Rusty rear calipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
The front calipers on my 2003 C32 AMG has the usual glossy silver paint finish, and look great. The rears have turned bronze with rust and look really awful.

I asked my dealer to take a look whilst it was with them on Friday (for a new intercooler pump) and said the calipers aren't painted and so they would expect the rust, and suggested that I repaint them.

In my view they're not acceptable and plan to take it further.

Anyone else had the same problem? Managed to get a replacement under warranty? Or are yours still looking good? All comments appreciated.

Perhaps a picture would make it clearer, but I'm not sure I can agree there is a problem.

Some surface colouration is bound to occur, I very much doubt your caliper is actually corroding.

Perhaps a picture would make it clearer, but I'm not sure I can agree there is a problem.

Some surface colouration is bound to occur, I very much doubt your caliper is actually corroding.

It's a little dark for a pic but I plan to take one tomorrow in sunlight. I'll be sure to post to get concensus.

It just looks bad, much worse than any other car I've owned. The ML isn't that much newer and the calipers look fine!!

My calipers have some discoloration which is why I want to paint them ;) They are not corroding though.

The light corrosion you mention is very common on all MB calipers. Most people are not botherd by it. When I worked at a main dealer we had a few customers complain about your exact problem so we used to paint them black with heat resistant paint. The dealer used to cover the cost just to stop the customer moaning. Not saying that you are though

The light corrosion you mention is very common on all MB calipers. Most people are not botherd by it. When I worked at a main dealer we had a few customers complain about your exact problem so we used to paint them black with heat resistant paint. The dealer used to cover the cost just to stop the customer moaning. Not saying that you are though
Interesting to hear that. I'll post some pics tomorrow so if you can offer a view based on what you saw back at the dealer I'd appreciate it.

BTW I am moaning. :D I haven't moaned to the dealer as yet, but I probably will!! I expect discolouration, but they're beyond that IMHO.

Rust on brake parts is quite normal really, especially on a car approaching 4 years old. A saturday afternoon with a wire brush and a careful application of hammerite will sort the calipers out.

Or, powdercoated:D :rolleyes:

100_0545.jpg

They look great Ian. Did you do them?

Normal for calipers to rust as they are unpainted cast iron.The rate of corrosion depends on the conditions the vehicle is operating in and where it is stored (garage or outside )Some wheel styles display the calipers more than others so if you can see them you could have them painted to improve their appearance.

They look great Ian. Did you do them?
A Company I discovered recently (in Preston) does them for me, along with anything else I throw at them. Taking a set of wheels in there next week, seen what they can do to them and how they come out, awesome.

A Company I discovered recently (in Preston) does them for me, along with anything else I throw at them. Taking a set of wheels in there next week, seen what they can do to them and how they come out, awesome.

I'm sure they'll soon get fed up of you if you keep throwing car parts at them!

Let me know how those wheels turn out, I still need to get my AMGs sorted out.

As per request from bobby heres a few pics of my rear calipers, they look bloody awful compared to the fronts.

Last edited:
Look similar to mine. I'll try and take a pic to compare - avoiding the slight curbing!!:eek:

eta

caliperfront.jpg

Last edited:
Here are mine. What do you guys think, par for the course, or worth trying my luck whilst under warranty?

View attachment 6603

Last edited:
That type of corrosion you both have is normal and it is unlikely that the dealer will do anyting about it. Remove the caliper yourself and paint it. Its so easy and will save you the hassle of the main dealer.

Wheel bolts also rust too so i used to paint them with clear laquer to help slow the corrosion process down. It was just litttle extras we used to do to keep the customers happy and for them to not keep coming back and having a moan.

Thanks BlackC55 - I appreciate your comments.

I'm really reluctant to paint them, but it looks like I'll have to. I'll see if I can get some prices on new calipers...

Thanks BlackC55 - I appreciate your comments.

I'm really reluctant to paint them, but it looks like I'll have to. I'll see if I can get some prices on new calipers...

I don't want to put a downer on things but even if you buy new calipers, they'll look the same eventually unless you paint them before fitting. It'd be a bit of a waste to junk a pair of perfectly serviceable calipers for cosmetic reasons.

I'm going to be painting my calipers (silver) when I get my AMG wheels sorted and fitted.

I'm going to be painting my calipers (silver) when I get my AMG wheels sorted and fitted.

One waits with baited breath :D :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom