Rusty Brake Calipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ralph

Car
CLK320 W209
Are very rusty brake calipers a fair warrantee claim?

I had the discs on my Lexus changed under warranty as they were corroding around the hub. Might be worth a go asking the dealer.

Have repeatedly challenged them, but they refuse.
Don't they look great, boldly on display!

Attachments

• Rusty Brakes (Small).JPG
    Rusty Brakes (Small).JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 74
Only think I would suggest is carefully paint with phosphoric acid (or Coke) and then apply a high temp brake paint.

That looks terrible. Almost like the surface of the coating was breached and the rust took hold. Very poor.

Argue. Argue. Argue.

Have you used 'wonder wheels' or other acidic wheel cleaners at all?

Only car shampoo and a pressure washer, but I bought the car 2nd hand from Greenoaks 18 months ago. Rust has developed since then. Two are OK/passable, One is partly rusty and then there is the one above.

I had similar problem with mine, also affecting the "hub" part of the disc itself. Complaints to MB fell on deaf ears (cf. rusty wheelbolts).

I got the trusty wire brush out and after 15 minutes rigourous brushing applied some Halfords brake cleaner (simply sprayed on and left to drip off onto rag). Halfords black gloss VHT paint was then carefully applied. Looks loads better, but needs at least two coats. I gave mine two coats, but you can still see some orange, so a third will be applied shortly.

They do it in silver also (to match OEM), but I think the black looks great. Or you could paint them blue ... or red ... or lime green :cool:

Ralph said:
Only car shampoo and a pressure washer, but I bought the car 2nd hand from Greenoaks 18 months ago. Rust has developed since then. Two are OK/passable, One is partly rusty and then there is the one above.

Good old Greenoaks.... :rolleyes:

For some reason MB calipers seem to corrode at the slightest whiff of acid cleaners. The painted calipers are better. Other that change the calipers for new or recon units or paint them as Andrew has suggested, I don't know what you can do. What year is the car? If it is less than 3 years old I would be seriously shouting at a dealer or MB.

6months warrantee left. Started rusting after 18 months. MB DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom