Rusting brake lines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

After Shock

Car
E320 CDI 320 Estate. AMG wheels
After the E320 on a 55 plate was serviced yesterday it was showing rusty brake lines on the rear.

So a 9 year old car where there is a plastic protection guard underneath.

Wouldn't have shown up if the one plastic guard wasn't slightly loose.

Normal or should I be disappointed?

Quite normal at the rear, the pipes are only under cover to a degree, they are exposed at the point where they pass around the suspension to connect to the flexible lines to the calipers.

My neighbours E class required new rear pipes at 10 years old, my C class also had the rear pipes replaced last month, also at 10 years old.

The E class is a little easier in terms of access according to my indie, on my car he dropped the exhaust and lowered the fuel tank for clearance. Parts were only £33 put with 8.5 hours labour it cost £599.99 !

MB are not alone in this, a friends BMW 3 series also required new brake pipes at a similar age.

Quite normal at the rear, the pipes are only under cover to a degree, they are exposed at the point where they pass around the suspension to connect to the flexible lines to the calipers.

My neighbours E class required new rear pipes at 10 years old, my C class also had the rear pipes replaced last month, also at 10 years old.

The E class is a little easier in terms of access according to my indie, on my car he dropped the exhaust and lowered the fuel tank for clearance. Parts were only £33 put with 8.5 hours labour it cost £599.99 !

MB are not alone in this, a friends BMW 3 series also required new brake pipes at a similar age.

Geeez......Thanks for that. Hopefully the garage I use will do it a tad cheaper!

I'm also looking at new pads and discs at the same time on the front!

Actually it just clicked .... £75 an Hour!

Last edited:
Geeez......Thanks for that. Hopefully the garage I use will do it a tad cheaper!

I'm also looking at new pads and discs at the same time on the front!

Actually it just clicked .... £75 an Hour!

£75 per hour?

My indie charges £55 per hour.

I had an advisory from MB a while back for 3 rusty brake pipes and was quoted £960. I got an Indy to brush them down and grease them as he said they were fine. It must have been magic grease as when it was serviced two years later the MB dealer gave and advisory for 2 brake lines!

I had an advisory from MB a while back for 3 rusty brake pipes and was quoted £960. I got an Indy to brush them down and grease them as he said they were fine. It must have been magic grease as when it was serviced two years later the MB dealer gave and advisory for 2 brake lines!

You will probably get away with this if the corrosion is only superficial, I had advisories for two years before an MOT failure.. When the pipes were replaced the corrosion was quite extensive, parts of the pipe were flaking off.

I believe the MB book time for the C class brake pipe replacement is around 9 hours., the E is a little more straightforward, my neighbours car cost circa £450.

I rustproofed my brake pipes, but they still rusted under the support clamps, deciding to leak at an awkward moment...when Mrs Dm was coming to pick me up from hospital.

I rustproofed my brake pipes, but they still rusted under the support clamps, deciding to leak at an awkward moment...when Mrs Dm was coming to pick me up from hospital.

The same thing recently happened to my fuel lines. I found them weeping from just about every support clamp. The rubber acts as a salt and dirt trap.
I replaced all the line with cupro-nickel.

I'll update this in six months when mine get sorted. They aren't to bad yet but need attention.

Copper-nickel seamless tube has been available for 40 years (to my knowledge) for vehicle brake and fuel lines.
Once fitted, it can be guaranteed against corrosion for the life of the vehicle.
I used to inspect it when I worked at IMI.
How many vehicle builders have fitted it as original equipment ?
Volvo ... and ... That's about it actually.
:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom