treat these in the most professional way possible. Was thinking of sanding them right down to the bone and the respraying?

I was thinking of also possibly sanding down the metal under the wheelarches (where it isn't visible) and maybe putting some underseal? or waxoyl? or hammerite?

was also thinking about hammerite for the battery tray?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions and if anyone could share past experience with treating a similar problem.

Thanks guys,

Adam

Google bilt hamber i think thats how its spelt!

Lynall

POR-15's good if messy to use, goes over rust happily - remove loose stuff as usual, wire brush or whatever suits. Doesn't like smooth metal - needs something to bite on. Can't remember now but got a feeling if it's to be topcoated, it needs it's special primer - could be wrong there though.
Or zinc primer, then normal primer + topcoat maybe. Depends how bad it is and how smooth a finish you want. On the external stuff, if it's a metallic, any touch-up will be probably be visible.

Going to try Eastwoods 'Rust Encapsulator' primer on mine when I do my sills, and then primer and top-coat over that.

Bilt-Hamber stuff is excellent at rust removal; there's a water-soluble powder for soaking, and a gel for when soaking's not poss. I use the gel, it really does a good job but needs 24hrs covered in plastic wrap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom