Rusty Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm glad to report that after some 1200 miles in the past 9 days, my condition is no longer 'rusty'. Since the easing of lockdown I have had to make several long journeys and been able to brush up on my driving skills. My observation, anticipation and fluency have all returned to a level I am now happy with.
Practice may not make perfect, but it certainly seems to get you a lot closer than I was 2 weeks ago.
Yesterday I had a 420 mile round trip to Wales. On the return leg I actually managed a 150 mile stretch in moderate traffic without the use of brakes, or breaking the law! The latest iteration of the A14 around Huntingdon and Cambridge have made this possible.
In 216 miles I made 16 brake applications ( I'm sad enough to have counted!) and had an average speed of 62mph. Brakes were only used for road junctions and roundabouts. I managed to anticipate all other traffic movements without resort to the middle pedal.
Sounds like the figures you might expect to get on 2 wheels, but I was in a vehicle more used to carrying motorcycles, my son's VW Crafter race van :eek:
It's a very close relative of the Mercedes Sprinter, well known as one of the very fastest vehicles on the road......

Rusty drivers are not limited to lockdown, we have a large number of 'retired folks' around here that get the car out once a week and drive 6 miles to the supermarket - at a scarily wobbly 30-40mph in a 60 limit and always cut across blind right hand corners.

Rusty drivers are not limited to lockdown, we have a large number of 'retired folks' around here that get the car out once a week and drive 6 miles....
I know! I am one.....or at least I have been in lockdown!
I always assume that drivers in Norfolk will be in the middle of the road, it's the only way to avoid the grass in the middle of most of our roads.:rolleyes:

Rusty drivers are not limited to lockdown, we have a large number of 'retired folks' around here that get the car out once a week and drive 6 miles to the supermarket

That sounds like me except I've been using the car only once every two weeks for the big supermarket shop. If I was rusty a 200 mile trip to York over Easter has exercised both me and the car so I'm back to normal.

Of far more concern is being rusty when riding a motorcycle which I've done for 50 years on and off. Riding again after an off is risky so I've commuted right through the winter on the bike for the last 14 years. Some days I would set out and think this was a mistake with very little grip on local untreated roads but it concentrates the mind wonderfully and I've never dropped it. Having recently retired the need for winter riding is no longer there yet I've still manged to ride a couple of days each month to keep my hand in and at least now I can pick days that avoid the salt and wet.

Of far more concern is being rusty when riding a motorcycle which I've done for 50 years on and off. Riding again after an off is risky so I've commuted right through the winter on the bike for the last 14 years. Some days I would set out and think this was a mistake with very little grip on local untreated roads but it concentrates the mind wonderfully and I've never dropped it. Having recently retired the need for winter riding is no longer there yet I've still manged to ride a couple of days each month to keep my hand in and at least now I can pick days that avoid the salt and wet.
I know what you mean! I picked up my current bike in the snow of a January in Macclsefied and took it it's MOT in the snow again this year.
Like you, I can now choose when I ride the bike and I'm less keen on cold and wet, not so much because I can't cope with the conditions, but the amount of cleaning it entails!
Practice in all types of skills is required to retain a good level of performance, just ask a musician.

I'm glad to report that after some 1200 miles in the past 9 days, my condition is no longer 'rusty'. Since the easing of lockdown I have had to make several long journeys and been able to brush up on my driving skills. My observation, anticipation and fluency have all returned to a level I am now happy with.
Practice may not make perfect, but it certainly seems to get you a lot closer than I was 2 weeks ago.

I would concur with this experience.

I didn't do any long journeys by car over the autumn - and very limited local driving. This combined lack took its toll.

I found I had to accumulate several hours of driving when I resumed doing long trips in January to get back to a level of 'comfort' on maintaining situational awareness and anticipation.

Work in construction on a lot of critical projects so have not stopped at all apart from 4 weeks last year when I isolated with Covid, so am still doing roughly 1000 miles a week and the biggest thing I have noticed is the amount of young tear aways who seem to be emerging with 200+bhp cars after the lock down who frankly shouldn't be allowed anywhere near them, there should be a limit to the HP you can have until you have driven for a minimum 3 years, have also noticed standards in general have fallen badly, am so used to empty roads the increased traffic is a real PITA as well....lockdown had its good sides!

Work in construction on a lot of critical projects so have not stopped at all apart from 4 weeks last year when I isolated with Covid, so am still doing roughly 1000 miles a week and the biggest thing I have noticed is the amount of young tear aways who seem to be emerging with 200+bhp cars after the lock down who frankly shouldn't be allowed anywhere near them, there should be a limit to the HP you can have until you have driven for a minimum 3 years, have also noticed standards in general have fallen badly, am so used to empty roads the increased traffic is a real PITA as well....lockdown had its good sides!
No consolation, but it's not just you: round these here parts it's a Golf R or BMW M3 that appears to be the weapon of choice for Richard Cranium and his mates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom