Rusting dipstick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash1212002

Car
W204 c250 cgi facelift petrol 2011
Was carrying out an oil service via the Pela oil pump and noticed the dipstick has rusted significantly to the point where I found remnants of rust particles stuck at the bottom of the dipstick and within the dipstick oil chamber!

I'm now concerned some of the particles may now be circulating around the engine and sump etc

I wouldn't have expected the dipstick to rust to this extent, the vehicle is a 2011 43k c250 cgi petrol saloon

Will be looking to replace asap

Something to be mindful of for other owners to check the condition of their oil dipsticks

Has anyone come across this?

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_123639.jpg
    IMG_20200524_123639.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20200524_123648.jpg
    IMG_20200524_123648.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 53
My car (and many other MB's) does not have a dipstick, the dipstick tube has a cap on it. Why not buy a cap and leave your dipstick out of the engine ? The rust is more likely from any moisture (water vapour) in your engine that has 'boiled off :dk:

Any rust particles will be trapped in the oil filter, that's what it's for... when is the next service due?

At any rate, the main risk for your M271 engine if from premature timing gear failure... not from rust particles circulating in the oil. I wouldn't worry too much about it. But it may be prudent to change the oil and filter.

Any rust particles will be trapped in the oil filter, that's what it's for... when is the next service due?

I've changed the oil and filter today, so next one will be in a year's time

My car (and many other MB's) does not have a dipstick, the dipstick tube has a cap on it. Why not buy a cap and leave your dipstick out of the engine ? The rust is more likely from any moisture (water vapour) in your engine that has 'boiled off :dk:

May do that, you got a link as to where i can purchase the cap from?

Next time drain the oil
Very few dealerships/workshops do this nowadays, what with all the under-trays ets.
Removing the oil by suction is just as effective, except with the few saddle sumps on AMG models...

Very few dealerships/workshops do this nowadays, what with all the under-trays ets.
Removing the oil by suction is just as effective, except with the few saddle sumps on AMG models...

I get it, but in this case, you should drain it

Me? I think I may be a little too far removed to be of help, plus social distancing and all that... I'll give it a miss this time ;)

My apologies, i meant to say the OP who indicated that he's using a pump to siphon the oil. If he's concerned about rust in the pan, draining the oil should take care of it.

May do that, you got a link as to where i can purchase the cap from?
Not sure as it is a stock part on many MB cars , I suppose its down to the internal diameter of the tube, you would hope they would all be the same , but seeing as MB have fitted different types of tube (or deleted it completely) from what is essentially the same engine it's anyone guess, sorry.

As mentioned earlier, I was expecting a different slant to the title of this thread. Would make very useful non swear words to use in front of children in these lockdown times!

Petrol in the oil of the M271 with CGI direct injection is a known problem. It may not be significant at a mechanical level but with the higher alcohol content of todays petrol there may mean a greater propensity to accumulate water in the sump?
Is the dipstick an original MB part or after market?

Petrol in the oil of the M271 with CGI direct injection is a known problem. It may not be significant at a mechanical level but with the higher alcohol content of todays petrol there may mean a greater propensity to accumulate water in the sump?
Is the dipstick an original MB part or after market?

As far as I am aware its an original MB part

As far as I am aware its an original MB part
If it is MB it may have a part no on it - maybe on the ring handle?
new-genuine-mercedes-benz-mb-c-class-w204-oil-dipstick-measurer-a2710108001.jpg

the orginal part A2710101272 was replaced with A2710108001

If it is MB it may have a part no on it - maybe on the ring handle?
new-genuine-mercedes-benz-mb-c-class-w204-oil-dipstick-measurer-a2710108001.jpg

the orginal part A2710101272 was replaced with A2710108001

On the handle it states A27112

Normally a part no would have more numbers but if its a "shorthand" it would be the first number the new one would be A27180 ??

Normally a part no would have more numbers but if its a "shorthand" it would be the first number the new one would be A27180 ??

I would have thought so too, that's the only number present on top of the ring of the dipstick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom